Military Guys, Current or Former

hylandrdet said:
Fair enough.

However, We should give a rat's butt because we prefer to fight for conversion to democracy. We're not fighting for total destuction, which is what Hi Tech weapons stand for. One bomb killing one insurgent and many bystanders is not the answer; if anything, its a successfull recruiting tool for the insurgents.

The muslims, who are seeking democracy, will appreciate our sacrifices when they see us dying besides them; versus watching a bomb kill their children, and few insurgents.

Hi tech weapons are designed to kill with convience and without a conscience; therefore they should be the true weapon of last resort.

As you said, fair enough. But, truthfully, everytime I ever deployed the high philosophy went into the bottom of the seabag. The immediate safety of my Marines was far more important to me than the "ideal" of the week. I'll call in air and arty and any other supporting arms whenever possible. There will come a time to fix bayonets and sound the charge, but why do it more than you have to?

pegwinn said:
As you said, fair enough. But, truthfully, everytime I ever deployed the high philosophy went into the bottom of the seabag. The immediate safety of my Marines was far more important to me than the "ideal" of the week. I'll call in air and arty and any other supporting arms whenever possible. There will come a time to fix bayonets and sound the charge, but why do it more than you have to?
And that, my friends is the bottom line. When it comes to a choice between my soldiers (or Marines!) and the enemy, I much prefer the enemy dies or gets wounded. As my Marine brother in arms said, once the shooting starts, that idealism goes out the window....I'll get back to them once the shooting stops.

CSM said:
Right on the money. Each military service has its role to play. In my opinion, each does it very well.

That's right, the Army fights, the Air Force bombs some folks then goes back to playing golf, the Navy goes in there and drinks all the beer, pisses all the women off and makes an ass of themselves, then the Marines go in there and make America look good all over again... its a never ending cycle :)

j/k, everyone has their role and plays it well.

Needless to say though, we are now a highly cooperative team of services. An Air Force E-8 who oversees the computer program I use onboard the ship told me of his experience in Aceh after the tsunami... he came ashore on an army helicopter that took off from a ship's flight deck, accompanied by marines. That's all 4 working together in various ways.

Forum List

Back