Lower taxes boost economic growth

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by M14 Shooter, Apr 7, 2008.

1. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Hmm. Where have I heard that before?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7333749.stm

2. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    What is the frame of reference? What is a high tax government? What is a low tax government? Does it take into account levels of debt? Are we talking about only fully developed countries, or are we also comparing low tax Botswana versus high tax Venezuela versus high tax France? Are we talking about corporate taxes? Income taxes? VAT? All taxes in any form? How are public services measured? Quality? Level of expenditure? Does the study control for different regulatory mechanisms?

Just a couple of questions off the top of my head.

Also, since we are talking about a World Bank/IMF study, is the focus on (or does it take into account) countries under structural adjustment?

3. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Did you read the article?
    I'm sure that if you want more info, you can look it up.

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,884
    I read it. It was very vague. Probably purposely vague.

5. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    One other question - does the study include countries that have high nationally-owned natural resource wealth? For instance, over half of Botswana's government's total revenues derive from profits on diamond mines which it owns. As a result, it has a level of government expenditure comparable to Norway, but which is obtained without meaningful taxation. I can imagine the same is true for lots of resource rich countries (e.g., Nigeria, Venezuela, Saudia Arabia, Iran, Angola, etc). Are they included in the study?

6. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I read the article, but it didn't provide any useful information. Without the more detailed information contained in the study, the article is meaningless. You posted it so I was hoping you had looked at the study itself. I don't have the time to read it.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Le me rephrase it for ya, Reilly. Representative Republics that tax the Hell out of its citzens while fattening up the government makes the middle class go "bye-bye."

That would be us, us and us. Doesn't really matter a damn what or who it compares to.

8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,249
    Of course it matters because you need terms of reference. And taxing the hell out of citizens is relative...;I)

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It isn't relative ... it's factual. I'm a US citizen and it is the US government with its sticky fingers in my wallet, so I speak relative to THAT and THEM. If you or some Chinaman pays more, feel free to move or bitch about it.

But let's be honest. If there is a conservative belief in you somewhere, I'm quite sure it isn't in having qualms with wealth redistribution, taking from those who excel and earn it and giving it to prop up those who won't or don't.

I'm also sure you don't give a damn about the fat, bloated pig that is the US government and its committees that investigate committees that investigate committees -- or steroids in MLB -- that is funded out of my pocket. This nation used to function just fine on a government half that size. That of course was when the Fed wasn't micromanaging the states and usurping their authority.

So let's just speak relative to the fact that I work roughly 10 hours of a 40 hour week for free. That's an entire work week per month just being removed from my wallet. That's 12 weeks a year -- 3 months -- I'm busting my ass and earning money that is just flat taken from me. I've worked for 32 years. I've busted my ass for 32 years and been paid for 24 of them.

And THAT is just tax on my income. That doesn't even count the taxes I pay on just about everything in existence but bread and milk.

I earn good money. On paper. Because it isn't good money by the time I see it.

But don't pay your tax and see what happens. The US government sends it very own terrorist organization out to take everything you own because by God no matter what, Uncle Sam's going to get his.

In the meantime, some slug is sitting around doing nothing but selling dope for a living while being propped up well enough by the Govt to get fed, have cable tv and high speed internet.

It's absolute bullshit, and I for one and tired of footing the bill for a corrupt, lazy, do-nothing government -- and that's Republicans and Democrats alike --that can't even get a f-ing budget done on time each year even though it's due on the same f-ing day evey year.

It can investigate steroids in baseball and who's filming who in the NFL tho.:eusa_eh:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The terms of reference are needed to understand the study. How can we discuss high tax versus low tax systems (in the context of the findings of the study) when we don't know what the study found to be "high tax" or "low tax." Is the US "high tax," "low tax," "middle tax?" We also need although those other questions that I asked to be answered before we can intelligently discuss the results of the study.