Men With Beards Have More Germs Than Dogs: Study

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
All the bearded guys in the study had high microbial counts, compared with only 23 out of 30 dogs tested. Conclusion? Dogs are fine to share MRI machines.

Looks like men with beards are going to be dogged with charges of bad hygiene.

That’s because a new study suggests that bearded guys actually have more germs than a dog’s fur.

Researchers at the Hirslanden Clinic near Zurich, Switzerland, wanted to determine whether evaluating humans and dogs in the same MRI scanner would be hygienic.

They did so by comparing the bacterial load in colony-forming units (CFU) of human-pathogenic microorganisms in specimens taken from 18 bearded men and 30 furry dogs.

The researchers also compared the extent of bacterial contamination of an MRI scanner used by both dogs and humans with two other MRI scanners used exclusively by humans.

Turns out all the bearded bros showed high microbial counts, compared with only 23 out of 30 dogs. In fact, seven of the men had so much beard bacteria they were at risk of getting sick, according to the BBC.

The jointly used scanner also had significantly lower bacteria counts than the scanners used only by humans.

More: Men With Beards Have More Germs Than Dogs: Study

Well, no more beards for me! What do you think?

What about dogs with beards?

BrusselsGriffon-beard.jpg

All the bearded guys in the study had high microbial counts, compared with only 23 out of 30 dogs tested. Conclusion? Dogs are fine to share MRI machines.

Looks like men with beards are going to be dogged with charges of bad hygiene.

That’s because a new study suggests that bearded guys actually have more germs than a dog’s fur.

Researchers at the Hirslanden Clinic near Zurich, Switzerland, wanted to determine whether evaluating humans and dogs in the same MRI scanner would be hygienic.

They did so by comparing the bacterial load in colony-forming units (CFU) of human-pathogenic microorganisms in specimens taken from 18 bearded men and 30 furry dogs.

The researchers also compared the extent of bacterial contamination of an MRI scanner used by both dogs and humans with two other MRI scanners used exclusively by humans.

Turns out all the bearded bros showed high microbial counts, compared with only 23 out of 30 dogs. In fact, seven of the men had so much beard bacteria they were at risk of getting sick, according to the BBC.

The jointly used scanner also had significantly lower bacteria counts than the scanners used only by humans.

More: Men With Beards Have More Germs Than Dogs: Study

Well, no more beards for me! What do you think?
I`ve always thought that beards look trashy. I guess they really are.

To me, if the facial hair is taken care of the right way, it only makes a guy look even better. My most favorite person to have any is my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys.

157006.jpg

God bless you and those who have loved him longer than me always!!!

Holly (forever wishing that I had discovered him sooner)

P.S. Steve is the one who is at the top of the page and from 1987-1995 it was him who took over for the member who still doesn't know how to not look like a lost ZZ Top member...from time to time, I have wondered if his beard has ever once gotten caught in the zipper of his pants. :D :D :D

Forum List

Back