Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan to donate 99 percent of their Facebook fortune

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Wow, what a generous couple.

Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan to donate 99 percent of their Facebook fortune

In a surprise announcement today, Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have pledged to donate 99 percent of their Facebook shares to the cause of human advancement. That represents roughly $45 billion at Facebook's current valuation, making it one of the largest pledges in history. The money will go to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a company that Facebook says will "pursue its mission by funding non-profit organizations, making private investments and participating in policy debates, in each case with the goal of generating positive impact in areas of great need."

In a surprise announcement today, Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have pledged to donate 99 percent of their Facebook shares to the cause of human advancement. That represents roughly $45 billion at Facebook's current valuation, making it one of the largest pledges in history. The money will go to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a company that Facebook says will "pursue its mission by funding non-profit organizations, making private investments and participating in policy debates, in each case with the goal of generating positive impact in areas of great need."

Wow, probably like Buffett and Gates, he's going to sock the money away in a tax free trust. The Waltons didn't do that, but Liberals billionaires do

OP: I am easily distracted by shiny objects

If you don't believe in ultra liberal causes, you need not apply. I hope their children have them declared incompetent someday and take over their fortune.

Ya...And here's the other shoe,

Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg's 99% pledge is born with strings attached | Devon Maloney

Mark Zuckerberg is not giving 99% of his Facebook shares to a charity

"To do this, Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have set up the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a limited liability company - not a charity or charitable trust. Legal filings show that the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is owned and controlled by Zuckerberg.

A spokesperson has confirmed to Buzzfeed that as a company, the Initiative can spend its money on whatever it wants - including private, profit-generating investment.

The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative SEC filing

“The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative will pursue its mission by funding non-profit organizations, making private investments and participating in policy debates, in each case with the goal of generating positive impact in areas of great need," the spokesperson said.

"Any profits from investments in companies will be used to fund additional work to advance the mission.”

In November those investments have included:

* $20 million to help connect American classrooms to fast and reliable internet
* $5 million in MasteryConnect, a teaching software
* $5 million to TheDream.US to help undocumented immigrants, in San Francisco attend college
* $15 million in AltSchool, an education initiative focussing on personalised learning and technology
* $10 million in Bridge international acadamies

That's a lot of education technology, an area aligned with Facebook's mission of connecting people. It's not exactly eradicating malaria."

Yep, they're doing it voluntarily, like Buffett and others.

That list is growing.

That's how real change happens, voluntarily, spreading through the culture.
Donating your own money to your own charity is nothing but a ploy to avoid taxes IOW it's a fucking scam

I'd be more impressed if they donated all their money to a charity that had nothing to do with either of them

That list is growing.

Donating your own money to your own charity is nothing but a ploy to avoid taxes IOW it's a fucking scam

I'd be more impressed if they donated all their money to a charity that had nothing to do with either of them
I suspect the Clinton Foundation has much in common.

That list is growing.

I suspect the Clinton Foundation has much in common.
The Clintons probably taught them that trick

Wow, probably like Buffett and Gates, he's going to sock the money away in a tax free trust. The Waltons didn't do that, but Liberals billionaires do

Didn't Sam Walton give most of his money to his kids?

That list is growing.

Perhaps the charity is doing good, perhaps the money is going to good things. Perhaps it will, more so, in the future.

I don't care if he gets a write off. The more the private sector helps - and it certainly can - the better.

That's what write-offs are for - to encourage positive financial behavior.

That list is growing.

Perhaps the charity is doing good, perhaps the money is going to good things. Perhaps it will, more so, in the future.

I don't care if he gets a write off. The more the private sector helps - and it certainly can - the better.

Sorry they're getting a write off and will fund their globetrotting through the charity there is no altruism there

I doubt they are being altruistic at all.

Most billionaire's take very good care of their money and anything they do with that money will benefit them in some way.

Oh I'm sure some of it will aid someone somewhere but anyone who thinks they are actually giving away 99% of their fortune is an idiot.

That list is growing.

Sorry they're getting a write off and will fund their globetrotting through the charity there is no altruism there
I suspect you wouldn't be quite so negative on this if he had an (R) after his name.

That list is growing.

I suspect you wouldn't be quite so negative on this if he had an (R) after his name.
I'm not a republican so why would I give a fuck?

Maybe you should try to expand your mind out of the 2 dimensional world you're living in

The simple fact is people do what's best for them first
He is donating his money to another company he owns

How can you be so naive

That list is growing.

Maybe you should try to expand your mind out of the 2 dimensional world you're living in

How can you be so naive
Great, people do what's best for them first.

And if we can encourage them to help others at the same time, that's a real win-win.

I don't see a problem here, outside of politics.

Didn't Sam Walton give most of his money to his kids?

Taxable, right. Not the Sam Walton Trust, right?

How can you be so naive
Great, people do what's best for them first.

And if we can encourage them to help others at the same time, that's a real win-win.

I don't see a problem here, outside of politics.

It remains to be seen how much of that money will help anyone but the Zuckerbergs

Most likely it will do nothing but fund there lifestyle while maybe giving out a few pennies here and there

Forum List

Back