Majority of Millionaires Support Warren Buffet's Tax on the Rich

The "they should write a check" argument is childish. Using that logic, anyone who is against abortion should have to adopt an unwanted child. Anyone who supports war should have to fight it and on and on.

Here's an analogy for the "they can write a check" folks:

Two people go to a restaurant for dinner. They both order the same thing. When the server brings the check, it comes to $100 ($50 each). One guy says it was the best meal ever, easily worth $50. The other guy agrees but doesn't think it was worth $50. Should the guy that thinks it wasn't overpriced have to pick up the difference for the guy that did?

No, but he should pay what he said he thinks he should pay.

The problem is, if you order from a resturant, you agreed to a price before you got the food. We never agreed to most of what government does to waste our money.

Most of what government does does not waste our money. Yes, there is some waste in government, but government itself is not a waste of money.

The "they should write a check" argument is childish. Using that logic, anyone who is against abortion should have to adopt an unwanted child. Anyone who supports war should have to fight it and on and on.

Here's an analogy for the "they can write a check" folks:

Two people go to a restaurant for dinner. They both order the same thing. When the server brings the check, it comes to $100 ($50 each). One guy says it was the best meal ever, easily worth $50. The other guy agrees but doesn't think it was worth $50. Should the guy that thinks it wasn't overpriced have to pick up the difference for the guy that did?

No, but he should pay what he said he thinks he should pay.

The problem is, if you order from a resturant, you agreed to a price before you got the food. We never agreed to most of what government does to waste our money.

Most of what government does does not waste our money. Yes, there is some waste in government, but government itself is not a waste of money.

I agree. Lots of waste, fraud and abuse. Why not FIX those things? Why must the answer be to destroy them completely?

Yep. The Govt has to quite spending like money grows on a tree.

And seriously if revenue is their game then the middle class is the place to go. Sure you can tax the rich but there aren't enough of them to make a difference. Middle class, loaded.

IMO this is nothing more than a class warfare ploy. Tax the Rich even when taxinig the rich doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the revenue dept.

As for those millionaires who say they arent' taxed enough, let em write a check to the IRS. The Govt will take their money no questions asked.

Without a doubt, taxes must be raised on the middle class also. It's not just about the rich. But most of you will argue that we should cut taxes on the rich even more than we have, because if we don't, they won't provide us with any jobs. I guess if you say it enough times, you figure we'll all start believing it sooner or later, even when the evidence suggests just the opposite.

I agree. If your going to raise taxes then raise taxes on everybody not just one group.

I'm not in favor of tax cuts either. They also need to plug all the tax loopholes and get rid of some of the tax credits and subsidies.

Spending is the Biggest problem in my book though. Govt needs to cut spending and waste big time. We are broke and they just keep spending like theres a bottomless supply of it.

Shit. If I handled my money the way the Clowns in DC handle the taxpayers money I'd have been in the poor house long ago.

No doubt we are spending more than we should be. However, when we look at what we are spending, we see that defense spending has increased dramatically. We have also spent a great deal trying to work our way out of this recession. We are also spending much more just servicing the debt as it continues to increase. And last of all, the cost for entitlement programs is increasing substantially. There is a lot of room for making cuts, but at the same time, what do we really want to cut?

I'm all for cutting military spending, and I would even support cuts in SS and Medicare if it involved raising the retirement age. But that is long term, not immediate. I do not support any immediate cuts to those programs. Now when we look at revenue versus spending, we are coming up short by over $1 trillion per year. We basically have three options. One is to cut more than $1 trillion per year in spending. Good luck with that. Second option is to increase revenue by more than $1 trillion per year. Again, good luck with that. Last option is to cut spending by $500 billion or so, and raise revenue by $500 billion or so. Odds of that happening are still slim because we have a bunch of idiots working for us in Washington, but that is the most viable plan there is.

There is no reason for us to spend as much on military as the rest of the world combined. We could achieve a substancial savings in Medicare and Mediaid by fixing our dysfunctional health system.

As a middle class taxpayer, I would not cry at having to pay what I was paying prior to the Bush tax cuts. I fail to see why those at the top of the ladder should cry about a similiar increase.

Yes, there are areas of neccessary increases in spending out there. Education, we are falling severly behind the Asian nations in the number of scientists and engineers we graduate yearly. Infrastructure, our grids are over 50 years old, and not connected, as they should be, into a single national grid. Vulneble both to natural and hostile disasters. Our Interstate system is crumbling, as is the systems that supply water to our urban areas. There have to be addressed, if we are to maintain a first world nation.

No easy answers, and pain for everyone. Unfortunetly, the only plans out there are plans that increase the pain for the middle class and working poor, while decreasing it for the wealthy. Not viable, and a major peice of idiocy for the advocates of those plans.

You know what, I've worked in the private and public sectors...

Yes, the government has all sorts of waste that the public sector would never tolerate.

My adventures as a census enumrator. talk about a make-work job. I only did it part time, and I was more productive than the people who were doing 40 hours a week...

Forum List

Back