Man Tries to Pay Fine With Pennies, Court Says NO, Issues Warrant

And what's he protesting? The fact that he got himself a ticket?
Jillian if the man felt unjustly treated he has every right to make a peaceful protest. if you take away peaceful ways of protest from people you take away the very core of what the system is built upon.

I have personally been arrested on bogus charges from an out of control judge. I know how the guy feels. It was a few years later after I was falsely arrested this judge was voted off the bench because he abused his power with many.

Is an arrest warrant that easy to make? Ask yourself. Is this the kind of justice system you want? I know it is not the kind I want.

I do not want a judge that ignorant representing law and justice where I live.

Just as I stood up and told my story for another man who was charged with being the wrong religion and a judge took away his children. The man asked for my help in getting that ass off the bench. It must have been the people agreed because they voted him off the bench. It was a first in the history of that state.

And last time I checked, no judge was going to allow some disgruntled person to force some poor state worker to sit there counting pennies so he can be as obnoxious as humanly possible. And, if you look at the article, the jerk went to the bank and ASKED for 112 rolls of pennies. If I were the judge, I'd kick his butt, too.

Just sayin'

good thing you're not the judge then. this guy is well within his rights to pay his fine in pennies if he so chooses.

the "judge" should be ashamed of himself as should anyone who agrees with him.

I am a lawyer. And if I were the judge I wouldn't allow it either.

Have you ever worked in a courthouse? Or had to stand behind someone who pulled a bonehead move like that?

I understand what you're saying about it being legal tender, but the guy was trying to make a point by doing it in pennies.

All he has to do is get his butt back to the bank where he got the pennies in the first place. Real simple.

By that argument you are wrong on two fronts first you are wrong because pennies are legal tender of the United States. Until Congress passes a law and removes pennies from circulation, they must be accepted by all parties in the United States for satisfaction of debts and payments.

Second, you are wrong because it is a violation of his free speech rights. As you say, he was making "a point." So clearly, his actions were "sufficiently imbued with speech" so as to make his message understood. Ergo, protected speech.

The judge was just being an overbearing public official unworthy of the name judge and lacking in judicial temperament.

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

U.S. Treasury - FAQs: Legal Tender Status of currency

good thing you're not the judge then. this guy is well within his rights to pay his fine in pennies if he so chooses.

the "judge" should be ashamed of himself as should anyone who agrees with him.

Damn, dude, that's harsh. :eek:

I still think the guy is a d**k and should have his butt kicked.

But, I will reconsider my position. I actually just got done talking to someone about this who used to be a traffic court judge and she said she'd have taken the pennies. That even though the guy is a d**k, U.S. currency is U.S. currency.

gee... such intelligent and persuasive rhetoric.

Up to your usual standard, though, so it's cool. :cuckoo:

Your posts are pure idiocy. It's difficult to tell if you're being serious or if you're just a troll. But I didn't know you were a lawyer. That explains everything. :cuckoo:

Please define what is a Libtard?

libtard
(Lib-Tard) 1) Combination of the words Liberal and retard (see also: Libterd, libturd, libnerd, libsurd, libdiot, libored) 2) The result when a tree hugger successfully mates with a tree and the offspring is born with an extra chromosome. 3) Any helpless society that must always be liberated by the blood and sweat of others yet are too arrogant and stupid to realize that they owe their entire existance to others.

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

U.S. Treasury - FAQs: Legal Tender Status of currency

Right, so as a public entity, they were obliged to take it.

libtard
(Lib-Tard) 1) Combination of the words Liberal and retard (see also: Libterd, libturd, libnerd, libsurd, libdiot, libored) 2) The result when a tree hugger successfully mates with a tree and the offspring is born with an extra chromosome. 3) Any helpless society that must always be liberated by the blood and sweat of others yet are too arrogant and stupid to realize that they owe their entire existance to others.

Much as Mill wrote:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill

Right, so as a public entity, they were obliged to take it.

hey, I was just looking for legal validation besides the hip-shot rhetoric so far in this thread. If you can offer as much without confusing opinion with legality then groovy.

Hell YES they were obligated to take it. They have to take it. LOL

Drop the pennies, wish them Merry Christmas and go home.

hahaha I love sarcastic idiots who aren't afraid to back it up.

Idiotic.

Currency is Currency.

Please point to me the law that a citizen needs to pay fines in dollars. It just needs to be paid. The judge has no right to tell someone how they should pay it, just that they need to pay it.

The guy should go back with nickels

Pennies is a form of currency used in this country.

why do i see andrew paying for sexual favors with coin?

Heck enjoy this for what it is, some smartass is going to get the last word with a public office.

Enjoy it!

hey, I was just looking for legal validation besides the hip-shot rhetoric so far in this thread. If you can offer as much without confusing opinion with legality then groovy.

I give you credit, you went out and looked it up. I read what you posted, pushed through the legalese bullshit and distilled the answer.

This was a court. A court is part of the government. Therefore, a public entity. The exceptions in your post we all about how various private entities were allowed to set up their own restrictions on how they would accept payment for goods and services sold.

Since this story had to do with a public entity and nothing you posted carved out an exception for public entities, therefore none exist (if what you posted was the totality of the law relating to the legal tender issue).

The drafting maxim is Expressio unius est exclusio alterius The expression of one (or a series of things) logically excludes all others. In other words, they knew how to cite the exclusions they list, therefore if they had intended to exclude public entities, they would have put it in there. Since they didn't, then no exclusion from accepting legal tender.

Forum List

Back