Mike Gravel Joins Libertarian Party

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago

...While Democratic Presidential candidate Mike Gravel has been flirting with the Libertarian Party for a while, it's now being reported that Gravel has officially joined the LP.

Stephen Gordon over at Third Party Watch is reporting:

I just got off the phone with Libertarian Party Executive Director Shane Cory and he confirms the following information: Former US Senator and Alaska House Speaker Mike Gravel has joined the Libertarian Party. Cory says he’ll provide more in a media release to be expected over the next few hours.

As of yet, there is no indication that he intends to throw his hat into the ring for the Presidential nominating race in the LP.

While his civil libertarianism is much to be commended and his social policies will fit into the mainstream of the Libertarian Party, it's not clear what many will make of his very anti-Libertarian economic beliefs....

This is a little strange to me, considering how far left this guy can be.

The only thing I really agree with him on is foreign policy. I'm not quite sure what he thinks the LP offers a guy like him with such liberal positions.

Isn't Kucinich a member as well? He's about as screwy left as anyone ....

Isn't Kucinich a member as well? He's about as screwy left as anyone ....

No, but there was a tiny group called "Libertarians for Kucinich"

This has to do with a massive split in the LP that the general public really isn't aware of. We have a massive Right Libertarian v. Left Libertarian rift, and Gravel is attractive because of his stances pro-civil liberties, anti-drug war, anti-Iraq war, choice, and such.

No, but there was a tiny group called "Libertarians for Kucinich"

This has to do with a massive split in the LP that the general public really isn't aware of. We have a massive Right Libertarian v. Left Libertarian rift, and Gravel is attractive because of his stances pro-civil liberties, anti-drug war, anti-Iraq war, choice, and such.

The problem is, Gravel doesn't really add much of a base of voters.

Since the LP is starting to look like the party that cares most about fiscal conservatism and true free markets, it would be nice if a couple noteworthy Republicans joined the LP.

I still like the idea of getting some of these "Ron Paul Republicans" elected to congress this year. There's about 5 or 6 with a real good shot.

In Syracuse's congressional district, the Dem is running unopposed. That means if one of those RP supporters up there threw their hat in the ring, we could possibly get an easy seat. That area seems ripe for a RP Republican too, I was just up there recently with my girlfriend who lived there for years.

Working hard here in NJ for Murray Sabrin too. The guy's got a great shot, he's being referred to as the front-runner.

Things are starting to get really interesting. RP not doing as well as expected was a kick in the balls, but there's still plenty of opportunity right now to get some things changed in congress.

Forum List

Back