Military history novels

Dutch

Silver Member
Sep 11, 2009
Ohio
Anyone read some good nonfiction military history. I am reading 'To Conquer Hell: The Meuse Argonne, 1918 by Edward Lengel. It's a good read. Anyone else have some good books to check out? I recently read 'The Cat from Hue' by John Laurence also a good read.

Thanks. I'm enjoying Jeff Shara's trilogy (one vol left to go) about Grant's Mississippi campaign. But that's fiction, and your thread title is fiction.

I've started this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Mrs-Madisons-War-Independence/dp/1608190714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392070347&sr=1-1&keywords=madison%27s+war]Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War: America's First Couple and the Second War of Independence: Hugh Howard: 9781608190713: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Thanks. I'm enjoying Jeff Shara's trilogy (one vol left to go) about Grant's Mississippi campaign. But that's fiction, and your thread title is fiction.

I've started this

Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War: America's First Couple and the Second War of Independence: Hugh Howard: 9781608190713: Amazon.com: Books

Read all of Shara's novels. He is good but his dads book Killer Angels is byfar the best. Another Historical fiction writer I like is Steven Pressfield. He writes mainly about ancient Greece. Read The Afghan Campaign about Alexander The Great in Afghanistan. It's amazing that 2000 years ago the Macedonian army was having the same problems that the Soviets and USA had in Afghanistan.

Thanks. I found one by Bernard Cornwall I missed, 1356, and hope to reread the Sharpe novels in historical order, though I couldn't find the first two at the library. I got a stack of used books that I hope to get to the used book store soon.

I strongly recommend

SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR: US Army Europe's Intelligence and Counterintelligence Activities against the Soviets Paperback
by Leland McCaslin (Author) @ [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SECRETS-THE-COLD-WAR-Counterintelligence/dp/1908916915]SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR: US Army Europe's Intelligence and Counterintelligence Activities against the Soviets: Leland McCaslin: 9781908916914: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Lee spent over a decade in the headquarters of US Army Europe's intelligence offices and talls some great stories of what it was like during the Cold War.

I read ancient and current history/military/economic/sociology non-fiction books and have since I was 8.

I like David Drake's retellings of ancient military history as Sci-fi but Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles are outstanding as well. I found the later Sharpe's books self-derivative. The Indian trilogy, Trefalgar and Copenhagen books were a real let down. "Viktor Suvorov"'s books on Soviet intelligence and spec/ops are a real good read.

Gotta put Band of Brothers by Ambrose up there also. So much better than the series on HBO.

JFC Fuller (invented land air war doctrine in 1918) and Wellington are the most readable of Military historians.

Robert Massie's "Dreadnought", and "Castles of Steel" are exceptionally good reads. As far as historical novels go, I second the Sharpe series, very good indeed, and the Hornblower series by Forrester and the works of O'Brien as well.

"A Bright Shining Lie, John Paul Vaughn and America in Vietnam," is a great read on that era.

I also like fictional historical accounts, but not sure if you are interested in that.

Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger stuff is pretty good. Bob Lee Swagger was the Afghanistan, Iraq hero in the movie "Shooter" but in the novel he is an old Vietnam Vet. I forgot the name but he first Swagger novel about his USMC sniper experiences in Vietnam was powerful.

Forum List

Back