Man Tries to Pay Fine With Pennies, Court Says NO, Issues Warrant

[/B]

banks take money, legal tender,, yep,, but when you take rolled coins to the bank I believe they make you sign as to the accuracy of the count, if you come up short they charge you,, at least they do at my bank..

Once again, THEY TAKE THE MONEY. Keep up with the conversation please.

Regardless as to if you think the dude was a dick or not, he still did what he was supposed to, and got screwed anyway.

You must be a defense attorney to take this position, they're all looking for the side that everyone else is against.

IF you will review what I posted from the treasury you'll notice the words GOVERNMENT AGENCY in the question.

IF YOU read the LAW you posted it STATES that PRIVATE entities can stipulate, it does not give that power to Government entities, unless you left off a section.

Well your right, the dummy never should have stated that he went and purchased the pennies at the bank. He should have simply said here, this is the best I could do. They would have to accept it.

Nope, he INTENDED to pay the fine, as required by law and as listed under acceptable payment methods AT the clerks window. There is no law that prevents someone from being an asshole. That you guys think there is is sign of some serious need to learn how your government is supposed to work.

IF YOU read the LAW you posted it STATES that PRIVATE entities can stipulate, it does not give that power to Government entities, unless you left off a section.
It does say a private business, a person or an organization...a government is an organization, no? What he posted isn't exactly clear on the matter.

of course I read the law, I took the time to dig it up. Now, why would the treasury add GOVERNMENT to the question if the answer were not, in some way, applicable?

do you have your own source to provide as evidence besides adding an interpretation to the one I offered?

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

this is what I posted.

of course I read the law, I took the time to dig it up. Now, why would the treasury add GOVERNMENT to the question if the answer were not, in some way, applicable?

do you have your own source to provide as evidence besides adding an interpretation to the one I offered?

I have YOUR law. PLEASE provide the quote FROM the law that states Government Agencies can refuse legal Tender. YOU posted it, YOU read it. Go ahead provide the SPECIFIC quote that lists Government Agencies as being allowed to refuse legal Tender.

States CAN pass laws that certain types of payments are required at certain places. IN THIS particular case it is LISTED on the hand bill at the clerks window that they ACCEPT legal Tender.

It is not rocket science here Shogun. The question is unimportant, the LAW is what matters.

It does say a private business, a person or an organization...a government is an organization, no? What he posted isn't exactly clear on the matter.

In order for the Government to be excluded it MUST state so in the law. The Government is not legally considered an "organization".

You are being an idiot. If a Judge tried to force me to do something not required by law I would hire an attorney and fight the Judge. They are not God, nor do they have special exceptional powers.

go ahead, hire an attorney. it's your money, waste it at your pleasure.

Ah well, six of one / half dozen of another. It makes for good entertaining reading and I enjoy the fact that they guy did it. If nothing else just to get under a government employee's ass a bit.

Ah, so if they had posted a sign saying they don't accept pennies as payment, they would have been okay.

Jeesh, you people could argue all day about the best way to clip toenails.

:lol:

I have YOUR law. PLEASE provide the quote FROM the law that states Government Agencies can refuse legal Tender. YOU posted it, YOU read it. Go ahead provide the SPECIFIC quote that lists Government Agencies as being allowed to refuse legal Tender.

States CAN pass laws that certain types of payments are required at certain places. IN THIS particular case it is LISTED on the hand bill at the clerks window that they ACCEPT legal Tender.

It is not rocket science here Shogun. The question is unimportant, the LAW is what matters.

Read the quote like everyone else. Follow the link if the urge to offer this thread more than your interpretation hits you. No, what is unimportant is another opinion that is but a drop in a bucket full of water. So, again, post your own evidence.

In order for the Government to be excluded it MUST state so in the law. The Government is not legally considered an "organization".

por que? what the hell ELSE is a government other than an organization?

I am a lawyer. And if I were the judge I wouldn't allow it either.

Have you ever worked in a courthouse? Or had to stand behind someone who pulled a bonehead move like that?

I understand what you're saying about it being legal tender, but the guy was trying to make a point by doing it in pennies.

All he has to do is get his butt back to the bank where he got the pennies in the first place. Real simple.
It sounds like an idiotic and puerile personal issue.

Damn, dude, that's harsh. :eek:

I still think the guy is a d**k and should have his butt kicked.

But, I will reconsider my position. I actually just got done talking to someone about this who used to be a traffic court judge and she said she'd have taken the pennies. That even though the guy is a d**k, U.S. currency is U.S. currency.
See? A personal issue.

Forum List

Back