Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

[*]Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7
[/LIST]

If it's less than twice as potent, why does it cost more than 10 times as much? What a rip off. No wonder those folks I know who still partake roll those matchstick doobs.

[*]Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7
[/LIST]

If it's less than twice as potent, why does it cost more than 10 times as much? What a rip off. No wonder those folks I know who still partake roll those matchstick doobs.

Economics 101

As for MJ being a gateway drug, there is an element of truth to this argument. However one must consider cause and effect. Consider, by only a few degrees of seperation a person who chooses to buy MJ must come in contact with a professional criminal, and professionally criminals make their money by selling drugs other than MJ.
Cutting the weed with other drugs is one way to introduce a user of MJ with stronger and more profitable substances, and of course while marketing a small amount of MJ a dealer might toss in a freebee, a little taste of speed or crack as a friendly gesture.

Kids use MJ. "Just say No" was a joke. We need to educate kids on the harm of drug use, and MJ is harmful to the physical development of the brain, expecially the linkage between the left and right hemispheres in teens and tweens. Any association with criminals is not what we want in terms of child development either, for some kids as well as grown-ups have already decided to sell drugs and caviet emptor is the operating ethos of that element.

Removing MJ from schedule I and allowing the States to ban or not makes sense. The regulated sale of MJ will provide some quality control, likely reduce the amount of illegal MJ on the streets and schoolyards and provide revenue for treatement and education.

Or, we can continue to do what we've done for the past 30 years and "Just say no".

I don't think added revenue is a good argument to make when considering legalizing pot. Let's be honest.

A) Most are simply going to grow there own, unless of course you make THAT illegal, in which case you are of course still criminalizing aspects of pot, and most users wouldn't be happy about that.

and

B) The government would certainly just waste the money and we wouldn't even notice any net gain.

really to be honest, most don't grow now niether to cigarette smokers
It's less dangerous than beer and regulating would make it harder for teens to get. But useless narc would lose jobs as well as GED's working as jailers.

Exposing the Myth of Smoked Medical Marijuana

• Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use:
  • The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2.
  • In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled.
  • There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.
  • Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette.
  • Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana.3
  • Smoking marijuana also weakens the immune system4 and raises the risk of lung infections.5 A Columbia University study found that a control group smoking a single marijuana cigarette every other day for a year had a white-blood-cell count that was 39 percent lower than normal, thus damaging the immune system and making the user far more susceptible to infection and sickness.6
  • Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence.
  • More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999.
  • Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7

"Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use: "

1. I don't believe this.
I know too many people in their 40's 50's 60's who still smoke it and there is NO evidence in any of them of health problems

2. I don't believe it is addictive. I know too many people who STOPPED SMOKING IT cold turkey and NEVER had the urge to go back...
how addictive can it be if it is that easy to quit?

3. health problems? the same can be said for tobacco, fatty foods, alcohol.
Yet I'm sure you would consider any legislation outlawing fatty foods, alcohol or tobacco exampes of left wing liberal big government intrusion on our private lives

"The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2. "

again
I don't see any of this in the people who smoke it
and
people who drink suffer the same ill effects

if you don't mind these problems in drinkers...
why do you care so much in pot smokers?

"In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled."

I'd have to see some actual stats.
again...I have known too many people who smoked (still smoke) pot and none of them have ever had to go to the emergency room

and
LOTS of people end up sick or dying because of tobacco
and
LOTS of people end in emergency rooms because of alcohol...

"There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day."

again
not sure that I believe this
however
if you don't care that tobacco smokers (or fatty food eaters) get cancer why do you care if pot smokes do?

"Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette."

stats?
most people don't smoke a whole joint
as you contend in a few moments pot is much stronger these days so smokers smoke LESS OF IT for the same affect
where-as cigarette smokers tend to smoke LOTS of cigarettes per day

if you think tobacco should be legal and an individuals choice then why not pot?

"Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana"

is this the same left wing harvard that you despise when they report things you don't beleve in?

again
heart failure....runners die from it
fatty food eaters and fat people die from it
tobacco smokers and alcohol drinkers

are you suggesting criminalizing fatty foods?
tobacco?
alcohol?

"Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence."

and yet I know MANY people who USE TO SMOKE it who one day said..."no mas!" and just stopped COLD TURKEY....

"More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999."

I don't recommend teens smoke pot OR tobacco OR drink alcohol until they reach adulthood

"Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7 "

which is great because now a little bit goes a LONG way....

I don't smoke it as much as I use to when I was in my 20's and 30's because I can't get it where I live.
occasionally a friend will visit with some and I find 2 hits off the pipe is all I need...

and I only smoke it (these days) 3 or 4 times a year.

if it were legal and I could get it over the counter I would definitely smoke it more often

Last edited:
the more potent has been debunked many times over
inflation is why it's more costly
Cali is currently collecting many millions, so that debunks the fuck out of most will grow thier own bullshit.

• Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use:
  • The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2.
  • In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled.
  • There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.
  • Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette.
  • Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana.3
  • Smoking marijuana also weakens the immune system4 and raises the risk of lung infections.5 A Columbia University study found that a control group smoking a single marijuana cigarette every other day for a year had a white-blood-cell count that was 39 percent lower than normal, thus damaging the immune system and making the user far more susceptible to infection and sickness.6
  • Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence.
  • More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999.
  • Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7

"Marijuana is an addictive drug1 with significant health consequences to its users and others. Many harmful short-term and long-term problems have been documented with its use: "

1. I don't believe this.
I know to omany people in their 40's 50's 60's who still smoke it and there is NO evidence in any of them of health problems

2. I don't believe it is addictive. I know to omany people who STOPPED SMOKING IT cold turkey and NEVER had the urge to go back,,,

Yet I'm sure you would consider any legislation outlawing fatty foods, alcohol or tobacco exampes of left wing liberal big government intrusion on our private lives

"The short term effects of marijuana use include: memory loss, distorted perception, trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor skills, decrease in muscle strength, increased heart rate, and anxiety2. "

again
and

why do you care somuch in pot smokers?

"In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of emergency room mentions of marijuana use. From 1993-2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled."

again...I have kown to omany people who smoked (still smoke) pot and none of t hem have ever had to go to the emergency room

and
and

"There are also many long-term health consequences of marijuana use. According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day."

again
however
if you don't care that tobacco smokers (or fatty food eaters) get cancer why do you care if pot smokes do?

"Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette."

stats?
as you contend in a few moments pot is much stronger these days so smokers smoke LESS OF IT for the same affect
where-as cigarette smokers tend to smokeLOTS of cigarettes per day

if you think tobacco should be legal and an individuals choice then why not pot?

"Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana"

is this thge same left wing harvard that you despise when they report things you don't beleve in?

again

tobacco?
alcohol?

"Users can become dependent on marijuana to the point they must seek treatment to stop abusing it. In 1999, more than 200,000 Americans entered substance abuse treatment primarily for marijuana abuse and dependence."

and yet I kow MANY people who USE TO SMOKE it who one day said..."no mas!" and just stopped COLD TURKEY....

"More teens are in treatment for marijuana use than for any other drug or for alcohol. Adolescent admissions to substance abuse facilities for marijuana grew from 43 percent of all adolescent admissions in 1994 to 60 percent in 1999."

I don't recommend teens smoke pot OR tobacco OR drink alcohol until they reach adulthood

"Marijuana is much stronger now than it was decades ago. According to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content of commercial-grade marijuana rose from an average of 3.71 percent in 1985 to an average of 5.57 percent in 1998. The average THC content of U.S. produced sinsemilla increased from 3.2 percent in 1977 to 12.8 percent in 1997.7 "

I don't smoke it as much as I use to when I was in my 20's and 30's because I can't get it where I live.
occasionally a friend will visit with some and I find 2 hits off the pipe is all I need...

if it were legal and I could get it over the counter I would definitely smoke it more often

No one is asking you to believe it. Just roll another one and don't worry about it.

As for MJ being a gateway drug, there is an element of truth to this argument. However one must consider cause and effect. Consider, by only a few degrees of seperation a person who chooses to buy MJ must come in contact with a professional criminal, and professionally criminals make their money by selling drugs other than MJ.
Cutting the weed with other drugs is one way to introduce a user of MJ with stronger and more profitable substances, and of course while marketing a small amount of MJ a dealer might toss in a freebee, a little taste of speed or crack as a friendly gesture.

Kids use MJ. "Just say No" was a joke. We need to educate kids on the harm of drug use, and MJ is harmful to the physical development of the brain, expecially the linkage between the left and right hemispheres in teens and tweens. Any association with criminals is not what we want in terms of child development either, for some kids as well as grown-ups have already decided to sell drugs and caviet emptor is the operating ethos of that element.

Removing MJ from schedule I and allowing the States to ban or not makes sense. The regulated sale of MJ will provide some quality control, likely reduce the amount of illegal MJ on the streets and schoolyards and provide revenue for treatement and education.

Or, we can continue to do what we've done for the past 30 years and "Just say no".

I don't think added revenue is a good argument to make when considering legalizing pot. Let's be honest.

A) Most are simply going to grow there own, unless of course you make THAT illegal, in which case you are of course still criminalizing aspects of pot, and most users wouldn't be happy about that.

and

B) The government would certainly just waste the money and we wouldn't even notice any net gain.

really to be honest, most don't grow now niether to cigarette smokers
It's less dangerous than beer and regulating would make it harder for teens to get. But useless narc would lose jobs as well as GED's working as jailers.

How about you take a hike junior and let the adults talk....

You are ridiculous. You can't even write legible sentences Mr MBA and you continuously call others uneducated?

reefer_madness.jpg

go shoot an unarmed granny NARC, you morons can keep fighting Cali will show where normal people are on it. 60 to 40 to legalize.

go shoot an unarmed granny NARC, you morons can keep fighting Cali will show where normal people are on it. 60 to 40 to legalize.

IMHO, It'll take more than one State to legalize it... The Federal Government will be quick to knock this one down seeing how they're so enrapt in controlling State's "rights"

1. I don't believe this.
I know to omany people in their 40's 50's 60's who still smoke it and there is NO evidence in any of them of health problems

2. I don't believe it is addictive. I know to omany people who STOPPED SMOKING IT cold turkey and NEVER had the urge to go back,,,

again
and

why do you care somuch in pot smokers?

again...I have kown to omany people who smoked (still smoke) pot and none of t hem have ever had to go to the emergency room

and
and

again
however

stats?
where-as cigarette smokers tend to smokeLOTS of cigarettes per day

is this thge same left wing harvard that you despise when they report things you don't beleve in?

again

tobacco?
alcohol?

and yet I kow MANY people who USE TO SMOKE it who one day said..."no mas!" and just stopped COLD TURKEY....

No one is asking you to believe it. Just roll another one and don't worry about it.

well
it was nice to see that you could engage in civilized debate for at least a short term....

as I said (do you suffer from short term memory loss?)
I don't smoke it much these days because I can't get so I am not actually able to roll another one and even if I had some I NEVER rolled joints...I always smoked it in small doses in pipes.

and I still maintain that freedom loving people who oppose a nanny state and do NOT want government intruding in our private lives or telling us all how to live should SUPPORT legalization of pot

some ignorant folks in this thread, on BOTH sides of the issue.

Pot IS addictive and it is a gateway drug, for SOME.

Oh, to answer the LEO question. I know first hand of pot heads attacking LEO, for a variety of reasons. No, it isn't like meth , which just makes a person lose their minds, but a pothead will act aggressively just like any other criminal if they think they are about to be arrested.

I don't give much credence to a smalll government republican who is a History major and who's only job he can get is SUCKING THE SMALL GOVERNMENT TIT.

YOU ARE PART OF THE DARK AGE PROBLEM SIMPLETON

You are not smart. There really is no other way to put it.

I didn't even voice an opinion in this thread about whether pot should be legalized yet here you are bashing me for my non stated opinion.

Can you argue the fact that pot is addictive for some? No you can't. Can you argue that for many pot was a gateway drug? No you can't. Those are both facts.

So of course you are reduced to infantile attacks.

I know you hate the military , but suggesting that those who chose that path did so either because they couldn't find a "real job" or because they wanted to suck on the government teet is just stupid. OMG you mean soldiers expect to be paid? The audacity!

In short, go away junior.

Now for the grown ups in the thread, I will post my opinion. Which by the way I have posted before. In my OPINION, it should be a state choice. No federal law either way on pot.

"Can you argue the fact that pot is addictive for some? "

I often wonder if this isn't a case of "addictive personalities!"?

SOME people are easily addicted to things....

if it isn't pot then it's alcohol
or candy
or sex

or message boards:)

I don't give much credence to a smalll government republican who is a History major and who's only job he can get is SUCKING THE SMALL GOVERNMENT TIT.

YOU ARE PART OF THE DARK AGE PROBLEM SIMPLETON

You are not smart. There really is no other way to put it.

I didn't even voice an opinion in this thread about whether pot should be legalized yet here you are bashing me for my non stated opinion.

Can you argue the fact that pot is addictive for some? No you can't. Can you argue that for many pot was a gateway drug? No you can't. Those are both facts.

So of course you are reduced to infantile attacks.

I know you hate the military , but suggesting that those who chose that path did so either because they couldn't find a "real job" or because they wanted to suck on the government teet is just stupid. OMG you mean soldiers expect to be paid? The audacity!

In short, go away junior.

Now for the grown ups in the thread, I will post my opinion. Which by the way I have posted before. In my OPINION, it should be a state choice. No federal law either way on pot.

"Can you argue the fact that pot is addictive for some? "

I often wonder if this isn't a case of "addictive personalities!"?

SOME people are easily addicted to things....

if it isn't pot then it's alcohol
or candy
or sex

or message boards:)

Oh for sure lots of things are addictive, but addiction alone isn't reason enough to outlaw something, only if it has other dangerous properties should that be considered. I am merely stating that those who say that pot absolutely isn't addictive are lying.

The one issue where State's rights can be asserted and fought for and it seems that there are more libs on the side of State's rights than cons.

Weird that.

The one issue where State's rights can be asserted and fought for and it seems that there are more libs on the side of State's rights than cons.

Weird that.

Completely false, most libs want a federal law preventing states from making pot illegal.

True story

Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

Not surprising.

Jaywalking is to blame for increased pedestrian traffic violations.

You are a stupid fuck.

Perhaps, but why not show the difference between the posit in the OP and my claim? Is there a fundamental difference to claiming that increased smoking of the evil weed is the cause of increased illegal drug use and stating that the obvious that jaywalking is to blame for increased pedestrian traffic violations?

Weird that.

What's weird? That cons have just used "State's rights" as a code for keeping the darkies down? I know few libs that support the draconian drug laws we have on the books. I know few libs that would try to fight against states having medicinal marijuana laws on the books. Perhaps it's more a principled civil rights argument that you're confusing.

Forum List

Back