Mary Lou Retton currently in ICU ‘fighting for her life’

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Doesn't sound great for her.

"Olympic gold medalist and West Virginia native Mary Lou Retton is in an Intensive Care Unit and “fighting for her life” as she battles pneumonia.

According to a *spotfund set up by her daughter, McKenna Kelley, Retton has been in the ICU for “over a week now” and has not been able to breathe on her own. Kelley said that out of respect for her mother’s privacy, she would not disclose any more details, but she did say that Retton is uninsured."

Doesn't sound great for her.

"Olympic gold medalist and West Virginia native Mary Lou Retton is in an Intensive Care Unit and “fighting for her life” as she battles pneumonia.

According to a *spotfund set up by her daughter, McKenna Kelley, Retton has been in the ICU for “over a week now” and has not been able to breathe on her own. Kelley said that out of respect for her mother’s privacy, she would not disclose any more details, but she did say that Retton is uninsured."
She is only 55.

I read where it's a rare form of pneumonia. Sorry to hear about this, but no insurance?
So much for Obamacare

She probably makes too much for Medicaid but no idea why no marketplace insurance.

She probably makes to much for Medicaid but no idea why no marketplace insurance.
How do these athletes keep making money when their ability to compete is short lived?

I guess she could go the Bruce Jenner route and have a reality show and have a sex change or something.

She sure did make bob haircuts popular. I don't like them, but she did set that trend.

Oh whoops! That was Dorothy Hammil.

Last edited:
I remember how much hype she was getting in 1984, so much so that I couldn't stand to hear another word about her or see her picture. I hope she survives and makes a full recovery, she is too young to die, I wonder what she looked like when she got sick? Was she morbidly obese? They have a harder time fighting pneumonia.

Yeah. You have to be fucking destitute to get Medicaid. I have no idea what she did after her gymnastics career, but fame is pretty fleeting.

Fairmont is not a booming metropolis. Think I read that their hospital closed a few years ago so she is probably at WVU-Ruby Memorial. Not much of a local economy that I know of. I've stopped there a few times going to or from games in Morgantown.

Forum List

Back