Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan to donate 99 percent of their Facebook fortune

Wow, what a generous couple.

Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan to donate 99 percent of their Facebook fortune

In a surprise announcement today, Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have pledged to donate 99 percent of their Facebook shares to the cause of human advancement. That represents roughly $45 billion at Facebook's current valuation, making it one of the largest pledges in history. The money will go to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a company that Facebook says will "pursue its mission by funding non-profit organizations, making private investments and participating in policy debates, in each case with the goal of generating positive impact in areas of great need."

Wow, probably like Buffett and Gates, he's going to sock the money away in a tax free trust. The Waltons didn't do that, but Liberals billionaires do

Didn't Sam Walton give most of his money to his kids?
That's how it's supposed to be.

Aren't our resident nutbags something! If there is a dark side to any act or event....these fuckers will find it.

Way to go!
Tell me why give money to a company you own so that company can give it to other charities?

It's an accounting scam that you would be whining about if some other corporation did the same thing

Tell me why give money to a company you own so that company can give it to other charities?
Because that's how it is done.

Tax advantages are given to the person doing the donating. Then tax advantages are given to that charity so that it can analyze other charities to which it is considering donations. Then, if his charity didn't have the tax incentives it does, it wouldn't be able to give as much to those charities.

It would have to pay MORE TAXES.

This is the direct value of tax incentives, they work pretty well, and virtually everyone uses them.

Nothing wrong with that.

Aren't our resident nutbags something! If there is a dark side to any act or event....these fuckers will find it.

Way to go!

It's an accounting scam that you would be whining about if some other corporation did the same thing
So you can direct that money to areas you are passionate about. People said the same thing about the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. It now gives out close to a billion dollars a year to biomedical research.

Way to go!

So you can direct that money to areas you are passionate about. People said the same thing about the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. It now gives out close to a billion dollars a year to biomedical research.

You can do that without the accounting scam can't you?

Way to go!

Nope. Mac already explained why they do it.

I think it's funny that you are suggesting that the Zuckerbergs pay higher taxes.

Way to go!

I think it's funny that you are suggesting that the Zuckerbergs pay higher taxes.

Where did I say they should pay higher taxes?

WHere did I ever say there should be a tax rate increase?

You idiots can't see a tax dodge for what it is because some guy says its for charity

I would think you would be against it because it is nothing but a tax dodge

If some corp did it you'd be whining about it

Way to go!

Where did I say they should pay higher taxes?

WHere did I ever say there should be a tax rate increase?

You idiots can't see a tax dodge for what it is because some guy says its for charity

I would think you would be against it because it is nothing but a tax dodge

If some corp did it you'd be whining about it

Nope. You'll never see me whine when a corporation ( which Facebook is, by the way ) does charitable work. You've been eating your sour shit soup for so long.....you think everyone is as insanely cynical as you are.

Way to go!

It's kind of hard to do after you die. This is something that is supposed to last for generations. Besides, there are all kinds of laws and regulations concerning how the money is spent depending on what kind of trust it is.

Corporations do this all the time.

Way to go!

It's kind of hard to do after you die. This is something that is supposed to last for generations. Besides, there are all kinds of laws and regulations concerning how the money is spent depending on what kind of trust it is.

If he wanted to give 99% of his money away while he was alive he could

All he has to do is donate it to charities he doesn't own

Sorry but if IBM donated 99% of its profits to another shell company charity owned by IBM you would be all up in arms about it

This is no different

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that is illegal as hell. Sounds like fraud and tax evasion. You believe the Wal-Mart Foundation, Novartis Foundation, Wells Fargo Foundation, etc. are shell companies?

you would be all up in arms about it

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I'm not a republican so why would I give a fuck?

Maybe you should try to expand your mind out of the 2 dimensional world you're living in

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that is illegal as hell. Sounds like fraud and tax evasion. You believe the Wal-Mart Foundation, Novartis Foundation, Wells Fargo Foundation, etc. are shell companies?

you would be all up in arms about it

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I'm not a republican so why would I give a fuck?

Maybe you should try to expand your mind out of the 2 dimensional world you're living in
So if it's illegal for a corp to do it why would it not be illegal for an individual?

If he wanted to give 99% of his money away while he was alive he could. All he has to do is donate it to charities he doesn't own.
Then he would still get the appropriate tax deductions.

By donating to his own charity, he has more control over where the money ultimately goes.

I don't think that's exactly a bad idea. It's his money.

If he wanted to give 99% of his money away while he was alive he could. All he has to do is donate it to charities he doesn't own.

By donating to his own charity, he has more control over where the money ultimately goes.

But if he gave that money to charities other than the one he owns he wouldn't be able to use the money he got the tax break on for his own private jet and globetrotting would he?

But if he gave that money to charities other than the one he owns he wouldn't be able to use the money he got the tax break on for his own private jet and globetrotting would he?
That wouldn't be good. Do you have evidence of that?

That wouldn't be good. Do you have evidence of that?

Are you that naive?

The clintons use their foundation for the same thing sure they throw a few scraps to the peasants but they benefit far more

and time will tell about Zuckerberg but he's no different than anyone else his "charity" will have a private jet, cars and fancy hotel suites as expenses

I'll put money on it

Forum List

Back