Louisiana Oil and Gas Association is demanding Obama lift the Moratorium on Drilling.

Does anyone seriously think the oil companies controlling the oil platforms are gonna let them stand idle for 6 months while our glorious leaders put on a big dog and pony show??

Hell no. The rigs will be moved to where they can drill. Once they leave they probably won't come back. Jobs lost big time.

Here in the Gulf the Chinese will probably move in. After all. They know the oil is there. They are slant drilling off Forida now.

Nothing wrong with oversite on these rigs but they need to keep drilling for oil.

They could also open up ANWR for oil and natural gas.

Does anyone seriously think the oil companies controlling the oil platforms are gonna let them stand idle for 6 months while our glorious leaders put on a big dog and pony show??

Hell no. The rigs will be moved to where they can drill. Once they leave they probably won't come back. Jobs lost big time.

Here in the Gulf the Chinese will probably move in. After all. They know the oil is there. They are slant drilling off Forida now.

Nothing wrong with oversite on these rigs but they need to keep drilling for oil.

They could also open up ANWR for oil and natural gas.
You are correct. Palin has been pleading to open up federal lands here in the states and ANWAR for domestic drilling on land. Also you are correct about the Chinese and also Russia will move their rigs in off Louisiana and elswhere in the Gulf.

Does anyone truly believe that Obama and crew care if another 100,000 or more lose their jobs? After all it's not their fault, they have BP as a scapegoat. They will take this opportunity to advance their liberal agendas to close down as much drilling as possible.

Are you serious? You got Piyush Jindal screaming for Federal help to clean up the mess caused by scurrilous oil companies and yet at the same time these LA fucks want MORE drilling in the Gulf????

Duh, yes. There is no way we can stop drilling, unless of course you want to send even more US dollars to the middle east. And if we are not in the gulf drilling do you think for a minute that 25 or even 50 other countries are not? Remember BP means British Petroleum.

why can't we buy more oil from canada and mexico and south america instead of saudi arabia? i have never understood why we don't?

A moratorium on drilling at the depths where the accident happened makes sense. You would want a thorough review of procedures and regulation.

For shallower drilling you probably could let it continue, just require onsite regulatory oversight during operations. Moratoriums caused by unique one of a kind accidents can often be cases of overcompensation for saving face after the fox has already raided the henhouse.

I agree. However, since it is obvious now that these rigs are NOT being properly and safely managed, a short moratorium in order to investigate and right the wrongs is in order.

That last statement is kind of broad. Yes this was a catasrophe but plenty of rigs were drilled an operated safely up to this point. The luck vs skill debate is still up there though.

I would agree with a long moratorium for deeper drilling until they figured out what went wrong and why fixing it took forever. For shallower stuff where they have experience the moratorium is for PR and feel good purposes only.

Are you serious? You got Piyush Jindal screaming for Federal help to clean up the mess caused by scurrilous oil companies and yet at the same time these LA fucks want MORE drilling in the Gulf????

Duh, yes. There is no way we can stop drilling, unless of course you want to send even more US dollars to the middle east. And if we are not in the gulf drilling do you think for a minute that 25 or even 50 other countries are not? Remember BP means British Petroleum.

why can't we buy more oil from canada and mexico and south america instead of saudi arabia? i have never understood why we don't?

I really don't understand it myself. Some of our oil is sold on the international stage, while we buy oil from other countries. It is one screwed up system that tells me one thing for certain........Politics and politicians were involved.

I live in Houma, La. I am in the Drilling Business.

Apparently, not anymore!
Not true. Drilling is going on in the bays, canals and inlets. Just not way offshore. This is gonna hurt the southern states very badly. I mean what the hell is the US goverment thinking?

So, if drilling is going to continue, just not in the Gulf itself, please tell me how this is going to be so bad for oil companies and employees?

We already do buy quite a bit from both. I'm not sure they have more available to sell. If you'll remember, G.W. had to go hat-in-hand to ask the Saudis for more production in his last year. I find it difficult to imagine that he wouldn't have first gone to Mexico and Canada if it was possible.

I've seen some other threads on some other sites that suggest a 6-month moratorium will likely result in a 3-year absence of rigs in the Gulf. They're saying that contracts are generally written for 2 years and that set up, tear down, and moving can take as much another year. So, say you move your rig to African waters, you wouldn't be available to come back for about three years. :eusa_eh:

Is that true? And do you know if any federal studies were done regarding the impact of a moratorium on domestic oil production, or did they just make this decision out-of-hand without bothering to think that a six month hiatus now could result in a three-year cessation?

I've seen some other threads on some other sites that suggest a 6-month moratorium will likely result in a 3-year absence of rigs in the Gulf. They're saying that contracts are generally written for 2 years and that set up, tear down, and moving can take as much another year. So, say you move your rig to African waters, you wouldn't be available to come back for about three years. :eusa_eh:

Is that true? And do you know if any federal studies were done regarding the impact of a moratorium on domestic oil production, or did they just make this decision out-of-hand without bothering to think that a six month hiatus now could result in a three-year cessation?

Does this mean when these guys to to work on rigs in African waters, they will come off the count of unemployed workers in the US?

Does this mean when these guys to to work on rigs in African waters, they will come off the count of unemployed workers in the US?

From what I'm given to understand, only a small percentage of workers travel with the rig. Part of the contract would appear to be the hiring of local labor.

From what I'm given to understand, only a small percentage of workers travel with the rig. Part of the contract would appear to be the hiring of local labor.

But since they are unionized, I don't see these guys being out of work long, if at all. That's the whole beauty of being in the union, right?

Apparently, not anymore!
Not true. Drilling is going on in the bays, canals and inlets. Just not way offshore. This is gonna hurt the southern states very badly. I mean what the hell is the US goverment thinking?

So, if drilling is going to continue, just not in the Gulf itself, please tell me how this is going to be so bad for oil companies and employees?

You have to understand. The big Jack-up rigs and semi-submersible rigs can't operate in shallow waters of Barataria Bay in Louisiana and the Inlets of the marsh in South Louisiana. They are not designed for that type of work. Most of the shallow water rigs are operated by non major producers who hire less hands because of the smaller rigs. In other words. It takes less men to operate a smaller rig and it takes less time to drill a well on land than it does at deep sea levels. Also most of the smaller oil companies are not in the union.

Louisianan's along with the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association are wanting President Obama to understand that they are suffering and want him to open the waters up to drilling so businesses along the gulf coast can start making money and people can work. One accident shouldn't shut down the gulf petroleum industry. Tons of small mom and pop businesses that relate to the industry are being effected in a trickle down side effect.

See what people are saying in Louisiana on LOGA's facebook:

.facebook.com/#!/LouisianaOilGasAssociation
....After all, drilling-screw-ups are only natural-disasters, right??

:rolleyes:

(Nice hidden-agenda, there, 'Baggers.)​

Louisianan's along with the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association are wanting President Obama to understand that they are suffering and want him to open the waters up to drilling so businesses along the gulf coast can start making money and people can work. One accident shouldn't shut down the gulf petroleum industry. Tons of small mom and pop businesses that relate to the industry are being effected in a trickle down side effect.

See what people are saying in Louisiana on LOGA's facebook:

.facebook.com/#!/LouisianaOilGasAssociation
....After all, drilling-screw-ups are only natural-disasters, right??

(Nice hidden-agenda, there, 'Baggers.)​
Yes it was a natural disaster. Oderless Natural Gas in a kick came up through a fissure through the annular in the riser of the BOP.

Last edited:
Does anyone truly believe that Obama and crew care if another 100,000 or more lose their jobs? After all it's not their fault, they have BP as a scapegoat. They will take this opportunity to advance their liberal agendas to close down as much drilling as possible.
Try, again, Grandfeathers.....​

"While the Obama administration has come up with new rules and regulations for shallow water drilling, it is not releasing any new rules when it comes to new deep water drilling until it figures out what happened with the BP disaster.

It has slapped a 6 month or more moratorium on NEW deep water drillinghttp://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/...l-industry-will-move-to-international-waters/ and that has the oil industry, lobbyists and some politicians ratcheting up efforts to change the president's mind."

In Terrebonne Parish where Houma, La is approximately 96 thousand are being effected by the rigs being shut down.
Yeah.....that's what's goin'-on......

"Testifying before the Senate energy panel, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar sought to reassure lawmakers that the Obama administration has pressed a "pause button, not the stop button," on all offshore oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and elsewhere.

Salazar described the recent moratorium that President Barack Obama put in place for offshore deepwater drilling, along with new requirements for shallow water oil drilling. The moratorium affects 33 deep-water drilling rigs, but does not halt oil production from existing production wells."

istockphoto_11748739-the-sky-is-falling-newspaper-headline.jpg

judgment_day_terror.jpg

In Terrebonne Parish where Houma, La is approximately 96 thousand are being effected by the rigs being shut down.

"Testifying before the Senate energy panel, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar sought to reassure lawmakers that the Obama administration has pressed a "pause button, not the stop button," on all offshore oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and elsewhere.

Salazar described the recent moratorium that President Barack Obama put in place for offshore deepwater drilling, along with new requirements for shallow water oil drilling. The moratorium affects 33 deep-water drilling rigs, but does not halt oil production from existing production wells."

judgment_day_terror.jpg

Producing wells have already been drilled idiot. The existing wells from the vacant platform require no crew since the pumps and pipeline carry the oil from the well to shore. Obama shut down drilling rigs operating, not producing wells already drilled by a rig. Have you ever worked in the oilfield?

judgment_day_terror.jpg

Producing wells have already been drilled idiot. The existing wells from the vacant platform require no crew since the pumps and pipeline carry the oil from the well to shore.
...And, then, it magically turns-into the various by-products, huh?

Forum List

Back