mayor wants the FBI to investigate sheriff - violated any illegal alien "rights"

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
"Over the past few weeks, Sheriff Arpaio's actions have infringed on the civil rights of our residents," Gordon wrote. "They have put our residents' well-being, and the well-being of law enforcement officers, at risk."

Justice Department officials said they would review Gordon's letter but declined to comment further.

Arpaio said it's ironic that Gordon wrote the letter the same day U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials observed his deputies arresting residents and illegal immigrants in the town of Guadalupe and approved of the sheriff's work.

"I think the mayor is disconnected from the people he represents and he doesn't get the point," Arpaio said Saturday. "Now he's going to Washington to confuse the issue and try to get the public against me."

The mayor "is degrading my office and my deputies by insinuating that they're violating all these civil laws. We don't profile," the sheriff said.

In the past month, sheriff's deputies and trained volunteers have gone into neighborhoods with large Hispanic populations, stopping people for routine traffic violations and asking some of them about their immigration status. Dozens of illegal immigrants have been detained.

ICE officials say Arpaio is not violating the formal agreement he has with their office that allows sheriff's deputies to enforce immigration laws.

Last week, the Arizona Ecumenical Council and American Jewish Committee issued a joint letter saying the patrols "evoked a 'police state' atmosphere" and led to "detainment on the basis of a racial profile and dehumanization of innocent people."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080413/ap_on_re_us/immigration_sweeps

:cuckoo:

Indeed.

I guess murderers, rapists, tax evaders and everyone else who breaks the law might live in a "police state" too.

Believe me, living in Maricopa County, this goes a lot deeper then just illegal immigration.

Originally posted by GunnyL
Yeah, Heaven forbid law enforcement officers enforce the law. Just how freakin' stupid does it get?

Gunny...

As a Texas native...

Are you sure you don´t have a single drop of blood from the illegal americans who invaded mexican territory by the thousands during the first half of the 19th century?

José;671480 said:
Gunny...

As a Texas native...

Are you sure you don´t have a single drop of blood from the illegal americans who invaded mexican territory by the thousands during the first half of the 19th century?

So what? Illegal aliens are bad for the country no matter where they come from but especially the flood from south of the border.

In fact you might want to check with legal Mexicans, they tend to dislike illegals as well.

It's not a race issue, Jose, despite what your friends on the left tell you.

It's about security, and maintaining a safe, law abiding society, where everybody is accountable.

Originally posted by RetiredGSergeant
So what? Illegal aliens are bad for the country no matter where they come from but especially the flood from south of the border.

In fact you might want to check with legal Mexicans, they tend to dislike illegals as well.

Originally posted by AllieBaba
It's not a race issue, Jose, despite what your friends on the left tell you.

It's about security, and maintaining a safe, law abiding society, where everybody is accountable.

Wouldn’t it be ironic that Gunny should thank illegal immigration for being a Texan?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I was just pulling his leg, Sergeant/Baba.

I already expressed my serious opinion on illegal immigration debating with ScreamingEagle and Foxfyre.

The annexation of more than half of Mexico was a brutal act of american territorial expansionism, but it’s all the past.

The mexican society as a whole accepted the loss of its northern provinces and human societies cannot reivindicate territories almost 200 years after they lost them.

As far as illegal immigration is concerned, even the most “extreme” proposals like the mass eviction of millions of illegal mexicans sounds reasonable to me.

Any impartial observer will note that all these measures are well within the rights of any sovereign nation.

For me to disagree with you on illegal immigration, you REALLY have to go over the top like for example “let’s open a hunting season on illegal aliens with no bag limit”.

besides.. I'm sure you can empathize with other people who have had nations CARVED out of their homeland and can fathom what kind of a reaction such would illicit.

Forum List

Back