might be thinking of an old practical car , daily driver , ready for

pismoe

Platinum Member
May 17, 2014
coast to coast travel or just a daily driver . I was thinking a Dodge slant six Dart , Ford Falcon or similar , maybe a Ford , Chevy , any American older car , thinking of the mid 60s , 70s . Thinking about the easiest to fix , repair , least gadget filled , best mpg , best parts availability and other practical considerations that I may not have thought about . Also thinking that a small station wagon would be nice . So , just looking for ideas Ladies and Gents . Think it was the 70s I had a slant 6 Dart of that era , it was an alright car , drove about 2000 miles on a trip one time with 3 adults and 2 kids and used it for work for a few years . Cruised at 60 or 70 mph I suppose !! All thoughts and ideas are welcome and appreciated . I want it to be decent and halfway nice , presentable looking but that's about it . Want something ready to go but I'd put some money into the car so parts availability is important .

Old cars ready to drive are expensive these days. Unless you can get a fixer and do it yourself it's kind of tough. Anything pre 72 is good if you can a hold of it.

Slant Sixes were indestructible. I had at least three of 'em. Yet somehow one of them threw a rod on me. But another one just purred and purred, we figured its odometer had turned at least four times by the time that car was wrecked.

I don't remember its mileage being all that great.. I could coax maybe 25-30 out of it downhill with a tailwind but I'm an experienced hypermiler.

But the Slant Six disappeared long ago to the Microsoft Mentality (it ain't broke, so fix it).

Then I ran across a similar engine when I bought a '93 Saturn that already had 211k on it.. I figured that's a track record.
It was. I put another 200 plus on that car, drove it all over 37 states and Canada, and it's still on the road today at half a million miles. That was the TwinCam engine. They do burn oil once they wear that far, but that car consistently gave me 40mpg, and busted 50 a few times. As long as I kept her away from ethanol, which is harder to do now.

Comfortable for those long trips, really reliable and sipped gas like a fine wine. And handled great -- I got out of some hairy situations in ways that just defied the laws of physics. So I'd get another one like that in a heartbeat.

Slant Six memory-
I was out in the woods one day and saw a cylindrical object embedded in the ground. Digging it out I immediately recognized what it was -- a starter from a Slant Six, tossed away as junk. I had crawled up under a few to change enough of them that it was instantly recognized. Two bolts off, tow bolts on. Simpler time for sure.

well , I've seen some Darts for under 10 grand and some nice looking ones on the internet for 5 grand . Both are reasonable in my opinion even if some work is needed . Everything is a gamble but I have a 25 year old Nissan pickup , runs perfect at about 150 thousand miles , still looks halfway good as the paint goes patina . Also have a Honda Fit 2011 , think its a 2011. Few weeks ago I was thinking Suburu Outback but MAY have changed my mind .

well , I've seen some Darts for under 10 grand and some nice looking ones on the internet for 5 grand . Both are reasonable in my opinion even if some work is needed . Everything is a gamble but I have a 25 year old Nissan pickup , runs perfect at about 150 thousand miles , still looks halfway good as the paint goes patina . Also have a Honda Fit 2011 , think its a 2011. Few weeks ago I was thinking Suburu Outback but MAY have changed my mind .

Darts from the '60s? '70s?
Another consideration for that era is going to be rust/structural integrity, especially frame and floor.

thank you guys , this is an example of what I have found --- 1970 DODGE DART For Sale All Collector Cars --- I musta had an earlier model as I think that it was more rounded in its looks but I'd find this acceptable for 10 grand . California car , claimed no rust but I'd inspect , travel and have it mechanically inspected before buying . Probably get rid of the pickup , maybe , its all Maybe as I'm just gathering info so thanks to all !!

yeah , I've thought of a VW bug , I blew up a super beetle in about 78 , think it was a 72 , nice little car but I didn't really take care of it . Went through the snow pretty good , also good on a dirt roads but kinda small even in the Super Beetle. I had a pair of vise grips attached to the throttle cable because the cable broke at the peddle and I would rather buy a few quarts of beer rather than a new cable and hey the vise grips worked . Anyway , if I got stuck in a snowbank on some road , I'd shorten the vise grips on the cable to the desired rpm , put the car in second gear , jump out , push the car and jump in as it was running down the road . Yep , simpler times and lotsa fun as I was about 28 !! :biggrin:

Old VW bug. Parts are still cheap and after market support is great!
There is a catch with the VW bug though, hit a box turtle, and DIE!
same thing with the Honda fit or my motorcycle Roadrunner !!
I lost too many friends in small cars back in the day.

I don't get on motorcycles, and drive full sized trucks.

Not that an idiot texting couldn't kill me the next time I drive though.

I lost too many friends in small cars back in the day.

I don't get on motorcycles, and drive full sized trucks.

Not that an idiot texting couldn't kill me the next time I drive though.
Lifted 82 Dodge 4x4 short box here. But always looking for another bug.

well yeah , texting is the new hazard but in traffic when I've gone thru big cities I see boneheads reading books and newspapers

I wouldn't mind a bigger truck but I don't think that I'd like the gas mileage . And the new more fuel efficient trucks , well I don't want to pay for them plus they have all the electronics , power windows , gadgets that I don't want like 'tpms'. Brother had a lifted 72 Dodge Power Wagon , nice truck but gas was about 30 - 40 cents a gallon.

Actually I've been looking at the Fit as the closest available replacement for the Saturn SW. Not quite as much cargo space but well designed in how the space is used. Excellent reviews on reliability, decent mileage, I'm prolly going there.

That whole "bulk = safety" mentality is a myth anyway. More bulk means less maneuverability. I'll take agility over lumbering bulkidude any day. My SW2 had a fiberglas body and weighs 2500 lbs. That thing will move like a gazelle. When it suddenly gets hairy -- that's what I want.

Your 1970 Dodge in the link is gonna be more bulky than agile methinks. American cars weren't getting built "tight" yet.

well yeah , texting is the new hazard but in traffic when I've gone thru big cities I see boneheads reading books and newspapers
I saw a woman reading a book with a baby in the car.

I rarely get involved but in this case I called the cops.

I then went on and took my dogs to the vet, and damned if that wasn't where the bitch was.

I just shook my head in disbelief, and let it go.

I finally figured if she didn't give a shit about the kid, why should I.

Fit is ok , not enough room in the back for my crazy purposes but ok for luggage and gear and our Sport Automatic was about 16 thousand brand new. Drove 2700 miles cross country one time , it did fine but its a little car . I fit easily and I'm 6'3" at 240 pounds but leg and head room is excellent , I could wear a cowboy hat and still be fine Pogo !! I get about 27 in my small town driving in the city and maybe 32 - 34 on the highway . Probably get better with a stick or if I was more careful . 60,000 miles so far , never a problem , I use Mobil one and do all maintenance and service by the book at HONDA !! Course I hate the electronics and electric windows . TPMS goes off with weather changes and the spare is a little spare tire .

Last edited:

Forum List

Back