Mathematicians

I think you need to provide some of your own opinion or your post will be locked.

As it were, stats have a role, it should not be the primary method of determining where crime is, but a guide to apply resources. Also, police must be objective, we shouldn't follow the Minority Report.

Furthermore, stats work in different ways. You might find that there is PLENTY of crime going on in wealthy places too, just a totally different kind. Fraud, corruption, corporate theft, espionage, alcohol abuse/drunk driving. Who knows?

Turning our backs of stats and facts which are accurately applied is silly, but, it shouldn't be used to dictate assumptions. 1% of criminal population in an area still clears 99% of it's citizens. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt and presumption of innocence.

Mathematical models tend to eschew the one factor that is the most accurate predictor of crime ... it's not race, or socio-economic, religion, or blood type ....

... it's intelligence.

99% of all crimes are committed by morons.

Mathematical models tend to eschew the one factor that is the most accurate predictor of crime ... it's not race, or socio-economic, religion, or blood type ....

... it's intelligence.

How many politicians, world leaders, global executives and multi-billionaires committed a crime in their life?

Maybe I'm wrong and I have no particular evidence (though there might be some out there), I bet it's higher than the average. There is a difference between a criminal as deemed so by a court and a criminal who never gets caught.

... it's intelligence.

How many politicians, world leaders, global executives and multi-billionaires committed a crime in their life?

Maybe I'm wrong and I have no particular evidence (though there might be some out there), I bet it's higher than the average. There is a difference between a criminal as deemed so by a court and a criminal who never gets caught.

The vast majority of what society classes as crime never ends up on the news. It doesn't get its own special on Netflix.

The crime that chokes the dockets of the lower courts and creates literal mountains of red tape and paperwork. The crime that fills our prisons, halfway houses, and correctional system. That crime is committed by morons.

There is a model that can predict the size of these mathematicians balls. And the result with a 1% margin of error is that these assholes have no balls.

When I was studying criminology in college, one of my professors was the Director of Education at what was then called Western (PA) Pennitentiary. He claimed that the average inmate at WP had a higher than average level of intelligence...AND, he pointed out, these are the ones WHO GOT CAUGHT! Any claim that 99% of criminals are morons is preposterous.

The claim that successful business-people are "also criminals," is equally preposterous. It grows out of the sophomoric view of successful business executives that one learns by watching films and televisions - also written by people who have never met a successful executive outside their own perverse reality. The vast majority of the dozens of successful executives that I've met and worked with are scrupulously honest.

Predictive Policing is applied to both people and to locations, primarily in urban areas. In both cases, they are surprisingly accurate. Civil libertarians are horrified at predictive policing - just like they were successfully horrified of "profiling" - because it flies in the face of one's presumed innocence, until proven guilty. And like "profiling" it is a useful tool that works, but will inevitably be abandoned, to kowtow to the ACLU.

• Banned
Predictive is mind reading. Period. It is speculation which is nothing more than an educated? guesstimate.
Most laws are "predictive" to prevent what is predicted *might* happen. That creates a criminal, it prevents little, but does create revenue for the state, the courts and lawyers. It also (in this case) helps job justification.

The men and women in the District of Criminals who wear black dresses to work? have said that the job of police is to find *after the fact* who committed a crime. The one thing they got correct lately. Predicting is *prior* to evidence to substantiate a "fact".

Forum List

Back