Mass Arrests Coming to Cleveland

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
In the following 13:13 TRNN interview, a pair of veteran human rights activists explain why a Cleveland judge recently ruled against the city's initial plan for limiting free speech during the upcoming RNC convention:

"So, what we saw with their original plan laid out an event zone that was larger than anything that we had seen at a past convention, that encompassed 3.5 square miles, essentially blocking off all of downtown Cleveland with special restrictions on speech, assembly and the kind of things that people could carry in and out of that zone. We also saw a parade route that we found grossly inadequate for having protesters and demonstrators within sight and sound of the people that they were trying to reach, the delegates."

Mass Arrests Expected at Republican and Democratic Conventions

The judge who handed down the ruling pointed out how a much larger crowd celebrating the recent Cavaliers's NBA championship enjoyed much greater First Amendment protections.

2000 Democratic National Convention protest activity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Mass Arrests Expected at Republican and Democratic Conventions

Mass Arrests Expected at Republican and Democratic Conventions

"Activist and author Kris Hermes and ACLU's Steve David discusses a recent victory against free speech restrictions on protests in Cleveland, and the long history of mass arrests and harassment against political speech..."

"So, it's especially important to note that when the RNC comes to Cleveland, the Cleveland Division of Police is currently under a federal consent decree with the Department of Justice because of a pattern and practice of unconstitutional use of force by the active Cleveland police. So, that consent decree is still in effect and we're still trying to see the fruits of that agreement to correct these issues that Cleveland police have with constitutional policing.

"That said, we have seen a variable response from police in terms of how they've responded to protest events. They have taken a very measured approach.

"Sometimes when, specifically in the aftermath of Tamir Rice we saw it, they would allow protesters to block intersections and protest in the street.

"But we've also seen them respond in the opposite fashion.

"For instance, after the acquittal of Michael Brelo in the shooting of two unarmed Black motorists in Cleveland.

"There was an incident where Cleveland police essentially blocked off 70 protesters in an ally and arrested everyone without giving them an opportunity to disperse.

"So that incident, that mass arrest incident actually led to another lawsuit and settlement with the city that secured new mass arrest and dispersal protocols which we hope they put into practice in the even something like that happens in the future."

That judge is on drugs comparing the two events.
Maybe the judge is a Lakers fan?

2000 Democratic National Convention protest activity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Lakers' victory riot[edit]

"The 1999–2000 NBA season ended up being fortuitous for the Los Angeles Lakers, who were in their inaugural year playing out of the Staples Center. On the night of June 19, 2000, the Lakers beat the visiting Indiana Pacers, winning their first Championship in twelve years. While the game took place inside the arena, it was broadcast for free outside on a large video screen.

"Thousands had gathered to watch the game on the screen and be in the proximity of the arena.

"As soon as the game ended, the crowd quickly turned violent as violent opportunists began attacking property, making bonfires, beating up a Lincoln limo and two LAPD cars, flipping a news van, and setting fire to a Ford Explorer, as well as looting local businesses.

"All the local media channels covered the riots live on television, where LAPD officers were seen containing the rioters, but taking some time before actively dispersing the crowd.

"The LAPD was roundly criticized for not taking a harder approach to the rioters.[citation needed]..."

"Nationally embarrassed[citation needed] by its handling of the Lakers' Victory Riot, the city and the LAPD revised its plan for the 2000 Democratic Convention to take place less than two months."

I dont think politicians need any more shielding from the public......they are alrdy too distant and priviledged

Cleveland has watched what has gone down in other cities as far as protestors violent behavior,and don't want it in their city,free speech doesn't mean you can say what you want,while your assaulting someone.

I dont think politicians need any more shielding from the public......they are alrdy too distant and priviledged
I think we've just seen two examples of how insulated political elites are from the people they allegedly serve. First the rise of Trump in the US and, secondly, the Brexit results in the UK.

Apparently, some elites never see it coming. According to some sources when the Bolsheviks came to power in Moscow, Russian Aristocrats on their way to the opera wondered where all the people were going.

It can happen here at the ballot box if enough US voters start choosing between third party candidates instead of Republican OR Democrat when they vote next November.

Cleveland has watched what has gone down in other cities as far as protestors violent behavior,and don't want it in their city,free speech doesn't mean you can say what you want,while your assaulting someone.
I suppose some in Cleveland's government are wondering what will happen if Trump is denied the nomination. While that seems unlikely at the moment, it's clear some of his supporters wouldn't turn the other cheek and support Paul Ryan? If the Cleveland PD overreacts defensively to protester aggression, I would understand why that could happen. If the Cleveland PD initiates the violence, as the Chicago PD did in 1968, Trump might actually win in November.:eek:
Cleveland Readies For Protests Ahead Of Potentially Volatile GOP Convention

Any violent behavior will not be Trump people or any other Republican,that will come from the left,the level which has occurred,and Trump hasn't officially nominated,will be surpassed if he does.

If Trump is cut out,his people will be pissed and should be ,but alot of violence, unlikely.

Any violent behavior will not be Trump people or any other Republican,that will come from the left,the level which has occurred,and Trump hasn't officially nominated,will be surpassed if he does.

If Trump is cut out,his people will be pissed and should be ,but alot of violence, unlikely.
"Cleveland officials and the Secret Service offer few details about their plans, but say they're working to ensure a safe week.

"'This is going to be a secure event,' Secret Service spokesman Kevin Dye said, declining to elaborate.

"Riot Gear And Out-Of-Town Police

"Cleveland plans to buy barricades, bicycles, batons and 2,000 sets of riot gear, along with other equipment.

"The city and Philadelphia, which is hosting the Democratic National Convention, have each received $50 million in federal grants to cover security expenses."
Cleveland Readies For Protests Ahead Of Potentially Volatile GOP Convention
Hopefully, Trump receives exactly what he has so justly earned, in Cleveland and beyond.

I think we've just seen two examples of how insulated political elites are from the people they allegedly serve. First the rise of Trump in the US and, secondly, the Brexit results in the UK.

Apparently, some elites never see it coming. According to some sources when the Bolsheviks came to power in Moscow, Russian Aristocrats on their way to the opera wondered where all the people were going.

It can happen here at the ballot box if enough US voters start choosing between third party candidates instead of Republican OR Democrat when they vote next November.

I have already voted third party, Perot. I will not repeat that mistake this time around. One Clinton was bad enough for the country, this one must not be rewarded. If she drops out, then I will consider third party.

I have already voted third party, Perot. I will not repeat that mistake this time around. One Clinton was bad enough for the country, this one must not be rewarded. If she drops out, then I will consider third party.
Since you voted for Ross, I guess we have you to blame for the Clinton Crime family's quarter-century pillage of US democracy? I vote third party every time and will do so again this time around. My fondest hope is that millions of Republicans and Democrats will also choose between Green or Libertarian candidates since either Trump or Clinton will bring this country one step closer to a crisis it may not recover from, imho.

Forum List

Back