Mark Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny trashed by a conservative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bfgrn, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberty and Tyranny and Epistemic Closure [Jim Manzi]

Jonah notes Ross Douthat’s very interesting post, in which Ross had this to say:

Conservative domestic policy would be in better shape if conservative magazines and conservative columnists were more willing to call out Republican politicians (and, to a lesser extent, conservative entertainers) for offering bromides instead of substance, and for pandering instead of grappling with real policy questions.

I thought some about this over the past few days, and took this as a direct challenge.

Here goes.

I started to read Mark Levin’s massive bestseller Liberty and Tyranny a number of months ago as debate swirled around it. I wasn’t expecting a PhD thesis (and in fact had hoped to write a post supporting the book as a well-reasoned case for certain principles that upset academics just because it didn’t employ a bunch of pseudo-intellectual tropes). But when I waded into the first couple of chapters, I found that — while I had a lot of sympathy for many of its basic points — it seemed to all but ignore the most obvious counter-arguments that could be raised to any of its assertions. This sounds to me like a pretty good plain English meaning of epistemic closure. The problem with this, of course, is that unwillingness to confront the strongest evidence or arguments contrary to our own beliefs normally means we fail to learn quickly, and therefore persist in correctable error.

I’m not expert on many topics the book addresses, so I flipped to its treatment of a subject that I’ve spent some time studying — global warming — in order to see how it treated a controversy in which I’m at least familiar with the various viewpoints and some of the technical detail.

It was awful.

Whole article...

James Manzi is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Yessir, we conservatives goosestep lockstep and don't do any independent thinking and never question authority or think beyond surface levels.

Also, notice the catfight is between two guys named Levin and Goldberg. We don't allow minorities either.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,766
    At least the OP is being consistent.

It's just like the way the Lefties think the Tea Party Movement is controlled by some big organization. It's inconceivable that people can think and act for themselves.

4. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    M'eh. You can't blame Levin for capitalizing on right-wing outrage. It's a pretty easy formula: write a book full of tripe, banality, rhetoric, and name calling, promote it on the proper conservative talk shows, release it, watch it get bought in bulk and given away by conservative movements and end up on the bargain bin at ever Barnes and Nobel in a few months.

It does nothing for being an intellectual or legitimate public debate at large, but it sure is profitable.

Hell, Ann Coulter has essentially sold the same book with a different binder to righties six times over.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Goosestep is a proper phrase. Any right wing 'individual' is free to express their 'individual' beliefs, just as long as those beliefs strictly conform to the group speak, otherwise, they are ostracized, condemned and fired, like David Frum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Groupthink at National Review

April 23rd, 2010 at 12:32 pm by David Frum

How wonderful to return to a free country, I thought as I stepped off the plane from Beijing at Washington Dulles. No more censorship, no more official lies, no more kowtowing to high officials who gained power by their mindless repetition of party dogma…

Then alas I opened my browser and read the dump-on-Manzi comments on NRO’s The Corner. Manzi had deviated from the One Correct Way of Mark Levin Thought, and all his former colleagues had been summoned together to Denounce and Struggle Against Him.

Groupthink at National Review | FrumForum

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Wow... another uber partisan trying an attack on an entertainer in some way as to link it to anyone they consider their opposition... color me shocked, NOT

7. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    Nonsense. You are letting your bias do the talking. This is not a good policy.

In fact, the work by Mark Levin is of a very high caliber.

His book does further intellectual and legitimate debate 9at large and otherwise).

Ms. Coulter has never written a book anywhere comparable to the work by Mark Levin.

And if you read Mark Levin's book and came away thinking it is full of tripe and name calling, then your reading comprehension is dubious at best.

Had you (or anyone else) chosen to be a bit less partisan in your criticism, there are surely some valid grounds to criticize portions of Levin's book. But you didn't land on any of them. Neither did Douthat in his piece featured in the always biased prose of Bfgrn, the partisan hack author of the thread's OP.

And, oh, by the way, the Levin tome was a long time #1 NY Slimes BESTSELLER. Even today,
    per TOWER.

Amazon has it (now) at:
    And, as you know, the spineless, gutless, hypocritical libs over at the NY Slimes didn't even ever find the temerity to provide a review of the book. How un-surprising. It's interesting that it sold well over a million volumes.

8. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,825
    Levin is a whiney, annoying little douchebag.

9. Cal

Cal Since 2010™

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Gahh..I fucking hate Mark Levin's voice.

10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Does Bfgrn know the meaning of Irony? And all due respect to Zoom Boing, it is not the opposite of wrinkly.

He is airing a 6 way catfight between conservatives as proof that the cooperative mind is unable to handle independent thought or criticism.

This is not the first time cat fights like this haven't flashed out of National Reviews corner either.

Anyway, it is a good read, and if Bfgrn encourages liberals to look into it, more power to him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2