Mercedes Benz gains level 3 autopilot computer driving in Nevada. A first.

And people do not want to travel by train because we do not have a more robust rail system in the US.

Which is the chicken and which is the egg?

That's not why people don't want to travel using public transportation. We like to go where we want to go and when we want to. Public transportation doesn't provide that. You have to get up extra early to catch a train or bus on their schedule, not yours. You have to do the same returning from work. And what if you want to stop at the grocery store or fast food place on the way home? Big problem using public transportation.

You could waste money on 10,000 new rail systems and still nobody would want them.

One does not have to give up their car in order to have a functioning rail system in a county. It does not have to be one or the other. This is just American stupidity in play.

Maybe but who would end up paying for it? Certainly not the few passengers it carries.

One does not have to give up their car in order to have a functioning rail system in a county. It does not have to be one or the other. This is just American stupidity in play.

If you believe that why haven't you found investors and created it? You'd be a billionaire by now given how much people want this system according to you.

If you believe that why haven't you found investors and created it? You'd be a billionaire by now given how much people want this system according to you.

As I said...American stupidity in play.

Too many people like you and Ray.

Same reason we have a all powerful duopoly, people will not break out of their programing.

The question was why dont we have a more robust rail system in the US. The reason is people dont want to travel by train.
There aren`t many people alive today that have ever taken the train. How do they know they won`t like it?
Maybe but who would end up paying for it? Certainly not the few passengers it carries.
Our gas tax doesn`t come close to paying for the roads and bridges. Like every other form of transportation, it is subsidized. If rail was modernized and became popular, perhaps we could stop pouring concrete everywhere and filling potholes.

Ignorant, brain-dead comments such as this is why people here don't take you seriously...

Our gas tax doesn`t come close to paying for the roads and bridges. Like every other form of transportation, it is subsidized. If rail was modernized and became popular, perhaps we could stop pouring concrete everywhere and filling potholes.

Of course our roads are paid for by fuel taxes. Do you realize what we truck drivers pay just in diesel fuel alone in taxes? Then there are taxes for every mile a vehicle over 3 axles drives on our roads. We have to keep track of that to pay taxes on.

Same reason we have a all powerful duopoly, people will not break out of their programing.

Yes, you hit it on the head: too many people like us that would never use public transportation unless forced to. Trust me, if industry thought they could make a profit on public transportation, they would have been on it years ago. But when they talk about new rail systems, who do they stick the bill to? That's right, taxpayers.

So Im just stupid because I dont want to ride a train. If only I were as smart as you I would understand why I should want to ride the train. Is that the argument?

Compelling.

What programing? The programing that I dont want to pay more to take longer to get somewhere? I would cost me less and take less time for me to drive from Boston to Charlotte than ride on a train. What's the upside other than someone else is doing the "driving", only slower...

There aren`t many people alive today that have ever taken the train. How do they know they won`t like it?

Boston to Charlotte.

Plane. $120 2.5 hours Leave/Arrive their schedule.
Car. $ 200 12.5 hours. Leave/arrive my schedule.
Train. $ 200. 17.5 hours. Leave arrive their schedule.

Pros/cons.
Plane

Pros.
cheap
fast

Cons
not necessarily convenient arrive/leave time
have to rent a car at destination or arrange seperate transport.

Car.

Pro
Convenient
No need to arrange transport at my destinantion

Con
Long trip
have to drive
more expensive

train
Pro
Dont have to drive

Con
expensive
have to arrange transport
takes for fucking ever

don’t have to rode on the train to know which one I’m choosing.

Driving is freedom for many people. Even with any aggravations. The government has intruded on us on all other ways. This is difficult to give up.

Driving is freedom for many people. Even with any aggravations. The government has intruded on us on all other ways. This is difficult to give up.

They have intruded on that as well. Silly things like mandatory seatbelt use and speed limits and all that jazz

They have intruded on that as well. Silly things like mandatory seatbelt use and speed limits and all that jazz
All of that, however we are still encapsulated alone or a few others in privacy and a potential more relaxing environment.

Amen to this and because they program computers and are the ones who have to re-start them when they freeze up, I don't want to know what will happen if vehicles are soon ran by a computer more than they already are.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
SMDH...

Boston to Charlotte.

Plane. $120 2.5 hours Leave/Arrive their schedule.
Car. $ 200 12.5 hours. Leave/arrive my schedule.
Train. $ 200. 17.5 hours. Leave arrive their schedule.

Pros/cons.
Plane

Pros.
cheap
fast

Cons
not necessarily convenient arrive/leave time
have to rent a car at destination or arrange seperate transport.

Car.

Pro
Convenient
No need to arrange transport at my destinantion

Con
Long trip
have to drive
more expensive

train
Pro
Dont have to drive

Con
expensive
have to arrange transport
takes for fucking ever

don’t have to rode on the train to know which one I’m choosing.

Do you have anxiety? Honest question. Putting everything into terms of dollars and time suggests you might. High blood pressure, maybe? Seriously, those are things.

When I travel, I enjoy the journey. Business travel is one thing. I want to get in and get out as fast as I can.

But leisure? Why rush that? The trip; the actual traveling part, has always been something I enjoy. I did a six week road trip last year, from Florida to Boston to Seattle to Boston to Florida, and I wouldn't have wanted that trip to be even a single a day shorter. I enjoyed every minute of it.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who says that traveling by train isn't an enjoyable experience is someone who has never traveled by train...

Forum List

Back