Love your enemies and turn the other cheek?

It means some things are worth fighting for (defending your faith) and some are not (seeking revenge for selfish reasons)
Oops... you got that backwards...

How so?
Sounds like your saying that its worth fighting to defend your faith (something you beleive in)... If so; ones faith cannot be very strong if something as common as defeat, would make you stop believing. And revenge... Well that's easily one of the best, and most common things to fight for. Sounded like you had it backwards...
Revenge is never fulfilling or satisfying ultimately
Spoken like a person who's never gotten theirs. Im of a differing opinion on both counts.

I admit I'm not a vengeful person. I think people that do bad things are very troubled and unhappy anyway. I do believe in fighting for what is right and what is yours, but that is different thank obsessing on revenge. It takes over your life and that is no good for you or the others around you.

No I mean fighting for your right to exercise your faith

no one has the right to exercise a faith, no one sane anyway. find the truth or stfu.

Everyone is seeking truths of all kind. That's why we have discussion (and I'm not just talking about religious truths...) Pretty harsh and short sighted view....

Oops... you got that backwards...

How so?
Sounds like your saying that its worth fighting to defend your faith (something you beleive in)... If so; ones faith cannot be very strong if something as common as defeat, would make you stop believing. And revenge... Well that's easily one of the best, and most common things to fight for. Sounded like you had it backwards...
Spoken like a person who's never gotten theirs. Im of a differing opinion on both counts.

I admit I'm not a vengeful person. I think people that do bad things are very troubled and unhappy anyway. I do believe in fighting for what is right and what is yours, but that is different thank obsessing on revenge. It takes over your life and that is no good for you or the others around you.
Perhaps what you call obsessing over revenge; others call fighting for what they believe in. If there were a justice driven deity, delivering justice, such things wouldnt be neccessary. However as it stands now; the only justice one gets on this earth is the justice they make themselves.

Perhaps what you call obsessing over revenge; others call fighting for what they believe in. If there were a justice driven deity, delivering justice, such things wouldnt be neccessary. However as it stands now; the only justice one gets on this earth is the justice they make themselves.

If it makes you a better person, I stand corrected. We all have different goals.

If it makes you a better person, I stand corrected. We all have different goals.
Its not about becoming a better person. Its about balance. If a misdeed goes unanswered it only enboldens the miscreant to continue down that path. Then the next time they wrong someone; it only perpetuates the negativity. Break the cycle, break the habit, break them if need be. But never let a slight go unanswered.

Its not about becoming a better person. Its about balance. If a misdeed goes unanswered it only enboldens the miscreant to continue down that path. Then the next time they wrong someone; it only perpetuates the negativity. Break the cycle, break the habit, break them if need be. But never let a slight go unanswered.

It's one thing to answer back, another thing to get revenge for "perceived" wrong doing.

For example, your spouse cheats on you and leaves you. Revenge situation or no?

Your boss fires you without cause. Revenge situation or no?

Someone maliciously harms your spouse or child? Revenge situation or no?

In the first two, I would choose to move on. I agree you should not "enable" bad behavior, however, they are adults, and I would not want a partner or boss that is like that anyway. No likely they will change, you may only ruin their lives.

In the last scenario, well, it would be hard for me not to seek revenge because it's more violent and it's being done to someone I love, not myself.

It's one thing to answer back, another thing to get revenge for "perceived" wrong doing.

For example, your spouse cheats on you and leaves you. Revenge situation or no?

Your boss fires you without cause. Revenge situation or no?

Someone maliciously harms your spouse or child? Revenge situation or no?

In the first two, I would choose to move on. I agree you should not "enable" bad behavior, however, they are adults, and I would not want a partner or boss that is like that anyway. No likely they will change, you may only ruin their lives.

In the last scenario, well, it would be hard for me not to seek revenge because it's more violent and it's being done to someone I love, not myself.
Do you not love yourself?

I am not a perfect person. I am flawed. I cannot turn the other cheek, nor can I pray for my enemies that seek to do me harm. Just isn't in my genetic makeup. I smack back.

Hmmm.... I like myself. I guess I just consider myself to have a very good life, and, I'm not a victim. Other people trying to hurt me doesn't make me a victim. Only I allow myself to be a victim. I have a choice to fight or flee, and, sometimes it's better for myself and my mental well being to flee. That is not true for everyone, and I get that

I am not a perfect person. I am flawed. I cannot turn the other cheek, nor can I pray for my enemies that seek to do me harm. Just isn't in my genetic makeup. I smack back.

Well, join the club. I'm sure there are times I should fight. I'm not an ambitious person, so, usually I just prefer to let it go. If it really means that much, I'm sure I will fight or retaliate. But like you said, genetic makeup....

If you have such a good life, why do you complain about it so much and hunt for men when you are married?
Not being crude..just being honest in asking, albeit a tad harsh.

Hmmm.... I like myself. I guess I just consider myself to have a very good life, and, I'm not a victim. Other people trying to hurt me doesn't make me a victim. Only I allow myself to be a victim. I have a choice to fight or flee, and, sometimes it's better for myself and my mental well being to flee. That is not true for everyone, and I get that
I can get that... And its a great philosophy on victimhood. And prcisely why, when one would see you as prey, you prove yourself the hunter instead. Make an example of those who would wromg you. It makes such things less likely to happen in the future.

I can get that... And its a great philosophy on victimhood. And prcisely why, when one would see you as prey, you prove yourself the hunter instead. Make an example of those who would wromg you. It makes such things less likely to happen in the future.

I guess I'm more concerned with my own peace of mind than changing others or teaching them a lesson. The sooner "negative" is out of my life the better. Working on revenge only keeps the negative there longer. Especially if they then choose to wrong you again and the pattern repeats...

I guess I'm more concerned with my own peace of mind than changing others or teaching them a lesson. The sooner "negative" is out of my life the better. Working on revenge only keeps the negative there longer. Especially if they then choose to wrong you again and the pattern repeats...
If they choose to wrong you again... You have failed to deliver the message.

If they choose to wrong you again... You have failed to deliver the message.
Well some people never learn, unless they are gone. Sounds like you're a revenge expert!

no one has the right to exercise a faith, no one sane anyway. find the truth or stfu.

Everyone is seeking truths of all kind. That's why we have discussion (and I'm not just talking about religious truths...) Pretty harsh and short sighted view....
No I mean fighting for your right to exercise your faith eg even in cases where it may cost you your life.

Pretty harsh and short sighted view ....

your faith is derived from a 4th century book replete with violence against humanity from that time to the present. were you seeking truth you would be rewriting that awful book than mimicking it that is why your right (fighting) to exercise your faith is an invalid and pseudo belief.

No I mean fighting for your right to exercise your faith eg even in cases where it may cost you your life.

Pretty harsh and short sighted view ....

your faith is derived from a 4th century book replete with violence against humanity from that time to the present. were you seeking truth you would be rewriting that awful book than mimicking it that is why your right (fighting) to exercise your faith is an invalid and pseudo belief.
Like most things in life, it's never that simple or black and white

In this case, what do you mean by peace of mind? You said you would fight back if they wrong your child. For example they take over his farm then chase you all away. Then you can't let go or move on unless you have a second farm. But by looking for that peace you show them to take your second farm away too. So then what keeps the negative longer, the fighting back or the peace of mind?

Or as they say in the Catholic Church: Love thy enemies and spread both cheeks.

Forum List

Back