'Lynch View' elementary school must change it's name

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Forget the fact that the land to build the school was donated by the 'Lynch' family, let's not let the facts get in the way, let's just make damn sure someone doesn't have their wittle feelings hurt.
Just when you thought the PC movement couldn't get more insane.

23107905-mmmain by Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications

The national movement to change racially offensive names of buildings, sports teams and landmarks will soon touch a group of schools in southeast Portland. Lynch Meadows, Lynch Wood and Lynch View elementary schools will shed their "Lynch" before the upcoming school year in response to growing concern about the word's racial connotations.

The schools, part of the Centennial School District, were named for the Lynch family, which donated land over a century ago to build the first of the schools. But Centennial Superintendent Paul Coakley says many newer families coming into the district associate the name with America's violent racial history.

The upcoming change is a new step in a movement that, in Oregon, has focused primarily on names insensitive to Native Americans. Several geographic landmarks whose names included the term 'squaw', now considered a slur against Native American women, [URL='http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/tribes_panel_work_to_remove_sq.html']have been renamed in recent years
. And in 2015, the Oregon Board of Education backed advocates in a controversial move that pushed 14 Oregon high schools to change their Native American-themed mascots.

Now that movement, most prominent on college campuses, with professional sports teams and among state geography boards, has reached the elementary school level.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2017/07/lynch_elementary_schools_will.html[/SIZE][/url]

It took my awhile to MAKE THE CONNECTION. I was about to ask "why"?----
but then "IT" hit me like a thunderbolt--------OOOHHHHHH!!! lynch-------- as in
NECKTIE PARTY..................
for fun----lets think up more 'loaded' titles that HAVE TO GO....

Hopfully this will help make the blacks behave better

In most cases, elementary schools are named after total assholes; this might be a case where they're taking a name away from one of the actual good guys. :lmao:

Oregon slips further into the abyss

sassy-----just for YOU......... the word POTATO will have to GO. ------it has EMOTIOAL
IMPLICATIONS -------and the color and fruit named ORANGE

There's a 'Potato Hill' near where I live. This could be very offensive to Americans with Irish heritage. Probably better change the name.

Nah, we are Irish are not a bunch of snowflakes

Exactly, and even if we did complain, the left would just laugh.

Forget the fact that the land to build the school was donated by the 'Lynch' family, let's not let the facts get in the way, let's just make damn sure someone doesn't have their wittle feelings hurt.

23107905-mmmain by Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications

The national movement to change racially offensive names of buildings, sports teams and landmarks will soon touch a group of schools in southeast Portland. Lynch Meadows, Lynch Wood and Lynch View elementary schools will shed their "Lynch" before the upcoming school year in response to growing concern about the word's racial connotations.

The schools, part of the Centennial School District, were named for the Lynch family, which donated land over a century ago to build the first of the schools. But Centennial Superintendent Paul Coakley says many newer families coming into the district associate the name with America's violent racial history.

The upcoming change is a new step in a movement that, in Oregon, has focused primarily on names insensitive to Native Americans. Several geographic landmarks whose names included the term 'squaw', now considered a slur against Native American women, have been renamed in recent years. And in 2015, the Oregon Board of Education backed advocates in a controversial move that pushed 14 Oregon high schools to change their Native American-themed mascots.

Now that movement, most prominent on college campuses, with professional sports teams and among state geography boards, has reached the elementary school level.

Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications[/SIZE]

Dear, God! I suppose Loretta Lynch should change her name too? She's a black woman; how ever could she go through life with that last name?

I realize the quote I've inserted above comes from a news organization that attributed the name change to the "national movement to change racially offensive names of buildings, sports teams and landmarks." I sure hope that's an inaccurate representation of why the jurisdiction feels obliged to change the name. It's not so much that I object to the sentiment of dispensing with offensive references. It's that the school name is no such reference. It's a name, not an instruction to act.

The upcoming change is a new step in a movement that, in Oregon, has focused primarily on names insensitive to Native Americans. Several geographic landmarks whose names included the term 'squaw', now considered a slur against Native American women, have been renamed in recent years. And in 2015, the Oregon Board of Education backed advocates in a controversial move that pushed 14 Oregon high schools to change their Native American-themed mascots.

Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications[/SIZE]

Dear, God! I suppose Loretta Lynch should change her name too? She's a black woman; how ever could she go through life with that last name?

I realize the quote I've inserted above comes from a news organization that attributed the name change to the "national movement to change racially offensive names of buildings, sports teams and landmarks." I sure hope that's an inaccurate representation of why the jurisdiction feels obliged to change the name. It's not so much that I object to the sentiment of dispensing with offensive references. It's that the school name is no such reference. It's a name, not an instruction to act.

Marshawn Lynch also should change his name, black NFL fans must freak out when they see his name.

sassy-----just for YOU......... the word POTATO will have to GO. ------it has EMOTIOAL

There's a 'Potato Hill' near where I live. This could be very offensive to Americans with Irish heritage. Probably better change the name.

Actually as an American of 1/2 Irish descent, it makes me want to ask "what kind of potato?"

Actually as an American of 1/2 Irish descent, it makes me want to ask "what kind of potato?"

sheeeesh. I was a biology major------and I CANNOT ANSWER THAT QUESTION.
What means 1/2 irish-------is there another "half" ?

sheeeesh. I was a biology major------and I CANNOT ANSWER THAT QUESTION.
What means 1/2 irish-------is there another "half" ?

yes, Eye-talian American.

Who cares what the name of a school is? To me, what matters most is the kids and teachers who make up the facility in the first place!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The name could be worse any ways. The name of the junior high that I went to was Turkey Foot middle school.

Who cares what the name of a school is? To me, what matters most is the kids and teachers who make up the facility in the first place!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The name could be worse any ways. The name of the junior high that I went to was Turkey Foot middle school.

Todays liberals are the ones who cannot sit by and let this name remain. Who cares that it's a noun and not a verb, all that matters is that they are shaking in their sandals that someone of color might be dumb enough to get offended.

Forum List

Back