Massachusetts: This Is The Nation’s Toughest Gun Law

NEWTON, Mass. ― A thirtysomething man sought to buy a rifle here last September, and if he had been living in almost any other part of the country, he could have done so easily.

His record was free of arrests, involuntary psychiatric commitments or anything else that might automatically disqualify him from owning firearms under federal law. He could have walked into a gun store, filled out a form and walked out with a weapon in less than an hour.

But he couldn’t do that in Massachusetts because the state requires would-be buyers to get a permit first. That means going through a much longer process and undergoing a lot more scrutiny.

Each applicant must complete a four-hour gun safety course, get character references from two people, and show up at the local police department for fingerprinting and a one-on-one interview with a specially designated officer. Police must also do some work on their own, searching department records for information that wouldn’t show up on the official background check.

More: This Is The Nation’s Toughest Gun Law

I salute Massachusetts for passing commonsense gun laws! Thankfully, we have states like Massachusetts that are moving forward on gun control. Hopefully more will follow their lead.

4th lowest murder rate too.

What a surprise

With the toughest gun laws, they should be the lowest murder rate, that honor goes to a state with the most lax gun laws. I’m not seeing a correlation, there seems to be some other factor or factors missing.

NEWTON, Mass. ― A thirtysomething man sought to buy a rifle here last September, and if he had been living in almost any other part of the country, he could have done so easily.

His record was free of arrests, involuntary psychiatric commitments or anything else that might automatically disqualify him from owning firearms under federal law. He could have walked into a gun store, filled out a form and walked out with a weapon in less than an hour.

But he couldn’t do that in Massachusetts because the state requires would-be buyers to get a permit first. That means going through a much longer process and undergoing a lot more scrutiny.

Each applicant must complete a four-hour gun safety course, get character references from two people, and show up at the local police department for fingerprinting and a one-on-one interview with a specially designated officer. Police must also do some work on their own, searching department records for information that wouldn’t show up on the official background check.

I salute Massachusetts for passing commonsense gun laws! Thankfully, we have states like Massachusetts that are moving forward on gun control. Hopefully more will follow their lead.

What a surprise

With the toughest gun laws, they should be the lowest murder rate, that honor goes to a state with the most lax gun laws. I’m not seeing a correlation, there seems to be some other factor or factors missing.

massachusetts has the second lowest rate of firearm related deaths in the us.

hawaii has the lowest and its law are as strict or stricter

Firearm death rates in the United States by state - Wikipedia

murder rate is a red herring

What a surprise

So is gun ownership. Eighty percent of violent crime is committed by 8% of the criminal population. The same population that is continually released from prison so they can kill more people.

What a surprise

only when it does not go your way.

It's $100 bucks !!! No poor person in MassaHoochets gonna afford that. I sense a discrimination suit on this. Must be rich white privilege to have a "permit"..

Here's the Application that's so innovative and exciting.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/12/13/Updated LTC_FID card app - REVISED 05.19.15.pdf

Far as I can tell, most ALL of the questions are on the EXISTING NICS questionnaire.. Except maybe that "Green Card" question. And here's the WORST PART..

Far as I can tell the ACTIVE DATE on a "permit" is TEN DAYS.. $100 for a 10 day window to buy "ONE" gun or as many as you want??? And do you have to take the SAME COURSE everytime you purchase ANOTHER GUN?

If you do --- it's a $100 TAX on every gun you buy. THERE is what MassaHoochets is doing right there...

I smell law suits. Fire up the Supremes. I wanna hear "Come See About Me" or "Run RUn Run".

Even if true - it's a small price to pay for owning deadly weapons!

What about poor folk who live in high crime areas? You gonna SUBSIDIZE a gun permit for them? Or does your bleeding heart only cover VITALS like cell phones and govt cheese? Grandmas' been broken into 4 times and pistol whipped once.. Don't you care about the POOR?

And $100 per PURCHASE?? THat's a tax dude. That's not gonna stand.

Tough shit. They can still afford non-lethal weapons such as pepper spray and mace. Your hyperbole sounds like typical NRA bullshit. Go Massachusetts!

Home Security: 10 Best Non-Lethal Self Defense Weapons

Pepper sprays don't always work well. Guns do. Fascist.

I believe all gun owners should be required to have a permit and undergo the same requirements as outlined in the OP. Anyone not willing to undergo such requirements should not be allowed to have guns.

Of course you do. You're a statist, you only want Party members to be able to get guns. That is clear.

How is that clear? It appears to be your fabrication.

I believe all gun owners should be required to have a permit and undergo the same requirements as outlined in the OP. Anyone not willing to undergo such requirements should not be allowed to have guns.

Of course you do. You're a statist, you only want Party members to be able to get guns. That is clear.

How is that clear? It appears to be your fabrication.

Long experience of how lakhota posts.

I believe all gun owners should be required to have a permit and undergo the same requirements as outlined in the OP. Anyone not willing to undergo such requirements should not be allowed to have guns. It's a small inconvenience to help make us all more secure from gun violence.

How about we do the same for voting?

let you local police chief decide that, and if he refuses it can be bumped up to a local judge who is in cahoots with the local police chief.

Fuck of and die.

Before you salute them too much. I joked a Class A license yo carry concealed weapons in Massachusetts. Think about that.

Oh, and many police chiefs don't require the interview or character references.

It's $100 bucks !!! No poor person in MassaHoochets gonna afford that. I sense a discrimination suit on this. Must be rich white privilege to have a "permit"..

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/12/13/Updated LTC_FID card app - REVISED 05.19.15.pdf

Far as I can tell, most ALL of the questions are on the EXISTING NICS questionnaire.. Except maybe that "Green Card" question. And here's the WORST PART..

Far as I can tell the ACTIVE DATE on a "permit" is TEN DAYS.. $100 for a 10 day window to buy "ONE" gun or as many as you want??? And do you have to take the SAME COURSE everytime you purchase ANOTHER GUN?

If you do --- it's a $100 TAX on every gun you buy. THERE is what MassaHoochets is doing right there...

$100 for a six year permit, in-state. Don't even bother filling out the application if you're a non-resident.

Purchase as much as you want legally in that six year period.

No direct tax except the sales tax.

The questions are almost exactly the same as the NICS paperwork.

Well, Washington redskin...
Massachusetts can do what they want... states rights and all.
Thankfully rural states are moving in the opposite direction… Because that’s where most sportsman live… And they don’t have the violent crime that Massachusetts does… Frivolous gun laws make for more violent criminal activity every time. Fact

I believe all gun owners should be required to have a permit and undergo the same requirements as outlined in the OP. Anyone not willing to undergo such requirements should not be allowed to have guns. It's a small inconvenience to help make us all more secure from gun violence.
Washington redskin..
Law-abiding people generally do not commit violent crime. That’s the only people that you will be Hurting with Your frivolous gun control laws...

What a surprise

Legal gun owners have a low rate of committing crimes, so I don't find the correlation between tough gun laws and lower crime, we seem to be targeting the law abiding citizens. I also find the $100 permit to be a end around tax for the person that is wanting to be legal, so we a penalizing the honest and do nothing for the dishonest.

Seems to me that Massachusetts needs to be tougher on criminals and not so easily parole them as they have a greater risk to reoffend at a much higher rate than legal gun owners would commit a crime.

I smell law suits. Fire up the Supremes. I wanna hear "Come See About Me" or "Run RUn Run".

Washington redskin...
Firearms do not kill people people kill people, most people learn and understand that in grade school

What about poor folk who live in high crime areas? You gonna SUBSIDIZE a gun permit for them? Or does your bleeding heart only cover VITALS like cell phones and govt cheese? Grandmas' been broken into 4 times and pistol whipped once.. Don't you care about the POOR?

And $100 per PURCHASE?? THat's a tax dude. That's not gonna stand.

Tough shit. They can still afford non-lethal weapons such as pepper spray and mace. Your hyperbole sounds like typical NRA bullshit.

Home Security: 10 Best Non-Lethal Self Defense Weapons

Hey :asshole:..... Read your own shit. On the link you gave to "getting a permit" --- you fill out the SAME DAMN FORM FOR PEPPER SPRAY in Masshahoochets as you do for a FIREARM... That'll be $100 for a PEPPER SPRAY permit.

:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg: :funnyface: :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

But it's really NOT funny when you make too expensive for poor folks to DEFEND THEMSELVES...

:fu:

Don’t mind Washington redskin...
He got into the fire water again

What a surprise

Legal gun owners have a low rate of committing crimes, so I don't find the correlation between tough gun laws and lower crime, we seem to be targeting the law abiding citizens. I also find the $100 permit to be a end around tax for the person that is wanting to be legal, so we a penalizing the honest and do nothing for the dishonest.

Seems to me that Massachusetts needs to be tougher on criminals and not so easily parole them as they have a greater risk to reoffend at a much higher rate than legal gun owners would commit a crime.
Like most progressive controlled areas they let their criminals go with a slap on the wrist. They have no criminal control…

I just shake my head knowing I might have to send my daughter to college in a state where I make her a criminal by giving her pepper spray..
… And who the hell wants a non-lethal form of protection. Lol

Romney banned assault rifles in Mass. when he was the Gov - the right barely flinched.
That is because he is a Soulless progressive, Always has been always will be…

it's $100 for 6 years with no limit on the number of firearms you can purchase.

a license to carry costs $140 in texas.

far as i can tell, you're getting hysterical over nothing.

0$ here in South Dakota... No permit needed

Forum List

Back