Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

Rightwingtools want small government my ass.
Pot is way less dangerous than beer or cigarettes and is now prescribed for dozens of medical ailments by doctors.
you assholes on the right love wars of choice so I'm not upset you lose millions of votes on this issue.
It lines right up with your hate of minorities as the initial reason to ban was sold with racism.

hey Tops.....i know many leftwingers who are adamantly against this ......and i know many on the right who are for the legalization of this....so lets not be a Deanbot here....ok?....

National Drug Control Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske
(Credit: JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images) A new government report blames increased marijuana use for an uptick in the overall use of illicit drugs among Americans.

The annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows the rate of illicit drug use rose from eight percent in 2008 to 8.7 percent in 2009. The survey also found increases in the use of ecstasy and methamphetamines.

Authorities are especially concerned about use of illicit drugs by young people. The survey by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration found 21.2 percent of young adults experimented with illegal drugs in 2009. The report says the trend "was also driven in large part by the use of marijuana."

National Drug Control Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske told CBS Radio News, young people are being exposed to "mixed messages" about marijuana including the idea that it is a medicine.

The "drug czar" said marijuana "may have properties that have medicinal values that should be tested" but he insisted it is not medicine.

Kerlikowske views marijuana as "an entry drug." The survey found that for the first time since 2002, less than half of young people believe using marijuana is harmful.

The Obama administration remains strongly opposed to legalization of marijuana.

CBSNews.com Special Report: Marijuana Nation
Coincidentally, the survey is being released as California voters consider a November ballot issue on legalizing pot.

Proponents believe the move would ease crowded court dockets and weaken Mexican drug cartels. Kerlikowske and many veteran former federal drug enforcement officials reject those ideas.

The president's drug adviser said it is a "false argument" to say marijuana legalization would reduce cartel violence in Mexico. Kerlikowske, a former police chief and undercover narcotics detective, noted, "Taking one small part of the (cartel) enterprise, marijuana away from them isn't going to change them."

He concedes the drug gangs south of the border can not be totally defeated but he believes "their impact and their violence can be reduced."

While the report emphasizes the detrimental effects of marijuana, Kerlikowske says abuse of prescription drugs rises to the top of his concerns because, "young people don't perceive them as dangerous or addictive."

He said the availability of prescription medications in home medicine cabinets often makes them widely available and attractive to young people. The non-medical use of prescription drugs notched up slightly to nearly three percent of the population.

The annual survey offered some encouraging news. It showed decreasing levels of tobacco use to a new low level of 23.3 percent. But the report warned, "The pace of improvement is stagnating."

The administration's drug control strategy emphasizes prevention and treatment along with law enforcement. Kerlikowske told CBS News, "We have had a focus of a criminal justice lens on drug abuse for quite a while." He added, "It should be a blend" that includes prevention and education.

The administration is seeking a 13 percent increase in funding for the federal drug abuse prevention effort.

The drug control policy chief rejects the term, "War on Drugs."

He said, "If we approach it with the same level of complexity that we approach things like cancer, I think we're better off than telling the American public, here's a bumper sticker to solve your problem."

The survey covers the transition year as President Obama took office. Next year's report will be the first true test of any initial results from the administration's approach to a drug abuse problem that has been a national challenge for decades.

Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way to stop the flow of illegal drugs into the US is to remove the franchisers that are here. Boot out the Mexicans and cut off the flow of illegal drugs. Simple.

Total BS, people are using more drugs to escape the reality that is the US economic and political situation today.

It's going to be legal, the hard core religious right will just need to be pulled into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

I agree with you topspin, it will eventually be legal again... That said, until then it is still ILLEGAL and I will show little pity for those ignorant enough to get caught smoking/with it.

why?.....whats going to happen?.....

some ignorant folks in this thread, on BOTH sides of the issue.

Pot IS addictive and it is a gateway drug, for SOME.

Oh, to answer the LEO question. I know first hand of pot heads attacking LEO, for a variety of reasons. No, it isn't like meth , which just makes a person lose their minds, but a pothead will act aggressively just like any other criminal if they think they are about to be arrested.

morning conhog....

I'm not sure how addictive it really is....

my experience;

i've known lots of people who smoked pot until....late 20s? early 30's?

who decided to stop smoking for one reason or another (settling down? raising a family?)

anyway
I noticed that every one who stopped (and they don't all stop...many keep smoking until they die of old age but NOT cancer)....
just quit....cold turkey...

no night sweats
no panic attacks
no desperation to get more....

they just stopped smoking and that was that.....

seems to me a REALLY ADDICTIVE substance would have been more difficult for them to give up

as for aggression....
I don't know your experiences but MOST of us who smoked or knew people who smoked saw people (pot smokers) who were NOT violent and far more inclined to just talk

I know LOTS of musicians and almost ALL of them smoke pot (still, even in their 40's 50's 60's...willie nelson!)

not a violent person among them

I know a couple of guys who, at night, after supper, will smoke a little pot, retreat to their cellars and spend hours working on making/building furniture and cabinets. These guys make really good stuff, too...

back in my 20's and early 30's my friends and I would get together on a saturday afternoon, smoke a little pot and play basketballl or frisbee (ultimate or frolf)

and many people still find pot to be an aphrodisiac

I don't smoke it much anymore these days (can't get it! if it was legal I'd be a more regular toker) but when I do the first thing I think of is "getting it on" with my woman....

anyway
it's probably less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol
and in a freedom loving country with citizens who believe in smaller government and keeping the government out of our private lives it really should be legal

i have to agree here.....i knew many who smoked a long time,myself included,stopped without no problems.......also the only violent Pot smokers i knew were either drinking or were doing speed or something along those lines....

Oh, to answer the LEO question. I know first hand of pot heads attacking LEO, for a variety of reasons. No, it isn't like meth , which just makes a person lose their minds, but a pothead will act aggressively just like any other criminal if they think they are about to be arrested.

morning conhog....

my experience;

who decided to stop smoking for one reason or another (settling down? raising a family?)

anyway
I noticed that every one who stopped (and they don't all stop...many keep smoking until they die of old age but NOT cancer)....

no night sweats
no panic attacks

seems to me a REALLY ADDICTIVE substance would have been more difficult for them to give up

as for aggression....
I don't know your experiences but MOST of us who smoked or knew people who smoked saw people (pot smokers) who were NOT violent and far more inclined to just talk

I know LOTS of musicians and almost ALL of them smoke pot (still, even in their 40's 50's 60's...willie nelson!)

I know a couple of guys who, at night, after supper, will smoke a little pot, retreat to their cellars and spend hours working on making/building furniture and cabinets. These guys make really good stuff, too...

back in my 20's and early 30's my friends and I would get together on a saturday afternoon, smoke a little pot and play basketballl or frisbee (ultimate or frolf)

I don't smoke it much anymore these days (can't get it! if it was legal I'd be a more regular toker) but when I do the first thing I think of is "getting it on" with my woman....

anyway
and in a freedom loving country with citizens who believe in smaller government and keeping the government out of our private lives it really should be legal

i have to agree here.....i knew many who smoked a long time,myself included,stopped without no problems.......also the only violent Pot smokers i knew were either drinking or were doing speed or something along those lines....

Yep. Pot is about as dangerous and flowers and spice and everything nice :)

lonestar GED I have and MBA and prob make twice what you do. Smoke through grad school while achieving a 3.88 GPA. The founding fathers grew and smoked pot. You don't read much so you likely don't know that. The laws are racist, you probably like that part of it.

I have seen evidence that the founding fathers GREW hemp (which isn't real pot...right?)
I have seen NO REAL EVIDENCE that they SMOKED pot....

though I have read OPINIONS that claimed our founding fathers were smoking it when they were gathered together discussing the revolution....

I have, however, seen one reference to lincoln saying that he liked nothing better than sitting on his porch smoking pot....

12 Presidents Who Allegedly Smoked Weed | Politics

12 Presidents Who Allegedly Smoked Weed

George Washington (read: his slaves) grew hemp on his farm. Some people believe he used marijuana to help his chronic tooth aches. He also supposedly preferred his hemp pipe over alcohol and loved how it smelled.

Thomas Jefferson (read: his slaves) also grew hemp. He drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper. And he supposedly hated smoking tobacco. “Some of my finest hours have been spent on the back of my veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as the eye can see.” is something Jefferson supposedly said in 1781, according to the Internet. One source even said that Washington and Jefferson exchanged smoking blends as personal gifts.

Monroe began smoking weed as an Ambassador to France and continued smoking it until he was 73. Or so the story goes.

Jackson was a military man who supposedly smoked with his troops.

“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” – Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany). That quote was listed on HuffPo, but commenters noticed they couldn’t find it anywhere reputable.

Didn't Kennedy and the Joint Chiefs smoke dope when they planned "The Bay of Pigs Invasion"? That would have explained a lot!

lonestar GED I have and MBA and prob make twice what you do. Smoke through grad school while achieving a 3.88 GPA. The founding fathers grew and smoked pot. You don't read much so you likely don't know that. The laws are racist, you probably like that part of it.

The only thing you have is vivid imagination.

Prove your claim.

LOL last week the fool claimed his son played for the 2003 LSU Tigers. When asked number and position he ran from the thread.

That bitch is still in high school, I guarantee you that.

I don't know Conhog, I'm thinking the stooge is a high school reject.

Exposing the Myth of Smoked Medical Marijuana

• Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use:
  • The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2.
  • In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled.
  • There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.
  • Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette.
  • Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana.3
  • Smoking marijuana also weakens the immune system4 and raises the risk of lung infections.5 A Columbia University study found that a control group smoking a single marijuana cigarette every other day for a year had a white-blood-cell count that was 39 percent lower than normal, thus damaging the immune system and making the user far more susceptible to infection and sickness.6
  • Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence.
  • More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999.
  • Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7

Christ Lonestar at least use a no-biased source.....the DEA?.....come on Dude....

It's going to be legal, the hard core religious right will just need to be pulled into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

I agree with you topspin, it will eventually be legal again... That said, until then it is still ILLEGAL and I will show little pity for those ignorant enough to get caught smoking/with it.

Well if I'm not mistaken, those caught with or smoking it will face some type of retribution from the judicial system...

rikules;2740718 “Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp said:
Wasn't Lincoln smoking dope at Ford's Theatre when he dared any cross dressing homosexual Southern actor to come up and shoot him?

Exposing the Myth of Smoked Medical Marijuana

• Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use:
  • The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2.
  • In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled.
  • There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.
  • Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette.
  • Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana.3
  • Smoking marijuana also weakens the immune system4 and raises the risk of lung infections.5 A Columbia University study found that a control group smoking a single marijuana cigarette every other day for a year had a white-blood-cell count that was 39 percent lower than normal, thus damaging the immune system and making the user far more susceptible to infection and sickness.6
  • Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence.
  • More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999.
  • Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7

Christ Lonestar at least use a no-biased source.....the DEA?.....come on Dude....

They listed each source.

1Herbert Kleber, Mitchell Rosenthal, "Drug Myths from Abroad: Leniency is Dangerous, not Compassionate" Foreign Affairs Magazine, September/October 1998. Drug Watch International "NIDA Director cites Studies that Marijuana is Addictive." "Research Finds Marijuana is Addictive," Washington Times, July 24, 1995.
2National Institue of Drug Abuse, Journal of the American Medical Association, Journal of Clinical Phamacology, International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Pharmacology Review.
3"Marijuana and Heart Attacks" Washington Post, March 3, 2000
4I. B. Adams and BR Martin, "Cannabis: Pharmacology and Toxicology in Animals and Humans" Addiction 91: 1585-1614. 1996.
5National Institute of Drug Abuse, "Smoking Any Substance Raises Risk of Lung Infections" NIDA Notes, Volume 12, Number 1, January/February 1997.
6Dr. James Dobson, "Marijuana Can Cause Great Harm" Washington Times, February 23, 1999.
72000 National Drug Control Strategy Annual Report, page 13.
8"Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Institute of Medicine, 1999.
9See footnotes in response to question 4 regarding marijuana's short and long term health effects.
10"Marijuana Appetite Boost Lacking in Cancer Study" The New York Times, May 13, 2001.
11Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health.
12Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health.

You're welcome to check it for yourself.

I'm not putting personal info in detail for you nut jobs.
I had 3 college athlete sons, 1 football/baseball, 2 wrestling at Iowa.
Personally I could never have even made my high school team, I boxed and got a black belt.

I wish you haters would read up on the issue, if it was good enough for the founding fathers you so called small gov conservatives shouldn't give a shit if an adult smokes in his own home.

Well if I'm not mistaken, those caught with or smoking it will face some type of retribution from the judicial system...

what a ticket....if that?....in some cases as long as your not in a vehical and you have under an ounce the cops dont care.....and this i was told by Anaheim Cops at a Coffee shop before work...

Rightwingtools want small government my ass.
Pot is way less dangerous than beer or cigarettes and is now prescribed for dozens of medical ailments by doctors.
you assholes on the right love wars of choice so I'm not upset you lose millions of votes on this issue.
It lines right up with your hate of minorities as the initial reason to ban was sold with racism.

hey Tops.....i know many leftwingers who are adamantly against this ......and i know many on the right who are for the legalization of this....so lets not be a Deanbot here....ok?....

so do I, however take a look at votes it's lopsided for dems in favor of ending prohibition and conservatives supporting prohibition.

I'm not putting personal info in detail for you nut jobs.
I had 3 college athlete sons, 1 football/baseball, 2 wrestling at Iowa.
Personally I could never have even made my high school team, I boxed and got a black belt.

I wish you haters would read up on the issue, if it was good enough for the founding fathers you so called small gov conservatives shouldn't give a shit if an adult smokes in his own home.

I love how the guy who is always making bold generalized comments about anyone who is not a Liberal Democrat. is now crying about us "haters"

It is clear that you hate Conservatives, It is also clear you do no know what all conservatives think. Here you are still implying all conservatives give a shit what people smoke in their own homes. when in fact there are several Conservatives on this thread who have shown the do not.

Last edited:
Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

Not surprising.

I have no doubt that were this a government report telling us something you didn't agree with you would be explaining how it can't be trusted.

pot is no more dangerous than alcohol
in a free country pot shoud be legal

in a country in which the people believe the government should stay out of our private lives pot would be legal

people who oppse a nanny state shoud support legalization of pot

people who don't want OTHER people telling THEM how to live should support the legalization of pot

That's your opinion.

Why not make all drugs legal.

The fallacy of the slippery slope argument.

Medical marijuana is legal in my state. I have a plant ready to harvest in a couple weeks. I'm allowed to grow 15 plants legally. That's a lot of weed.

And I am pretty conservative.

morning conhog....

my experience;

anyway

no night sweats
no panic attacks

as for aggression....

anyway

Except for the assholes who lace their pot with LSD or something similar. Or do you not consider them to be pot users anymore?

morning conhog....

my experience;

anyway

no night sweats
no panic attacks

as for aggression....

anyway

Except for the assholes who lace their pot with LSD or something similar. Or do you not consider them to be pot users anymore?

Spoken like somebody who has never bought or sold, or smoked Pot.

That is a BS line the government uses to scare people about Pot. There are no dealers who lace their shit with expensive crap Like PCP and do not tell you about it when you but it. So they can charge more.

And LCD? if you knew anything at all you would know you don't lace weed with LCD. As you do not get the effects from it when you Burn it up.

The idea that dealers lace their pot with expensive harder drugs and then do not tell people it is in there. Is laughable. exposes your intense ignorance about the subject.

what a ticket....if that?....in some cases as long as your not in a vehical and you have under an ounce the cops dont care.....and this i was told by Anaheim Cops at a Coffee shop before work...

When I worked with the drug task force we didn't bother with pot unless

A) it was over a pound
B) we found it in conjunction with other drugs

Now granted , 99% of the time when we served a warrant there were in fact other drugs present, but sometimes even then pot was ignored.

Case in point, we served a warrant on this house because the guy who lived there was suspected of selling meth. Lots of meth in his house, pus untold guns, money, etc etc. And in granny's nightstand? 6 oz of pot . Turned out granny had glaucoma. Now we do not allow medical pot in Arkansas, but the DEA agent who was in charge slipped the pot back in granny's nightstand told her to have a good night and instructed all of us to forget we ever saw that pot. Mr Meth went to prison.

SO this BS about people getting busted for simple possession of pot is just so much garbage.

Forum List

Back