MacBook External HD

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I need to transfer my MacBook data on my 2013 to my new MacBook and need to get an external HD, as the good folks at the Apple store told me this is the best way. Any suggestions on particular HD's?

If you only need a TB or so of space, a USB C portable drive (less than $100) would be you best bet.

If you only need a TB or so of space, a USB C portable drive (less than $100) would be you best bet.
I don't need any extra space, I have 512 GB on my new computer, I want to transfer files from my MacBook onto an external HD and then x-fer that onto new Mac.

I don't need any extra space, I have 512 GB on my new computer, I want to transfer files from my MacBook onto an external HD and then x-fer that onto new Mac.

These days, you might have a hard time finding a portable disk LESS than 1TB. 2TB seems to be the most common ones available.

You can buy a SSD / USB drive at 512GB or lower, but you would spend more than for the larger drive and for file transfers you don't need the speed.

You can always use the larger drive later to backup your MacBook on a regular basis, or store files that you wouldn't want to keep on your laptop, in case it falls into the wrong hands.

Why don't you just do it directly?
They just want to sell you something.
Just put the new mac on the network...share the drive, and transfer the files.

Forum List

Back