My Family Was Here in the 1600s. Did they own slaves? Heirs of Power: Slavery's Descendants

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Educational pieces. Some parts I may have issue with like choices of language/terms...

But all around great on our shared history.

Heirs of Power​

The forebears of three members of Congress regained – and passed forward – wealth and power their families lost when slavery was abolished. Their success shows how the Southern elite exploited Black Americans in new ways.

Who the fuck cares about your family? You probably don't either.

The 1870s were a long time ago.

3 elected offcials Slave holding benefits generations later.png

quotes:
Neither Hill nor Kennedy commented specifically for this story. In June, Hill issued a statement for a previous Reuters story, calling slavery “a scourge” and saying “we as a nation must recognize our past, learn from it, and look to the future.” In 2019, Kennedy called slavery “reprehensible,” but noted: “I believe in personal responsibility, and I just don’t think someone today is responsible for what someone else did 150 years ago.”

For this article, Titus provided a statement: “Slavery is a deplorable part of our history, and I have no bonds with any long-dead relatives connected to it. We must not forget the cruelty visited upon Black Americans over generations as we commit to systemic reform that ensures equal rights for all. That principle has guided my personal life, professional career, and political record.”

View attachment 873076
quotes:
Neither Hill nor Kennedy commented specifically for this story. In June, Hill issued a statement for a previous Reuters story, calling slavery “a scourge” and saying “we as a nation must recognize our past, learn from it, and look to the future.” In 2019, Kennedy called slavery “reprehensible,” but noted: “I believe in personal responsibility, and I just don’t think someone today is responsible for what someone else did 150 years ago.”

For this article, Titus provided a statement: “Slavery is a deplorable part of our history, and I have no bonds with any long-dead relatives connected to it. We must not forget the cruelty visited upon Black Americans over generations as we commit to systemic reform that ensures equal rights for all. That principle has guided my personal life, professional career, and political record.”
nobody-cares.gif

At least those 3 peoples' families have been Americans for a long time. Good on 'em! :113:

Educational pieces. Some parts I may have issue with like choices of language/terms...

Heirs of Power​

The forebears of three members of Congress regained – and passed forward – wealth and power their families lost when slavery was abolished. Their success shows how the Southern elite exploited Black Americans in new ways.

All this because they chose to remain in America.

It is noteworthy that millions of economic refugees from all over the world have no problem abandoning their native lands for greener pastures. Africa would have been much friendlier to returning blacks than post-slavery America.

Yet you and people like BackAgain argue over shit from the 1700s. 🕵️‍♀️
We do? Oh! You mean over that Constitution that you hate so bad?

Well Fuck You, Commie Shitbird!

You're dumb as a stump and we're not doing it your way and fucking deal with it, bitch!

how-bout-that.gif

View attachment 873076
quotes:

A very non informative pointless.

Slavery is a part of Human history just like wars, political oppression, sexual assault, thievery, genocide and conquest.

Get over it. Life is a bitch and then you die.

Is it ethical to hate the descendants of slave owners?
No
People can only be held accountable for things which they have control of.
The Radical Left's reparations issue is actually about their racial hatred for White folks and their greed for other people's money.
Can Left Wing hate, ignorance and greed be overcome?
We hope so.

Heirs of Power​

If your ancestors were Democrats, there is a ~99.99% chance that they owned negro slaves.

If your ancestors are Republicans, there's a ~0.001% chance that they owned slaves.

Capice?

If your ancestors were Democrats, there is a ~99.99% chance that they owned negro slaves.

If your ancestors are Republicans, there's a ~0.001% chance that they owned slaves.
If your ancestors had money they probably owned slaves. If they didn't have money they were probably the slaves. Lol

Slavery is a part of Human history just like wars, political oppression, sexual assault, thievery, genocide and conquest.

Get over it. Life is a bitch and then you die.
Chattel slavery?

A better understanding of chattel slavery​

Various forms of human bondage still exist in our world today. As horrendous as they seem to us in our modern sensibilities they are nothing compared to the massive holocaust that struck the African continent during the great disaster called the European slave trade. This search for wealth was equivalent to the madness of a gold rush; it was the iconic capitalist venture of its era, just as information technology might be today. If a European person was not in the game, he or she felt that they were missing out on an opportunity for great wealth. Given the strength of the idea that Africans were property, chattel, that could bring great wealth some Europeans dubbed Africans, 'Black Gold'.

Let us see now if we can shed more light on the meaning and processing of the term chattel slavery. This term is at the very core of the debasement of Africans that accompanied this massive transfer of people against their wills from one continent to another. Chattel slavery has been rudely misunderstood, treated almost gingerly like it was some decent term to describe a quaint practice that was acceptable to high society.

As described in the following sections, this decline occurred due to unique religious, geographic, and political circumstances in Western Europe. By 1200, chattel slavery had all but disappeared from northwestern Europe. Southern Europeans along the Mediterranean coast continued to purchase slaves from various parts of Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. In Lisbon, for example, African slaves comprised one tenth of the population in the 1460s. Overall, however, the slave trade into southern Europe was relatively small compared to what later developed in the New World.

Forum List

Back