Microsoft takes a major hit

Yes I noticed that you skimmed over the fact Linux needs 20% of the disk space and can operate just as fast with 1/5th the RAM.
Windows, is by definition, spyware. It became exactly opposite what an operating system is supposed to be - a platform for applications to run on. Nothing else.
Windows is only still running due to it's enormous collaboration with PC makers in the 90s that gave it over 98% marketshare.
However, their market share is dwindling. Down to 70% now. At this rate it will be less than half by 2035.
But it will be sooner than that.
And that is not wishful thinking. It is reality.
Since it is long ago since I installed Linux, I don´t know how much drive and memory they consume. But it is a dumb argument for several reasons. At first, you can take influence on the amount of drive space Windows consumes, you can adjust the size of the page file, you can relocate folders like documents and stuff like that. Second, Windows reserves RAM, the more you install, the more will be reserved. Third, it really doesn´t matter, even SSDs are cheap as fuck.
Telemetry on Windows is extensive, that is for sure, even Powershell does it. It is a bad habit, and apparently doesn´t lead to improvements the users would like. But is Windows the only one? What about Ubuntu? They were the first to include comprehensive Telemetry in an OS. Does Telemetry say "Bleipriester just started Starfield"? No. It says "Starfield has been launched on some computer out there". But there should be an overall opt-out at least.
And yes, Windows has been losing market share. To MacOS. But Apple-computers aren´t like the ordinary PC. They don´t even allow to install another OS, you will need third party tools to install Windows or Linux on a Mac. So I wonder where you take your joy from, it is way more restrictive.

Bliepriester is living in the 1990s.
"Switching to Linux is a nightmare".... it was in the early gui days of RH 7.0 etc.
That was a long time ago.
Installing a modern distro like Mint is easier and faster than installing Windows.
It takes up about 20% of the space, and can do all that you do with about 20% of the RAM.
I have said it for at least 10 years, if the average person used Linux for a week... they would likely not gp back to Windows except .... to play games.
Can you run windows applications under Linux without installing windows?

Installing Windows is so easy, a fly can do it. Installing Mint and Ubuntu is easy too but it lacks a point. This is not whether they are adequate operating systems or not, its just like replacing Android with Windows 11.
:wtf: You really don't have a clue, do ya.........

Last January Microsoft's Windows and Devices division lost a whopping 39% and projections are they will lose at minimum 24% in fiscal 2024.
Does this signal the beginning of the end for Microsoft? As wonderful as that may sound I doubt it will happen any time soon. Because of this Microsoft appears to be doubling down on their pushiness that is making their users more unhappy. Nadella has even remarked that Windows will more and more become a "billboard" for advertisers.

Can Microsoft recover from the collapse of its Surface business?

Why buy a tablet for several hundred to a few thousand bucks when you can buy one for a couple hundred that does what you need it to do? Inflation really clamps down on discretionary spending like that.

Why buy a tablet for several hundred to a few thousand bucks when you can buy one for a couple hundred that does what you need it to do? Inflation really clamps down on discretionary spending like that.

Microsoft has never got any hardware it has ever made right.
None. They all failed. Every single one of them.
The only hardware success Microsoft has ever had is one they bought - Xbox.
They fail at everything because they can. And why it can is it makes 60% of it's total revenue on two products that it doesn't have to do anything to earn it except that it exist - Microsoft Office and Server / Cloud services. They make so much money off of it that they can afford to be such losers in other areas.
In 2022 - they lost $1.43 billion in hardware sales. They lost $4.7 billion in gaming!!
But - they made nearly $20 billion in Microsoft Office alone! Another $12 billion in cloud services.
Another $5 billion in licensing Windows.
The company, for whatever reason, has so irrationally been willing to constantly fail in endeavors it absolutely sucks at. And just keeps doggingly thinking it can.

I have no idea, you tell me..........

Not even a good deflection, that's not what I was referring too.......
This is going in circles. My mother told me to never argue with fools, those watching can't tell the difference........ So have a great life.
Yeah, there is an insurmountable barrier that prevents any constructive debate with you. I on my part want an operating system that does its job. For that I add my customization to the OS and have minimal effort installing it.
You on the other hand present a bootloader or something with 1 Windows and 100 iterations of Linux, of which 99 serve no purpose, 100 if you count Windows´ integrated Linux. It is the inevitable result of staunch anti-Microsoft militarism, fanaticism and lunacy.

Yeah, there is an insurmountable barrier that prevents any constructive debate with you. I on my part want an operating system that does its job. For that I add my customization to the OS and have minimal effort installing it.
You on the other hand present a bootloader or something with 1 Windows and 100 iterations of Linux, of which 99 serve no purpose, 100 if you count Windows´ integrated Linux. It is the inevitable result of staunch anti-Microsoft militarism, fanaticism and lunacy.
If you think that about Ringle - then you are not paying attention.

Like I said before he's like the classic Glock fanboi. Any criticism of their beloved and revered product (real or imagined) is not tolerated. It's taken as a personal affront eliciting a knee jerk defensive reaction. Which is why arguing with him is an exercise in futility and he proves that every time..
Heck he thinks I hate Microsoft because they're a business doing what businesses do. No I hate Microsoft because they take the advertising shotgun approach via their OS and don't allow us users to completely opt out of it. Even Google allows me to completely opt out of all advertising, not just personally directed advertising. Of course I hate unsolicited advertising in general......... Yes, their terms of use state you will be advertised to but if you need to use Windows for any reason you're then stuck in a catch 22 situation. I'm a gamer who's favorite games are Windows based so I need Windows to play them hence catch 22.
The OP was intended to provide a base for discussion on Microsoft's current financial losses and if indeed may be the beginning of the end of Microsoft not which OS was better which is where he takes the discussion every time.
This is why responding directly to him is a waste of my time and will no longer occur.

Last edited:
What are these stupid copies of Linux about then? I can take a copy of Windows, apply themes/visual styles found online even over the setup and call it "BP OS". So I do that a hundred times and put them all into my bootloder and my doctor increases the medication.

Last January Microsoft's Windows and Devices division lost a whopping 39% and projections are they will lose at minimum 24% in fiscal 2024.
Does this signal the beginning of the end for Microsoft? As wonderful as that may sound I doubt it will happen any time soon. Because of this Microsoft appears to be doubling down on their pushiness that is making their users more unhappy. Nadella has even remarked that Windows will more and more become a "billboard" for advertisers.

Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They own way too much.

Not only do they own a large amount of companies but they own a lot of things most people don't think about like back end server software, and a ton of stuff most don't know anything about

Then you have all of their acquisitions.

Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They own way too much.

Not only do they own a large amount of companies but they own a lot of things most people don't think about like back end server software, and a ton of stuff most don't know anything about

Then you have all of their acquisitions.

That is only a small part of their revenue stream.
They are vulnerable because 35% of their revenue comes from gullible people who still pay for Microsoft Office. Their market cap has been in a slow/steady decline for over 10 years.
10 years ago I would say as little as 5% of office software users ever heard of Libre or Open Office... today I would say more than 30% know about them. Add to that Google Docs with it's growing share - and that puts 30% of Microsofts revenue in major jeopardy.
Their revenue growth is about half what it was 10 years ago, despite the number of purchases they have made.
They are still a VERY strong company, but shrinking. At some point they will hit several levels of critical mass and have to downsize.

I'm done with MSFT. This PC is my last Windows product. Worse POS "software" company in human history. And this is AFTER I survived Windows ME

With the big three (Mint, Ubuntu & Fedora) the learning curve is easy. Well Fedora is a bit techier........
Also starting with Win10 up to now I've used Winaero Tweaker to block or completely delete almost all of Microsoft's most unwanted aspects and apps. StartisBack for the old Start Menus.

That's great, it works for you. Some of us want more control, I don't just want to shut off all of these apps/etc I want them gone, I don't want them on my computer. That would work for me, it's called personal choice.......... You don't have to agree.
So, you know you can use Linux to delete just about anything from a Windows install, right?

As to what it breaks, well that's trial and error.

I have one with Cortana and Edge gone. That works fine, but it's not modern enough to run all the games. :(

All the update stuff..deleted.

There's this to start with..

Then you can boot into your windows and do some safe BlackViper turning offs,

then boot in again and see what's running in the background that you don't want to.

Write it down and go to linux and kapoof it.

Forum List

Back