mayor wants the FBI to investigate sheriff - violated any illegal alien "rights"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shogun, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    "Over the past few weeks, Sheriff Arpaio's actions have infringed on the civil rights of our residents," Gordon wrote. "They have put our residents' well-being, and the well-being of law enforcement officers, at risk."

Justice Department officials said they would review Gordon's letter but declined to comment further.

Arpaio said it's ironic that Gordon wrote the letter the same day U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials observed his deputies arresting residents and illegal immigrants in the town of Guadalupe and approved of the sheriff's work.

"I think the mayor is disconnected from the people he represents and he doesn't get the point," Arpaio said Saturday. "Now he's going to Washington to confuse the issue and try to get the public against me."

The mayor "is degrading my office and my deputies by insinuating that they're violating all these civil laws. We don't profile," the sheriff said.

In the past month, sheriff's deputies and trained volunteers have gone into neighborhoods with large Hispanic populations, stopping people for routine traffic violations and asking some of them about their immigration status. Dozens of illegal immigrants have been detained.

ICE officials say Arpaio is not violating the formal agreement he has with their office that allows sheriff's deputies to enforce immigration laws.

Last week, the Arizona Ecumenical Council and American Jewish Committee issued a joint letter saying the patrols "evoked a 'police state' atmosphere" and led to "detainment on the basis of a racial profile and dehumanization of innocent people."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080413/ap_on_re_us/immigration_sweeps

:cuckoo:

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah, Heaven forbid law enforcement officers enforce the law. Just how freakin' stupid does it get?:cuckoo:

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Indeed.

I guess murderers, rapists, tax evaders and everyone else who breaks the law might live in a "police state" too.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Believe me, living in Maricopa County, this goes a lot deeper then just illegal immigration.

5. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Mayor Gordon needs to be recalled. I wish I never voted for him.

6. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    yeah, there sure is a lot of voter remorse out there...

7. José

José Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Gunny...

As a Texas native...

Are you sure you don´t have a single drop of blood from the illegal americans who invaded mexican territory by the thousands during the first half of the 19th century?

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    So what? Illegal aliens are bad for the country no matter where they come from but especially the flood from south of the border.

In fact you might want to check with legal Mexicans, they tend to dislike illegals as well.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    It's not a race issue, Jose, despite what your friends on the left tell you.

It's about security, and maintaining a safe, law abiding society, where everybody is accountable.

10. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    and bitterness has nothing to do wit it.