Media Statues: Evolved Democracy

Sep 22, 2013
Will media change our role-models/gods (or create new ones)?

This social-critique was inspired by Big Trouble in Little China and references media-era 'avatars' Cyclonus (a fictional warrior-robot) and Kitana (a fictional warrior-princess).

Signing off,

eagle.jpg

====

American super-celebrities Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise were interested in intellectual properties relevant/symbolic to/of modernism imagination, and they recently made the modern civilization themed films Charlie Wilson's War and Edge of Tomorrow. Hanks and Cruise were buddies (in fact) and decided to start studying the social phenomenon of the Transformers (Hasbro) A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) fantasy-adventure franchise in America/Hollywood. In particular, Hanks and Cruise were intrigued by the G1 (Generation One) Transformers evil first-knight robot Cyclonus (a wolfish robot warrior who transformers into a laser-enhanced futuristic jet-fighter plane). However, Cruise's son (a big fan of the popular combat-themed Mortal Kombat video-game series) showed Cruise and Hanks a portrait of the Mortal Kombat female princess-warrior Kitana (suggesting that she serves as a 'pro-democracy diplomat' and hence challenges the 'Machiavellian dominion' of their favorite Transformer Cyclonus). Hanks and Cruise realized Kitana posed a serious challenge in this intellectual property 'battle' over the 'courage-values' in modern civilization.

kitana8.jpg

Kitana was the perfect female-warrior, a dash of Joan of Arc, and a dash of Aeon Flux. She represented the best of what humans imagined regarding the magic and power of the female gender. Kitana was not a standard princess and a great 'advocate' of war and crusades, but she wasn't a fanatic of any kind. Kitana was a favorite among Mortal Kombat fans who were always thrilled with the designs and images of modernism-symbolic 'apocalyptic warriors' such as Kitana, Raiden (god of lightning), Sub-Zero (an ice-wizard), and Mileena (Kitana's evil relative). Kitana was everything Cyclonus was not --- hospitable, democratic, valiant, friendly, trustworthy, regal, sportsmanlike, and wise.

kitana10.jpg

Cyclonus was everything Kitana was not --- wolfish, cunning, ruthless, cruel, sly, deceptive, evil, and arrogant. Cyclonus was a robot after all, a war-machine bent on domination, while Kitana was a sensitive human and perceptive of the charms and emotions of child-like behaviors. Cyclonus was efficient and dispassionate and hence unrelenting during war. Cyclonus compelled Transformers (Hasbro) fans to consider why a robot might be too rebellious to consider a 'friendly sentient being' and Kitana motivated Mortal Kombat fans to consider why a woman could be just as daring as a man! Cyclonus was the 'evil-warlock' to Kitana's 'goodly-witch.'

kitana13.jpg

Kitana had one advantage over Cyclonus --- she was much more patient about the flaws in warriors on the battlefield. Perhaps this was because Kitana was much more pensive about the demands of individual effort and less obsessed with the impact of effective soldier-cooperation during war. Kitana cared about team-cohesion during a battle, but she was much more empathetic and hence sensitive about the fears and frailties in individual warriors/soldiers. Nevertheless, Kitana would know that Cyclonus was equally shrewd about the complexity of competitive behaviors (e.g., capitalism). Hanks and Cruise realized that this 'Kitana-Cyclonus War' would illuminate important principles/values regarding the marketing of imaginative gender debates in the modern age of media (e.g., Home Shopping Network, Bloomberg, Food Network, MTV, Facebook, CNN.com, Martha Stewart Living, The Kitchen, The Military Channel, etc., etc.).

kitana1.jpg

Cyclonus would not go without a serious fight, so you had to wonder if Cyclonus would ask Kitana a challenging governance-oriented modernism-relevant question such as, "How can you stop fighting on the battlefield just to lean over and help one solitary fallen soldier? It would be a waste of time, no?" However, Kitana should know how to answer such a question obviously meant to criticize the logic of capitalism-theory --- e.g., "Well, I wouldn't stop fighting completely, but I don't think the battle gains in value/nobility if the needs of even one fighting warrior/soldier are completely neglected!" You see, Cyclonus was the cold-hearted nihilistic critic of capitalism, while Kitana was the classic idealistic 'defender.' Who would finally win?

kitana12.jpg

John Boorman's engaging Arthurian legend themed film Excalibur (starring Nigel Terry and Helen Mirren) presents fancy images of a metaphysical kingdom, ambitious warlords, mighty princes and kings, daydreaming princesses, queens, spirits, and handmaidens, and of course, rival symbolic dominion knights (e.g., Lancelot and Mordred). You might imagine that one of these 'dominion-knights' would wonder about the sociological symbolism of Cyclonus (the evil robot) and Kitana (the valiant princess-warrior) and how they revealed elements of civilization psyche. What would Lancelot/Mordred say about why/how the 'Kitana-Cyclonus War' would represent modernism angst regarding governance aesthetics? Would they say, "NASDAQ and NATO reveal that modern civilization cares equally about creativity and competition!"?

gold7.jpg

GOD: I like Kitana...
SATAN: I like Cyclonus!
GOD: That's no surprise.
SATAN: Don't be a bigot.
GOD: I'm merely indicating that you'd prefer a 'wolfish Machiavellian.'
SATAN: And you'd lean towards the 'idealistic bureaucrat.'
GOD: I like the modernism-symbolic new sci-fi horror-film Alien: Covenant.
SATAN: Yes, that Ridley Scott film symbolizes 'pure paranoia.'
GOD: After all, shouldn't we imagine that an alien civilization would be more...dispassionate?
SATAN: Science and modernism require more objective thinking!
GOD: What do American movie-stars (Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise) make of toys?
SATAN: Planet Hollywood advocates appreciate how consumerism caters to daydreams.
GOD: Facebook has become an obsession in this modern age of 'toys.'
SATAN: Perhaps Hanks and Cruise will be 'diplomats' of media era IQ.
GOD: They're certainly social icons of networking diarism...
SATAN: Hail, Caesar!

====

:dance:

d2.jpg

Aliens

This capitalism-satire addendum was inspired by Alien: Covenant.

====

Alomar was an Algerian-American recruited by the NSA for a secret space-mission to investigate a strange alien-intelligence signal received from Earth's moon. Alomar was told that his special field-training skills with the CIA and Navy made him qualified to deal with the possible hostile alien creature that sent that signal. Alomar was told by an NSA agent that a secret NASA mission involved American astronauts making contact with what seemed to be an insectisoid-dragon like alien-creature on the moon; the mission information was kept top-secret, but the appearance/physique of the alien-creature seen by the American astronauts on the mission were disclosed to Hollywood (Ridley Scott) who was making a movie about a predatory alien creature titled Alien (starring Sigourney Weaver). Alomar was told that the 'Xenomorph' creatures presented in the now-popular/iconic Alien sci-fi horror-film franchise resembled the real aliens seen on the moon during the secret NASA mission, so humans could be 'easily indoctrinated' about the appearance of the creatures should they try to invade Earth! Alomar realized it was one giant capitalist conspiracy.

Nevertheless, Alomar signed up for this new mission to the moon. He was accompanied by space-pilots and a few army soldiers who were well-trained. Alomar kept the new advanced multi-pronged electric-rope stun-weapon the U.S. army developed in secret. Alomar was to be the first line of defense against these 'Xenomorph'-like creatures should they turn out to be hostile (just like in the Alien films!). When the crew of Apollo 60 landed on the moon in the summer, Alomar scoured the terrain, carrying his special multi-pronged electrocutioner-wire weapon. Alomar had a special head-gear and night-vision sunglasses designed to facilitate great eyesight in a helmet (on the moon). Alomar and his fellow cosmonauts trekked around the moon looking for signs of alien intelligence. They found one --- giant footprints resembling a Xenomorph's! Alomar knew the 'Xenos' were close and when they popped out of the ground (two of them!), Alomar went to work. He used his electrocutioner-wire to wrap the necks of each Xeno (one-by-one) and electrocuted them both.

ALOMAR: I'm relieved were returned to Earth safely!
NSA: You did a perfect job, Officer Alomar...
ALOMAR: Thank you, sir.
NSA: This is all top-secret!
ALOMAR: I completely understand.
NSA: Are you a fan of the Alien films?
ALOMAR: I really like Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott).
NSA: That's arguably the best one...
ALOMAR: Yeah, well, the Xeno in that one sure-resembled the ones I killed (on the moon!).
NSA: That's terrific; thanks for bringing the specimens back to Earth...
ALOMAR: We're sure the U.S. government will do what is necessary (scientifically).
NSA: Of course we will...
ALOMAR: I was worried this was all one giant capitalism-conspiracy.
NSA: What do you mean?
ALOMAR: Well, I mean, why are these Xenos drawn towards our civilization?
NSA: Are you suggesting we're trying to 'recruit' them as soldiers for the army?
ALOMAR: What else would they be recruited for in America, sir?
NSA: You need not worry about such affairs, Officer Alomar; your retirement is secured.
ALOMAR: In all humility, I'll take you up on that offer (my lips are sealed!).
NSA: Congrats. Enjoy your summers in Tahiti drinking Limca and smoking tobacco.
ALOMAR: All good things come to the proverbial 'genius capitalist state.'
NSA: You are correct...

====

xenox3.jpg

Forum List

Back