Middle-Class Values...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
...is an expression that you don't hear much anymore, and I think it would be interesting for some sociologist to try to figure out why not.

When I was growing up, "middle-class values" was a positive, complimentary description of an ATTITUDE about life. Work hard. Be a good citizen. Get an education. Don't be envious or condescending. Spend your money prudently; buy a house; save for retirement. Get married early and settle down; have kids and raise them to be just like you. Life doesn't owe you anything. Take care of yourself and the people around you, including brothers & sisters, elderly parents, and your old drunken uncle. Unemployment comp is TEMPORARY and you'd damn well get off of it before long. Being on "welfare" is unimaginable - a disgrace to both you and your family.

Having a baby out of wedlock was a disgrace, but not as bad as getting an abortion (infanticide), so the vast majority of "middle class" girls were either virgins when they got married, or didn't "give it up" until they were convinced that they were in a truly committed relationship. Divorce was a disgrace, and to be avoided at all costs.

People who lacked "middle-class values" were the idle rich, the wastrels, the "undeserving poor," the guys who couldn't hold down a job because they were general fuck-ups.

The sons of people with middle-class values tended to enlist in the military services if they didn't go to college - when a Private made $85 a month.

"Colored people" were especially encouraged to have middle-class values, because in living life according to that Code they could get into, and remain in, the Middle Class. The WORST insult that you could say to a Colored Person was to call them a "Black Bastard." Think about that; now more than 70% of "Black" infants are exactly that. But one mustn't be judgmental, must one?

AND WHAT HAPPENED?

The Bleeding Hearts of the world decided that there was no such thing as blame or merit; we all just live the lives that are pre-ordained for us. To look at other peoples' behavior in a judgmental way was the Ultimate Sin. "We," as a society needed to take care of "those who cannot take care of themselves," and we dare not judge the factors that led to their wretchedness, because to do so would be JUDGMENTAL!

Social Security is a good example of the ruination of American society. Until relatively recently, it was understood that YOU COULD NOT LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY. That was not part of the deal. SS was intended to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement savings and any company pension plan you might have had. On the other hand, it was PRESUMED that by the time you retired your house would be paid off and you could live on less than younger people could. But if there was no pension or significant savings, it was assumed that the adult children would take care of the old retirees, even if it meant they would come to live with the younger family. (I had a grandparent living in my household from the time I was 4 until I went into the Army at 19).

But the Boomers flooded the fictitious "Social Security Trust Fund" with oceans of money - far more than was needed to dole out the pittances that SS called for, so Congress increased the monthly payments dramatically, added disability "retirement" to the program, and indexed the benefits so they would never actually be eroded by inflation.

And now the Old Bastards are out on their own. The family doesn't have to take care of them any more because Uncle Sugar sends them enough cash to live on, and pays for most their medical bills. People go MONTHS without even speaking to their elderly parents, who live in a far-away town and are always talking about their ailments and doctor visits. To kids growing up to day, grandparents are nothing more than Gift Machines, who have to be tolerated for a couple hours on holidays and birthdays.

And people who have babies out of wedlock are not to be scorned - NO, that would be JUDGMENTAL - they are to be pitied and taken care of.

And the results of that fine philosophy are right there for everyone to see.

Middle-class values. Bring 'em back. Be judgmental as hell.

There are far too many items in your post for me to discuss - I don't have the time.

"Middle class values" to me was an effort by parents to get their children to follow their beliefs and philosophies. "This is the way we did it and you should do the same."

However, there WERE some values that made society civil and less divisive than we currently have.

We listened to what others had to say without attacking them.
We felt that competition was a way to improve one's abilities and goals.
We believed that attending church - any church - was "good for the soul."
We sought to meet and get to know our neighbors and to create a social group that gave us a sense of security. Yes, some were bigoted but generally reflected the people who lived in the area.
We felt schools that taught OUR children should share OUR values and give them a chance to get ahead in life. We expected teachers and administrators to do their jobs - or seek employment elsewhere.
And, we expected those we elected to office to do their jobs and represent our wishes.

I for one would live to see this return. :)

The only value that the middle class has is to be the buffer between the elite and the lower classes.

Everything else that you listed ran on prime-time in 30 minute episodes.

Say what you want about Ozzie and Harriet, most of the households I was aware of lived their lives pretty much the same way - even though we were somewhat lower on the economic totem pole than the Nelson's (our "allowances" were the reverse of theirs; we had to PITCH IN money, not get it out).

The idea that most "middle class" households were disfunctional is total bullshit. In my entire grade school class, there were maybe one or two kids who were not living with their biological parents, and those kids were still living with two parents in an intact household. The same was basically true in the nearby "colored" neighborhoods as well.

Middle class encompassed the vast majority of the population, as it does now.

And a thought about public figures, especially "star" atheletes. They uniformly showed humility and grace when interviewed. They never belittled their opponents even when it might have been understandable.

It is impossible to over-estimate the deleterious effect that "Cassius Clay" had in this regard. Once he started his disgraceful public rampages everything changed for the worse.

...is an expression that you don't hear much anymore, and I think it would be interesting for some sociologist to try to figure out why not.

When I was growing up, "middle-class values" was a positive, complimentary description of an ATTITUDE about life. Work hard. Be a good citizen. Get an education. Don't be envious or condescending. Spend your money prudently; buy a house; save for retirement. Get married early and settle down; have kids and raise them to be just like you. Life doesn't owe you anything. Take care of yourself and the people around you, including brothers & sisters, elderly parents, and your old drunken uncle. Unemployment comp is TEMPORARY and you'd damn well get off of it before long. Being on "welfare" is unimaginable - a disgrace to both you and your family.

Having a baby out of wedlock was a disgrace, but not as bad as getting an abortion (infanticide), so the vast majority of "middle class" girls were either virgins when they got married, or didn't "give it up" until they were convinced that they were in a truly committed relationship. Divorce was a disgrace, and to be avoided at all costs.

People who lacked "middle-class values" were the idle rich, the wastrels, the "undeserving poor," the guys who couldn't hold down a job because they were general fuck-ups.

The sons of people with middle-class values tended to enlist in the military services if they didn't go to college - when a Private made $85 a month.

"Colored people" were especially encouraged to have middle-class values, because in living life according to that Code they could get into, and remain in, the Middle Class. The WORST insult that you could say to a Colored Person was to call them a "Black Bastard." Think about that; now more than 70% of "Black" infants are exactly that. But one mustn't be judgmental, must one?

AND WHAT HAPPENED?

The Bleeding Hearts of the world decided that there was no such thing as blame or merit; we all just live the lives that are pre-ordained for us. To look at other peoples' behavior in a judgmental way was the Ultimate Sin. "We," as a society needed to take care of "those who cannot take care of themselves," and we dare not judge the factors that led to their wretchedness, because to do so would be JUDGMENTAL!

Social Security is a good example of the ruination of American society. Until relatively recently, it was understood that YOU COULD NOT LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY. That was not part of the deal. SS was intended to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement savings and any company pension plan you might have had. On the other hand, it was PRESUMED that by the time you retired your house would be paid off and you could live on less than younger people could. But if there was no pension or significant savings, it was assumed that the adult children would take care of the old retirees, even if it meant they would come to live with the younger family. (I had a grandparent living in my household from the time I was 4 until I went into the Army at 19).

But the Boomers flooded the fictitious "Social Security Trust Fund" with oceans of money - far more than was needed to dole out the pittances that SS called for, so Congress increased the monthly payments dramatically, added disability "retirement" to the program, and indexed the benefits so they would never actually be eroded by inflation.

And now the Old Bastards are out on their own. The family doesn't have to take care of them any more because Uncle Sugar sends them enough cash to live on, and pays for most their medical bills. People go MONTHS without even speaking to their elderly parents, who live in a far-away town and are always talking about their ailments and doctor visits. To kids growing up to day, grandparents are nothing more than Gift Machines, who have to be tolerated for a couple hours on holidays and birthdays.

And people who have babies out of wedlock are not to be scorned - NO, that would be JUDGMENTAL - they are to be pitied and taken care of.

And the results of that fine philosophy are right there for everyone to see.

Middle-class values. Bring 'em back. Be judgmental as hell.

Debt-Locked: Student Loans Force Millennials to Delay Life Milestones

If you graduated with $100K in loans and you didn't get a GREAT job right after college this is putting off EVERYTHING. Getting married, having kids, buying your first home and retirement. EVERYTHING.

I really don't know what middle class values are anymore. Living together, kids out of wedlock, nobody cares. You don't dare criticize someone living with a guy who makes great money, but they don't get married because she would lose her benefits, etc. People on are disability for all kinds of things, and you can't criticize that, heck no. So, what are the values now? I dont' know.

Less and less young working people are getting married and Gavin kids. They are figuring out that it is better to not do these things unless you at making six figures. I don't blame them one bit. With the rising cost of everything and wages going down or stagnating we should not expect them to ha married...etc. Despite what some day this doesn't hurt the country. Young people want to work and have fun over Gavin a family. Times are a changing.

Forum List

Back