Many Voices

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, it occurs to me that in the last twenty minutes everyone in my family communicated in three different languages, while I was reading in another. Everyone understood each other, and we barely noticed the transitions. The inevitable march of the future.

As a frequent international traveler I've learned that almost everyone that one interacts with overseas speaks English, at least conversationally.

Like it or not, English is the second language of the Western World. No one in Europe can call himself "educated" unless s/he can at least get by in English.

Which is not to say that language instruction has no value, but there are few experiences more frustrating than to try to speak a few words of, say Italian in Italy, and have the person you are talking to just respond in fluent English.

As a frequent international traveler I've learned that almost everyone that one interacts with overseas speaks English, at least conversationally.

Like it or not, English is the second language of the Western World. No one in Europe can call himself "educated" unless s/he can at least get by in English.

Which is not to say that language instruction has no value, but there are few experiences more frustrating than to try to speak a few words of, say Italian in Italy, and have the person you are talking to just respond in fluent English.
Your insecurity is your problem.

Maybe you should learn some more Italian.

And right at this moment, my students are taking a test of English language skills.

(1) People from other cultures really are touched if you speak their languages.

(2) I recently discovered a YouTube star called xiaoma. (I think that means "little horse" in Mandarin Chinese.)

(3) He is a brilliant New Yorker who really has an ear for languages. He goes into shops and restaurants to astonish the employees with his ability to speak in their language.

(4) If you have time, check him out on YouTube.

I have found that people really like it if you appreciate the food associated with their culture.

Forum List

Back