Matt Lauer equates U.S. Founders with terrorists

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
The media elites are losing it. We should start a new forum on the Media where we can start threads tracking the stupid things they say/do. I bet it will be the largest forum within a month.

Matt Lauer interviews Lynne Cheney (Image: Media Research Center)
In an interview with second lady Lynne Cheney, the "Today Show's" Matt Lauer equated the Islamic radicals in Fallujah terrorizing Iraq with George Washington's Revolutionary War army.

Questioning Cheney about her new children's book, "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots," the NBC host asked Cheney, in light of the current offensive on Fallujah, to apply to today the lesson of a "rag-tag group" going up against a powerful, well-equipped army.

Lauer was rebuffed by the vice president's wife for equating Washington's troops with the radical Muslim terrorists then clarified his line of questioning.

"I'm just saying, but the insurgents believe they're fighting for a cause as well," Lauer explained. "They don't believe any less than we believe."

The conversation Tuesday was recorded by the Virginia-based Media Research Center.

Lauer: "Let me talk about this idea that a rag-tag group, not well-fed, not well-clothed, completely under-equipped as compared to this great British army and the Hessian could accomplish this. And let me ask you to think about what is going on in Iraq today. Where the insurgents not well equipped, smaller in numbers, the greatest army in the world is their opposition. What's, what's the lesson?"

Cheney: "Well, the difference of course is who's fighting on the side of freedom. Ideas motivate people. And the idea of freedom is such a mighty one. There's a very good book by a man named David Hackett Fischer has written a book called Washington's Crossing. And I spent a good deal of time talking to him. He talks about how this is an entirely new thing. These are people who are fighting not because they had to, they could walk off. At one point Washington had to convince many of them to stay."

Lauer: "I think he promised them more pay, actually."

Cheney: "He did. But he also told them they were fighting for a mighty idea. And I think the same has been true. The same advantage has been at the back of Americans forever. We have a mighty cause in which we're fighting."

Lauer: "I'm just saying, but the insurgents believe they're fighting for a cause as well. They don't believe any less than we believe. And yet -- "

Cheney: "Well, but Matt, you're being awfully relativistic here. I mean, the insurgents are killing Iraqis by the hundreds, Iraqis by the thousands. It's not as though this is a matter between just 'on the one hand on the other hand.' We are on the side of freedom. We are on the side that I think that idea is so powerful and does give us wind at our back."

Similarly, in an Oct. 18 interview on MSNBC's "Hardball," the Media Research Center noted, host Chris Matthews painted the Iraqi insurgents as modern Minute Men in his discussion with former President Jimmy Carter, author of a novel set during the Revolutionary War.

Matthews asked Carter whether in the Founding Father's "insurgency against a powerful British force, do you see any parallels between the, the fighting that we did on our side and the fighting that is going on in Iraq today?"

Carter replied, "Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we've fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war. Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial's really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way. I think in many ways the British were very misled in going to war against America and in trying to enforce their will on people who were quite different from them at the time."

freeandfun1 said:
The media elites are losing it. We should start a new forum on the Media where we can start threads tracking the stupid things they say/do. I bet it will be the largest forum within a month.

Same old media------slinging around metaphors and sound bites until they can find one that sticks--no luck so far but there's no and to their insistance on leading America to the left.

NATO AIR said:
Matt Lauer is a wimpy jackass anyway.
NATO, you are starting to scare me. You are sounding more and more like a right wing, radical, bible thumping, extremist every day. I like it though. Keep it up and you will turn out to be a mean old crumudgeon like me.

CSM said:
NATO, you are starting to scare me. You are sounding more and more like a right wing, radical, bible thumping, extremist every day. I like it though. Keep it up and you will turn out to be a mean old crumudgeon like me.

being an e-4 in a workcenter full of weak-willed, spineless e-6's is mixing with my anger and outrage over darfur to make me a very angry young man. good thing i only drink once a week.

when was the last time matt lauer mentioned the struggles and triumphs of the troops in iraq or the genocide in darfur? pissy little jag-off, makes me want to :chains: him.

NATO AIR said:
being an e-4 in a workcenter full of weak-willed, spineless e-6's is mixing with my anger and outrage over darfur to make me a very angry young man. good thing i only drink once a week.

when was the last time matt lauer mentioned the struggles and triumphs of the troops in iraq or the genocide in darfur? pissy little jag-off, makes me want to :chains: him.
STOP IT! You are making me laugh out loud and people around here are starting to look at me funny.

CSM said:
STOP IT! You are making me laugh out loud and people around here are starting to look at me funny.

wasn't he the one fighting back tears on live TV when some mosquito or other bug got him good when he was doing his "where in the world is that idiot matt lauer now?" segment in Egypt... yea the locals were looking at that idiot like "idiot American, doesn't he know not to be wearing shorts and men's perfume at this time of the year"?

between him and katie "i change my personality/hairstyle but never my fake smile cause I'm a skitzo bitch" couric i retch my breakfast when i have to endure the "today" show being rebroadcasted over here on AFN.

NATO AIR said:
wasn't he the one fighting back tears on live TV when some mosquito or other bug got him good when he was doing his "where in the world is that idiot matt lauer now?" segment in Egypt... yea the locals were looking at that idiot like "idiot American, doesn't he know not to be wearing shorts and men's perfume at this time of the year"?

between him and katie "i change my personality/hairstyle but never my fake smile cause I'm a skitzo bitch" couric i retch my breakfast when i have to endure the "today" show being rebroadcasted over here on AFN.

Here's a thought. Either dont eat breakfast or dont watch the show!

CSM said:

But you know that Breakfast and Midrats are the two best meals! I would never suggest anybody miss a breakfast in the military.

CSM said:

2 problems CSM

1) breakfast is the shiyat!

2) i have to stand by in the Division Office for morning quarters/passdown for at least 20 minutes while the master chief and the two senior chiefs chew ass and the female contractors are always in there watching the Today Show or some other crap, loud as a heavy metal concert, and alternately crying and giggling between stories, all while "oh that matt lauer is so cute and my, katie has such pretty hair today"

no1tovote4 said:
But you know that Breakfast and Midrats are the two best meals! I would never suggest anybody miss a breakfast in the military.
I used to skip breakfast all the time. Just didn't feel like eating at 3 in the morning whem I got up to go chase troops. By the time I got to eat (usually around 5am) it was more like lunch.

NATO AIR said:
2 problems CSM

1) breakfast is the shiyat!

2) i have to stand by in the Division Office for morning quarters/passdown for at least 20 minutes while the master chief and the two senior chiefs chew ass and the female contractors are always in there watching the Today Show or some other crap, loud as a heavy metal concert, and alternately crying and giggling between stories, all while "oh that matt lauer is so cute and my, katie has such pretty hair today"
Now on top of everything else you are starting to give me flashbacks.

CSM said:
Now on top of everything else you are starting to give me flashbacks.

haha, oh they love chewing ass in the morning. i do my best to avoid it but sometimes it happens and while its not something i enjoy, i have to chuckle at the way they tend to put things after their morning coffee.

NATO AIR said:
haha, oh they love chewing ass in the morning. i do my best to avoid it but sometimes it happens and while its not something i enjoy, i have to chuckle at the way they tend to put things after their morning coffee.
Imagine what they would be like without the coffee!

NATO AIR said:
oh i saw that happen once, but i escaped the wrath that day... black tuesday they called it, it happened a month ago....
I can understand why...*sheesh* three senior enlisted guys and no coffee? That is too horrible to comprehend, even for me, and I've been there!

CSM said:
I used to skip breakfast all the time. Just didn't feel like eating at 3 in the morning whem I got up to go chase troops. By the time I got to eat (usually around 5am) it was more like lunch.

But at least it was still the breakfast food. It is the fact that they cannot ruin a breakfast as easily as they can say ruin a good bisque. This makes Breakfast one of the best meals to eat. At least you got the good food even if it was "lunch" to you.

no1tovote4 said:
But at least it was still the breakfast food. It is the fact that they cannot ruin a breakfast as easily as they can say ruin a good bisque. This makes Breakfast one of the best meals to eat. At least you got the good food even if it was "lunch" to you.
I didn't say anything about "good".

I'm just yanking yer chain ya know.

[/QUOTE]Carter replied, "Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we've fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war. Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial's really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way. I think in many ways the British were very misled in going to war against America and in trying to enforce their will on people who were quite different from them at the time." [/QUOTE]

It's amazing that a man who was once President of the United States, a Navy veteran at that, sounds like he has no clue whatsoever. I don't know. I felt the need to say something about this comment, but now find myself at a loss for words.

Forum List

Back