Massachusetts: This Is The Nation’s Toughest Gun Law

NEWTON, Mass. ― A thirtysomething man sought to buy a rifle here last September, and if he had been living in almost any other part of the country, he could have done so easily.

His record was free of arrests, involuntary psychiatric commitments or anything else that might automatically disqualify him from owning firearms under federal law. He could have walked into a gun store, filled out a form and walked out with a weapon in less than an hour.

But he couldn’t do that in Massachusetts because the state requires would-be buyers to get a permit first. That means going through a much longer process and undergoing a lot more scrutiny.

Each applicant must complete a four-hour gun safety course, get character references from two people, and show up at the local police department for fingerprinting and a one-on-one interview with a specially designated officer. Police must also do some work on their own, searching department records for information that wouldn’t show up on the official background check.

More: This Is The Nation’s Toughest Gun Law

I salute Massachusetts for passing commonsense gun laws! Thankfully, we have states like Massachusetts that are moving forward on gun control. Hopefully more will follow their lead.

4th lowest murder rate too.

What a surprise

With the toughest gun laws, they should be the lowest murder rate, that honor goes to a state with the most lax gun laws. I’m not seeing a correlation, there seems to be some other factor or factors missing.

Doesn't getting raped and murdered in your own home make you safer? At least the rapist didn't use a legally obtained gun! OH THE HORROR!

NEWTON, Mass. ― A thirtysomething man sought to buy a rifle here last September, and if he had been living in almost any other part of the country, he could have done so easily.

His record was free of arrests, involuntary psychiatric commitments or anything else that might automatically disqualify him from owning firearms under federal law. He could have walked into a gun store, filled out a form and walked out with a weapon in less than an hour.

But he couldn’t do that in Massachusetts because the state requires would-be buyers to get a permit first. That means going through a much longer process and undergoing a lot more scrutiny.

Each applicant must complete a four-hour gun safety course, get character references from two people, and show up at the local police department for fingerprinting and a one-on-one interview with a specially designated officer. Police must also do some work on their own, searching department records for information that wouldn’t show up on the official background check.

I salute Massachusetts for passing commonsense gun laws! Thankfully, we have states like Massachusetts that are moving forward on gun control. Hopefully more will follow their lead.

4th lowest murder rate too.

What a surprise

With the toughest gun laws, they should be the lowest murder rate, that honor goes to a state with the most lax gun laws. I’m not seeing a correlation, there seems to be some other factor or factors missing.

massachusetts has the second lowest rate of firearm related deaths in the us.

hawaii has the lowest and its law are as strict or stricter

Firearm death rates in the United States by state - Wikipedia

murder rate is a red herring
In rural America where they have the most firearms... Violent crime is almost nonexistent because of the lax gun control laws… Progressive controlled areas is where all the violent crime is...

Last edited:

Yeah good story...did he get the gun?

Yeah good story...did he get the gun?
Probably still a straw buyer...

I believe all gun owners should be required to have a permit and undergo the same requirements as outlined in the OP. Anyone not willing to undergo such requirements should not be allowed to have guns. It's a small inconvenience to help make us all more secure from gun violence.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have Democrats run on this as a national platform.

You can kiss 2/3 of the States goodbye for decades, and I will be crying crocodile tears about it the whole time.

Wonder why you don't want the same for people voting?

It's $100 bucks !!! No poor person in MassaHoochets gonna afford that. I sense a discrimination suit on this. Must be rich white privilege to have a "permit"..

Here's the Application that's so innovative and exciting.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/12/13/Updated LTC_FID card app - REVISED 05.19.15.pdf

Far as I can tell, most ALL of the questions are on the EXISTING NICS questionnaire.. Except maybe that "Green Card" question. And here's the WORST PART..

Far as I can tell the ACTIVE DATE on a "permit" is TEN DAYS.. $100 for a 10 day window to buy "ONE" gun or as many as you want??? And do you have to take the SAME COURSE everytime you purchase ANOTHER GUN?

If you do --- it's a $100 TAX on every gun you buy. THERE is what MassaHoochets is doing right there...

I smell law suits. Fire up the Supremes. I wanna hear "Come See About Me" or "Run RUn Run".

it's $100 for 6 years with no limit on the number of firearms you can purchase.

a license to carry costs $140 in texas.

far as i can tell, you're getting hysterical over nothing.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

It's $100 bucks !!! No poor person in MassaHoochets gonna afford that. I sense a discrimination suit on this. Must be rich white privilege to have a "permit"..

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/12/13/Updated LTC_FID card app - REVISED 05.19.15.pdf

Far as I can tell, most ALL of the questions are on the EXISTING NICS questionnaire.. Except maybe that "Green Card" question. And here's the WORST PART..

Far as I can tell the ACTIVE DATE on a "permit" is TEN DAYS.. $100 for a 10 day window to buy "ONE" gun or as many as you want??? And do you have to take the SAME COURSE everytime you purchase ANOTHER GUN?

If you do --- it's a $100 TAX on every gun you buy. THERE is what MassaHoochets is doing right there...

I smell law suits. Fire up the Supremes. I wanna hear "Come See About Me" or "Run RUn Run".

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Poll taxes are reasonable now? That's news to me

I still have enough to be hysterical about. I mistook the 10 day Waiting Period for the duration of card. But even so -- it must be renewed every 6 years and their not gonna inform you like the DMV does. They may confiscate all weapons if you're card is more than 90 days expired. And if your card has expired, the fine is $100 to $5000. So it effectively adds a "10 day waiting period" and confiscation to the mix.

Section 129B

This is NOT "a carry license". this is simply to possess. And it really does nothing beyond the Federal system that is currently totally mismanaged and notoriously ineffective because the Feds can't handle it simply as it is now.

It's a money making scheme with little additional protection over the existed background check system.

Last edited:

I still have enough to be hysterical about. I mistook the 10 day Waiting Period for the duration of card. But even so -- it must be renewed every 6 years and their not gonna inform you like the DMV does. They may confiscate all weapons if you're card is more than 90 days expired. And if your card has expired, the fine is $100 to $5000. So it effectively adds a "10 day waiting period" and confiscation to the mix.

This is NOT "a carry license". this is simply to possess. And it really does nothing beyond the Federal system that is currently totally mismanaged and notoriously ineffective because the Feds can't handle it simply as it is now.

It's a money making scheme with little additional protection over the existed background check system.

there's no doubt that you always have plenty to be hysterical about.

ltc and fid both cost the same, so i don't know where you get the idea that a carry license isn't a carry license.

a license to carry in texas is good for four years, and then renews in 5 year chunks.

the horror

ltc and fid both cost the same, so i don't know where you get the idea that a carry license isn't a carry license.

a license to carry in texas is good for four years, and then renews in 5 year chunks.

the horror

Who "CARRIES" a shotgun or a rifle? Don't you fear that 4 days of "sponge bob" safety training might NOT be enough for "carrying" a pistol?? Making the requirements the SAME makes no sense. If anything, a CARRY license should be WAY more difficult to prove proficiency and safety. It's just fund raising...

There's no brains to this. No common sense to make the State Application for "ownership" and "carry" the same.

Saluting restrictions on Constitutional rights is the worst sort of stupidity. You do realize that these unconstitutional gun laws only affect law abiding citizens ?

the horror

Who "CARRIES" a shotgun or a rifle? Don't you fear that 4 days of "sponge bob" safety training might NOT be enough for "carrying" a pistol?? Making the requirements the SAME makes no sense. If anything, a CARRY license should be WAY more difficult to prove proficiency and safety. It's just fund raising...

There's no brains to this. No common sense to make the State Application for "ownership" and "carry" the same.

Four days? Don't you mean four hours?

• Thanks
Reactions: del

the horror

it's a 1 day course.

i have no idea what a sponge bob course is, but it sounds like what texas requires for an ltc

An applicant may attend LTC classroom training and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor, or

An applicant may receive LTC online training (classroom only) through an Approved Online Course Provider who has been approved in Texas. After, successfully passing the online classroom portion, an applicant must attend 1-2 hours of range instruction class and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor.

TxDPS - License to Carry (LTC) FAQs

i CARRY a shotgun or rifle when i hunt, as i can't afford a bearer.

it seems that you just want to whine about it because it's effective.

the nra likes to say that it's a mental health problem and not a gun problem, but they don't want to do anything constructive about the mental health part.

i'm glad we do.

Saluting restrictions on Constitutional rights is the worst sort of stupidity. You do realize that these unconstitutional gun laws only affect law abiding citizens ?

they're not unconstitutional

keep swinging

the horror

Four days? Don't you mean four hours?

Yeah I did. 4 HOURS is meaningless as "common sense" anything. It's equivalent to claiming that all licensed drivers or florists or hair braiders are "SAFE" by the fact that they PAID the state $100 on a renewable license.

And for PEPPER SPRAY to cost you ANY TAX from a State? That's insane. You really don't like poor people to have ANY ability to defend themselves --- do you? BTW -- the "restricted" FID card for mace/sprays is only $25 --- but STILL --- it makes criminals out of folks who are just using the least lethal force you can buy..

Forum List

Back