Man Arrested in Own Home for Indecent Exposure

They had a live remote interview with this guy coming from inside his house, and his kitchen/dining area has huge expanses of glass doors and windows that span ceiling to floor. If his curtains were open (which they obviously were) and anyone walked by in the early morning hours when it was dark outside, and the guy was in the kitchen with his lights on, there would be no way to avoid seeing him. The lady wasn't "looking in his windows."

In the remote spot, the man had his long hair pulled back into a ponytail, but they also ran several other photos of him throughout the TV spot, and he is one scary looking dude when his hair is not in a ponytail.

He should have pulled his curtains. He could be easily seen from a lot farther than the sidewalk. Plus that, he sounded like a lying weasel.

It doesn't matter if his entire house was made of windows.
That lady is a freak.
Why the hell is everyone so freaking prude?
You should be free in your own home.
To wear as much clothes or as little as you want.

he should bring charges on on her for being a window peeper.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about the concept. Walk around in the buff all you want, just spare your neighbors and their kids, pull the shades.

There are lots of predators out there, don't give anyone reason to believe you may be one.

My desk is right at the front window at my home. I sit there because I enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, people walk by all the time and just glance in. Does that make them a window peeper? Of course not.

I think the guy will be fined because there was a child who noticed him, he'll either cover up or close the drapes next time. As it should be. That's what I think. :lol:

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about the concept. Walk around in the buff all you want, just spare your neighbors and their kids, pull the shades.

There are lots of predators out there, don't give anyone reason to believe you may be one.

My desk is right at the front window at my home. I sit there because I enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, people walk by all the time and just glance in. Does that make them a window peeper? Of course not.

I think the guy will be fined because there was a child who noticed him, he'll either cover up or close the drapes next time. As it should be. That's what I think. :lol:

While I agree that you should use discretion, your contention that there are "a lot of predators" is wrong to. Just because you see a "lot" of stories about them in the news doesn't mean there are that many, you still have a better chance of getting hit by lightening.

There was a case in England a few years ago where a bloke would regularly stand naked in his window with the curtains behind him exposing his bits and pieces to all and sundry walking past. He was convicted.

This case, well I've not read anything other than what's been discussed here but I don't think he should have been pinched. In the above case the perv was acting intentionally. In English law - as lawbuff has remarked - mens rea comes in three broad flavours - deliberate (specific) intention, recklessness and negligence.

If the bloke in Va had been wandering around early morning aware he was naked (don't laugh, there's a defence in there somewhere) but not aware - and not reckless (that is he should have forseen the result of his actions if he were acting a in a reasonable and prudent manner) - that someone outside his house could see his naked state then, given the wording of the statute, he shouldn't be convicted. I haven't got recourse to the Va statutes either (site is down for backup) but the distinction between intention, recklessness and negligence is embedded in English law and hence common law jurisdictions.

My bet, no prosecution and red faced cops in a bit of strife.

But then you Americans have weird laws so I could be wrong :D

While I agree that you should use discretion, your contention that there are "a lot of predators" is wrong to. Just because you see a "lot" of stories about them in the news doesn't mean there are that many, you still have a better chance of getting hit by lightening.

I don't think I'm wrong. People look up their neighborhoods in a national sex offender registry and are consistantly amazed at the numbers in their own neighborhood.

Some cases are totally trumped up charges but some are very real. I'm wondering if I would have reported him. We don't know anything else about him except that he was nude in front of a window, he could be doing this on a daily basis and she's just had enough. We'll see how this plays out.

I'd have to look it up but that is what WTOP reported in the story when they interviewed an attorney (not his). Remember this is Virginia, not Texas.

§ 18.2-387. Indecent exposure.

Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-236; 1960, c. 233; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1994, c. 398.)

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-387
there ya go
bringing the actual law into the topic :lol:

in the south...i know yall love when i start with them words...men still urinate outside....they do turn their backs...or go beyond the car....but if i called the police on every man i saw urinating....it would be a full time job...my neighbors son urinates in the yard...taught by his father.....the female of the house...came over and told me she was sorry and hoped i wasnt offended....as my hubby drove up ..got out of the car and urinated in the yard....:eusa_wall:

We have a barbecue here (you would know it as a "cookout" I think) and usually it's at someone's house and they may have one, two or three toilets (is that a bad word or should I say "bathroom"?). Usually the blokes, if they're half reasonable, will go down the back and piss on the fence and leave the wc for the women.

See, we do have chivalry - of a sort :D

same here...esp if there is a water shortage or such

but now if the po po catch ya....they will arrest you for indecent exposure lol...

i dont know we go naked but live on our own property ...i has never occurred to me that someone can see in...which is only a problem when the leaves fall off the trees

same here...esp if there is a water shortage or such

but now if the po po catch ya....they will arrest you for indecent exposure lol...

i dont know we go naked but live on our own property ...i has never occurred to me that someone can see in...which is only a problem when the leaves fall off the trees

Well if some perv falls out of the tree you have a good defence against indecent exposure :D

Ignorance is no excuse. You just can't walk around like that without the drapes drawn. He could have thrown some boxers on.

Americans are afraid of their own sexuality. OMG, it's a naked man. Cover your eyes or you might see something you've never seen before, lmao. And please don't take that to mean that we should all be running in the streets naked. Just saying, this ain't no big deal, or at least it shouldn't be.

:lol: Believe me, it has nothing to do with sexuality or what I have or haven't seen before. These days, predators are everywhere and a woman with her seven year old isn't really interested in seeing him naked. He forced them to though. He should be fined maybe that will encourage him to put his shorts on or close the drapes.

The way I read the story was the woman was cutting through tis guy's yard. She and her kid should be thrown in jail for trespassing and peeping.

typical thoughts of a woman, if a man see a naked woman does he whine about it.

While I agree with you in point, I have not seen any news reports of this and I don't know how the home was situated. I believe I read in this thread that the woman was cutting through the yard, which says to me that she was trespassing. If his kitchen could be seen from the front yard, I'd have to say that he should be fined. If his kitchen faces his own backyard or side yard and neighbors didn't have windows facing him, I don't think I would agree with him being charged.

And heck, I feel like I must be extremely self conscious, because whenever I am naked at home, I am worried that someone might see through the cracks in the vertical blinds. :D

Immie

While I agree with you in point, I have not seen any news reports of this and I don't know how the home was situated. I believe I read in this thread that the woman was cutting through the yard, which says to me that she was trespassing. If his kitchen could be seen from the front yard, I'd have to say that he should be fined. If his kitchen faces his own backyard or side yard and neighbors didn't have windows facing him, I don't think I would agree with him being charged.

And heck, I feel like I must be extremely self conscious, because whenever I am naked at home, I am worried that someone might see through the cracks in the vertical blinds. :D

Immie

He said:

Video: Man arrested for making coffee naked - UPI.com

She said:

The naked truth? Woman's account exposes different story - wtop.com

I understand the fear that police could come into your home and arrest you for something, anything but this raises some questions about how free you can really get without offending your neighbors.

They can tell you how high your grass can be or to get trash out of your yard.. I would think having a flasher in the neighborhood might lower property values as well.

We'll have to see how it turns out.

I'd have to look it up but that is what WTOP reported in the story when they interviewed an attorney (not his). Remember this is Virginia, not Texas.

§ 18.2-387. Indecent exposure.

Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-236; 1960, c. 233; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1994, c. 398.)

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-387
there ya go
bringing the actual law into the topic :lol:

That brings into play the thing we don't know. Was his actions action intentionally offensive or obscene, and what is considered obscene at all. We don't have enough information at this point to answer eother question regarding this case.

Also, this law could mean that anyone who "flips the bird" at you can be arrested, and charged with a misdemeanor. That is an intentional act of obscenity. Just sayin' .

Last edited:

typical thoughts of a woman, if a man see a naked woman does he whine about it.

He hangs around perving at his own peril. If she sees him having a gander through the window and calls the cops then his arse is off to the slammer.

Best to walk away after he sees her naked in her house. Of course he should then walk right back again and take another look as he goes slowly past. And back yet again for another look.

If he hears sirens he needs to beat it.

So to speak.

Forum List

Back