Microsoft bans "small percentage" of Live accounts - Death Threats in Reaction

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Microsoft bans "small percentage" of Live accounts // News

Microsoft has banned a number of Xbox Live accounts from the online service in a bid to prevent the owners of modded consoles using the service.

The platform holder warned last week it would be suspending access to Xbox Live for anybody who had modified their console in order to play pirated discs, although the action won't prevent people from playing games offline.

Although the company declined to release specific numbers, some reports have placed the amount of accounts banned at 600,000 of the 20 million-plus total

I wouldn't call 3% of the total users to be small, but that's just me.

In response to this:

Microsoft has started a new wave of 360 bans and this has angered many pirates. Banned users are actually making threatening calls to the director of Xbox Live's policy enforcement.

Stephen Toulouse logged into an IRC channel from where the problem seemed to start and pleaded that the threatening calls to him and his family should stop.

Banned 360 users call and threaten to kill Xbox Live policy director - ConsoleTECH Forum

Some people take video games way too seriously.

... and now you see why I hate the new master of Microsucks so much ... they don't like people who know about technology even so much as owning their products, much less using them. ;)

I just thought of something mean to do ... I can use an emulator from Linux and mask it as a legitimate X-Box ... but I don't want to waste the bandwidth ... meh ... maybe when I get really bored again sometime.

Microsoft bans "small percentage" of Live accounts // News

Microsoft has banned a number of Xbox Live accounts from the online service in a bid to prevent the owners of modded consoles using the service.

The platform holder warned last week it would be suspending access to Xbox Live for anybody who had modified their console in order to play pirated discs, although the action won't prevent people from playing games offline.

Although the company declined to release specific numbers, some reports have placed the amount of accounts banned at 600,000 of the 20 million-plus total
I wouldn't call 3% of the total users to be small, but that's just me.

In response to this:

Microsoft has started a new wave of 360 bans and this has angered many pirates. Banned users are actually making threatening calls to the director of Xbox Live's policy enforcement.

Stephen Toulouse logged into an IRC channel from where the problem seemed to start and pleaded that the threatening calls to him and his family should stop.
Banned 360 users call and threaten to kill Xbox Live policy director - ConsoleTECH Forum

Some people take video games way too seriously.
Lot of nuts out there. Hey, I wonder if playing the video games made them violent. :eusa_eh:

... and now you see why I hate the new master of Microsucks so much ... they don't like people who know about technology even so much as owning their products, much less using them. ;)

You're not saying this is Microsoft's fault are you?

You're not saying this is Microsoft's fault are you?

Partially ... yes, often who is at fault is not as simple as pointing fingers. But meh, they should have embraced open source like everyone else, then this would never have been an issue ... and more people would likely buy their crap X-Box to. ;)

Partially ... yes, often who is at fault is not as simple as pointing fingers. But meh, they should have embraced open source like everyone else, then this would never have been an issue ... and more people would likely buy their crap X-Box to. ;)

They banned people from live for clearly breaking of the rules in their TOS. It's not right when people modify their game systems to illegally play video games. They had the right to do this.

They banned people from live for clearly breaking of the rules in their TOS. It's not right when people modify their game systems to illegally play video games. They had the right to do this.

You do realize, that according to the "rules", anything you purchase second hand is considered "pirated" by them, right?

Damn those Fascisoft assholes! How dare they take steps to protect their proprietary assets from theft! Fucking Scum. :evil:

You do realize, that according to the "rules", anything you purchase second hand is considered "pirated" by them, right?

Link? And we both know exactly what Microsoft was going around banning people for.

You are fucking RETARDED. used games are not considered equal to pirated fucking disks, retard.

WOW. Talk about a fucking shill.

:lol:

Damn those Fascisoft assholes! How dare they take steps to protect their proprietary assets from theft! Fucking Scum. :evil:

There's a problem here ... not all things considered "pirate" are stolen. ;) Again, most companies have addressed the issue of second hand, even Apple has made strides to include the use of second hand products, while Microsucks makes no such exemptions. Just hooking up a "non-official" item to one of their products is also considered "pirating". Anythig homegrown that you add to one of the consoles makes it against their "rules". They are being heavy handed, to keep people stuck to their teet.

I just thought of something mean to do ... I can use an emulator from Linux and mask it as a legitimate X-Box ... but I don't want to waste the bandwidth ... meh ... maybe when I get really bored again sometime.

This is the sort of thing that Microsoft is trying to prevent by the way.

There's a problem here ... not all things considered "pirate" are stolen. ;) Again, most companies have addressed the issue of second hand, even Apple has made strides to include the use of second hand products, while Microsucks makes no such exemptions. Just hooking up a "non-official" item to one of their products is also considered "pirating". Anythig homegrown that you add to one of the consoles makes it against their "rules". They are being heavy handed, to keep people stuck to their teet.

If you want to use their online services, you must adhere to their rules. The majority of the people who were "pirating" stuff were using stolen games and such. There are plenty of people for example who had pirated the new Call of Duty game for 360 and were playing it offline before it came out.

And the death threats are still fucking stupid.

WOW you are really showing what kind of batshit crazy fanboi fodder you are today, koder. And, it's their product. They have the same right to do THE SAME THINK APPLE DID WITH MAC CLONES, UNLOCKED CELL PHONE, UNWANTED APPS, AND IPOD HACKS. Jesus fucking christ, koder. your zealotry makes me laugh.

This is the sort of thing that Microsoft is trying to prevent by the way.

You missed my point ... look closer at the statement ... if I did it, they wouldn't know, anyone with programming experience can get away with it, no matter what they do. The ones they are punishing are not the people who are really doing anything wrong, thus the backlash through emails and phone messages :rofl: anyone with real technical knowledge would respond (if they bothered) with something a little more dastardly. I would give out tons of the hacks across the globe if I cared enough to actually play v-games like those. True pirates would send viruses to the network in a flash. Tech geek v-gamers who did care would likely hack the server and mess up every account, just for shits and grins. No, these people phoning in and emailing likely bought their X-Box from someone who was bored with it or needed some spare cash, they are most likely not even the ones who made mods to them in the first place. But meh ... this will likely boost Playstation's sales and Nintendo's as well, which is cool. Nintendo is nice to us programmers, they let us emulate their old systems so people will be encouraged to buy their newer ones for game sequels, and Playstation not only lets us create emulators, they give us the libraries to make games for their systems ... for free. So meh ... the less popular Microsucks is in the gaming world the better games will be.

All that aside, emulators are not illegal even if the company does not allow them, logging onto their server with one is not illegal but a break of their TOS only, yet ... in the hands of a coder, they would never know the difference. :cool: Just most of us coders are too busy making the games to bother.

WOW you are really showing what kind of batshit crazy fanboi fodder you are today, koder. And, it's their product. They have the same right to do THE SAME THINK APPLE DID WITH MAC CLONES, UNLOCKED CELL PHONE, UNWANTED APPS, AND IPOD HACKS. Jesus fucking christ, koder. your zealotry makes me laugh.

Apple is recanting their app restrictions. ;) As for your unlocked reference, that just shows how little you know about tech. Thanks for proving you are clueless. :cool:

You missed my point ... look closer at the statement ... if I did it, they wouldn't know, anyone with programming experience can get away with it, no matter what they do. The ones they are punishing are not the people who are really doing anything wrong, thus the backlash through emails and phone messages :rofl: anyone with real technical knowledge would respond (if they bothered) with something a little more dastardly. I would give out tons of the hacks across the globe if I cared enough to actually play v-games like those. True pirates would send viruses to the network in a flash. Tech geek v-gamers who did care would likely hack the server and mess up every account, just for shits and grins. No, these people phoning in and emailing likely bought their X-Box from someone who was bored with it or needed some spare cash, they are most likely not even the ones who made mods to them in the first place. But meh ... this will likely boost Playstation's sales and Nintendo's as well, which is cool. Nintendo is nice to us programmers, they let us emulate their old systems so people will be encouraged to buy their newer ones for game sequels, and Playstation not only lets us create emulators, they give us the libraries to make games for their systems ... for free. So meh ... the less popular Microsucks is in the gaming world the better games will be.

All that aside, emulators are not illegal even if the company does not allow them, logging onto their server with one is not illegal but a break of their TOS only, yet ... in the hands of a coder, they would never know the difference. :cool: Just most of us coders are too busy making the games to bother.

I got your point, it wouldn't make it anymore right. If people who make death threats over this by calling up someone's home and threatening their wife for example, they deserve to be banned from Xbox Live. I'm appalled at you defending some of these psychos.

Your hate for Microsoft is blinding you clearly. For example, just because someone doesn't know you murdered someone, doesn't make it okay. You seriously need to get your head checked. NOTHING Microsoft does would make it alright to threaten a man's family.

Last edited:

I got your point, it wouldn't make it anymore right. If people who make death threats over this by calling up someone's home and threatening their wife for example, they deserve to be banned from Xbox Live. I'm appalled at you defending some of these psychos.

Your hate for Microsoft is blinding you clearly. Just because someone doesn't know you murdered someone, doesn't make it okay. You seriously need to get your head checked. NOTHING Microsoft does would make it alright to threaten a man's family.

So ... you are all for punishing people who buy products used to save a few bucks ... good to know! :lol:

Apple is recanting their app restrictions. ;) As for your unlocked reference, that just shows how little you know about tech. Thanks for proving you are clueless. :cool:

HA! whatever you say, you dumb bitch. Notice you have yet to post a singe source as requested following your asinine statements. I know I know.. insist that you are the expert and that everyone ELSE is the ignorant ones. Like I said, retard, this is the same shit even your apple messiah did when trying to preserve the integrity of their product's business model. But hey.. don't let EVIDENCE shit on your keyboard or anything.

:rofl:

The class-action filing complained that "Apple forced plaintiff and the class members to pay substantially more for the iPhone and cell phone service than they would have paid in a competitive marketplace either for the iPhone or for AT&T's cell phone service". There is also some legal background for these complaints. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 states that mobile phone owners have a right to unlock such devices for personal use.

Because of this, Apple's move to brick unlocked iPhones with the v1.1.1 firmware update was a violation of consumer rights. The problem is that some people paid the termination fee to the operator and then had the right of legally unlocking their devices. Apple destroyed them with the latest firmware upgrade, although they had done nothing
New Lawsuit Against Apple's Bricking of Unlocked iPhones - Apple's in trouble.... - Softpedia

Forum List

Back