Man hides lotto winnings from exes for 1 yr

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Would you share with your ex? I suppose it depends on why they are an ex in the first place. He does have kids who could use money, I hope he pays up for their sake.

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...874&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Apr. 4, 2004. 08:26 AM

Where is the $30-million man? Sister hopes he's having `good time' Ex-wives review their situation

PETER SMALL
STAFF REPORTER

Cautious, secretive and gone.

The computer repairman who waited a year to claim his $30 million Lotto Super 7 jackpot, forgoingat least $600,000 in interest, is believed out of the country and incommunicado after picking up his cheque on Thursday.

Even his sister says she doesn't know his whereabouts. "I don't really want to know," Annette Sobeski said yesterday. "But I hope he's having a good time."

Raymond Sobeski, of Princeton, west of Brantford, Ont., has left behind a string of questions, two ex-wives and a woman who says she is still married to him.

At least one of his former wives, Sherry Sobeski, and the mother of his two children, Nikolas and Tekina, is considering her options in light of his winnings, a representative said.

"She just wants to make sure the kids at this point are looked after," said Bobcaygeon paralegal Paula Markus, adding that she will meet Sherry this week to discuss her position.

Sobeski told his ex about his good fortune before it hit the news, Markus said. His lawyer sentSherry word in a letter and she was "blown away" by the development, Markus said, adding it's been "pretty hard to handle."

The former Mrs. Sobeski cleans houses for a living in the Bobcaygeon area, north of Peterborough,and struggled to raise the children on her own, Markus said. They are "the politest, nicest kids," she added.

Raymond Sobeski, a self-effacing farm boy now in his mid-40s, grew up in rolling country west of Brantford. The family farm in the rural community of Harley is set amidst decaying tobacco sheds
and ginseng fields.

Sobeski went to Burford District High School, where he was a good student, later excelling in computers at Mohawk College in Hamilton. He was an all-round athlete, a regular golfer, and he raced motocross and played basketball in high school.

He later married his high school sweetheart, Wendy Reid, but they divorced after a few years, according to a neighbour.

He then married Sherry, another Burford High alumnus. They built a home on the Sobeski family ginseng farm, quickly having a boy and a girl.

He was devastated by their breakup, said his sister. "He's a great father, very close to his kids, and the stuff about being behind on child support is bull."

Sobeski told the Lotto Super 7 news conference he had no "significant other" in his life. But a third woman, Nynna Ionson, has said they were married in 1998 and have not divorced.

An owner of Burford Golf Links, who didn't want to be named, said Sobeski loves the links and goes to Myrtle Beach, S.C., for vacations.

"Who knows, maybe that's where he's gone now," she said.

With files from Ted Andkilde and Paul Legall of the Hamilton Specta

"she wants to make sure the KIDS are looked after"

What a crock of horseshit...women only love two things...having money, and getting money.

precedent has already been set in matters pertaining to lottery winnings. The lottery was won before any divorce was final so the second 'ex' will be entitled to half. The first ex will eventually get her back child support simply because of state laws.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
precedent has already been set in matters pertaining to lottery winnings. The lottery was won before any divorce was final so the second 'ex' will be entitled to half. The first ex will eventually get her back child support simply because of state laws.

I don't know if the ex #2 will be entitled to half or not, Ontario laws may be different from other provinces. I could see this happening though.

As for the mother of his children, why wouldn't she want her children to have a better life. 30 million is a lot of money, why be such a sneak about the whole matter. I'd give my ex some money, even though he doesn't deserve the steam off a warm pile of dog SHIT.

Originally posted by Said1

As for the mother of his children, why wouldn't she want her children to have a better life. 30 million is a lot of money, why be such a sneak about the whole matter.

The reason is because the money would 'not' go 'to the kids'...Mom gets a Bimmer...5,000 sq ft beach-front house, and eventually complains that the $10,000/month in child support isn't ENOUGH.

Child support payments are out of control - at least in the USA. Right now if my wife were to leave w/ the kids, I'd pay her something like $2000 a month. By definition, 'child support' should go 'towards supporting the costs associated with having a child'.

Here's how her bills would be, with two kids, compared to if she were alone.

Rent: 1BR appt, $750. 3BR appt: $1100 - increase of $450
Food: Alone, $200/month. Kids, $450/month - increase of $250
Clothes: For kids: $50/month
Toys: $10 month
Extra utility costs: $50

$450 + $250 + $50 +$10 + $50 = $810.

So - that leaves her $1190 a month to blow on whatever she wants. Child support is NOT designed to be 'ex-wife support', but that is EXACTLY what it becomes.

Originally posted by dmp
The reason is because the money would 'not' go 'to the kids'...Mom gets a Bimmer...5,000 sq ft beach-front house, and eventually complains that the $10,000/month in child support isn't ENOUGH.

Child support payments are out of control - at least in the USA. Right now if my wife were to leave w/ the kids, I'd pay her something like $2000 a month. By definition, 'child support' should go 'towards supporting the costs associated with having a child'.

Here's how her bills would be, with two kids, compared to if she were alone.

Rent: 1BR appt, $750. 3BR appt: $1100 - increase of $450
Food: Alone, $200/month. Kids, $450/month - increase of $250
Clothes: For kids: $50/month
Toys: $10 month
Extra utility costs: $50

$450 + $250 + $50 +$10 + $50 = $810.

So - that leaves her $1190 a month to blow on whatever she wants. Child support is NOT designed to be 'ex-wife support', but that is EXACTLY what it becomes.

I'm a single parent, my bills run around $1200 and I make $2200. THis does not include tuition costs for myself and any extras like medicine if my daughter gets sick. I know there are cases where the payments are out of this world, but I don't know of any off hand - as in there is not one single mother I know getting rich quick. That is not to say that there aren't some constantly siffing around for more either. As for myself, I get $0.00 (it's a very long story - can't get blood from a stone right?). I stand by what I said, 30 million is a lot of money, who are you to say she WON"T spend her money on her kids....good grief, wouldn't you want to make sure you kids had some sort of future????

Originally posted by Said1
I'm a single parent, my bills run around $1200 and I make $2200. THis does not include tuition costs for myself and any extras like medicine if my daughter gets sick. I know there are cases where the payments are out of this world, but I don't know of any off hand - as in there is not one single mother I know getting rich quick. That is not to say that there aren't some constantly siffing around for more either.

Why should an ex-husband be worried about tuition? I mean that not to sound 'mean' - but that's something which doesn't. Medicines and sickness should be handled on a 'case-by-case basis', in my mind. It sucks you aren't getting 'any' help - That's not right either.

If my wife and I ever split, i'd do what it takes to have at least HALF custody... (sigh)...in THIS state, however, the father/husband's rights are NOT even considered - it's all about "Screw the MALE...Give the woman whatever she wants".

:)

Originally posted by dmp
Why should an ex-husband be worried about tuition? I mean that not to sound 'mean' - but that's something which doesn't. Medicines and sickness should be handled on a 'case-by-case basis', in my mind. It sucks you aren't getting 'any' help - That's not right either.

If my wife and I ever split, i'd do what it takes to have at least HALF custody... (sigh)...in THIS state, however, the father/husband's rights are NOT even considered - it's all about "Screw the MALE...Give the woman whatever she wants".
:)

No, he shouldn't worry about my education, but contributing a little to other things that should concern him would take a tiny bit of financial pressure off me. I also shouldn't need to call him if my daughter is sick, and I don't, but an extra $50 a month would help a lot.

I understand the point you are making, and in those situations, I agree with you. Some women are out for themselves, some are not. You should also consider situations where the wife doesn't leave, wants to work things out, and is left high and dry. That's not fair, and it's not right. I think your comments just hit a nerve, causing a big rant - I'm really a fairly level headed person.......seriously :D Although I still say 30 million is a lot of money to be hoarding :p:

Man calls his wife at home and says, "Pack your bags baby, I just won the lottery!"
Wife says," Hot damn! Do you want me to pack for warm weather or cold?"
Man says," I don't care-just be gone when I get there!"

Forum List

Back