Losing my religion for equality

orogenicman

Darwin was a pastafarian
Jul 24, 2013
Don't know why it took him this long to take this stance other than the fact that it is a difficult one to take when you are a politician. I suppose since he is no long in politics, it was much easier for him to do this.

I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.
The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world. This is in clear violation not just of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but also the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, Moses and the prophets, Muhammad, and founders of other great religions - all of whom have called for proper and equitable treatment of all the children of God. It is time we had the courage to challenge these views.

OBSERVER

Jimmy Carter was president of the United States from 1977 to 1981.

Nobody cares about Jimmy Carter. When he dies, they will have to pay people to come to his funeral.

Jimmy Carter has no friends. The Democratic Party pretends he was never President. He is an embarrassment to them and they want to forget him.

Nobody cares about Jimmy Carter. When he dies, they will have to pay people to come to his funeral.

Great humanitarian and a good president who kept us out of war and created more jobs than Bush and Reagan COMBINED.

Unlike the phonies here, he is a true Christian.

Jimmy Carter has no friends. The Democratic Party pretends he was never President. He is an embarrassment to them and they want to forget him.

You're working awfully hard NOT to address what he wrote.

Why do you suppose that is?

Fact is, true Christians are struggling with the very questions he discusses while the phonies are showing their true colors with their constant hate campaigns.

Pretends,,,,I can see no where that goes on.........Everyone around him seems to know who he is and who he was at one time....Even Bush pokes his head up from the clouds...

Carter is free to leave the Southern Baptists because they won't allow women to preach or act as chaplains.

There are other Protestant denominations that caved on this issue, and he can join one of those other churches.

I'm a Catholic, and last I checked, women weren't allowed to be priests and deacons.

The Church has no explanation, other than to say, "The Church has no authority to ordain women as priests."

Maybe someday someone will figure this out.

But I doubt it.

Pretends,,,,I can see no where that goes on.........Everyone around him seems to know who he is and who he was at one time....Even Bush pokes his head up from the clouds...

Bush doesn't dare leave the country though. Hell, he can hardly leave Dallas.

Bush doesn't dare leave the country though. Hell, he can hardly leave Dallas.
He is doing more now than the last 5 years...

Carter is free to leave the Southern Baptists because they won't allow women to preach or act as chaplains.

There are other Protestant denominations that caved on this issue, and he can join one of those other churches.

I'm a Catholic, and last I checked, women weren't allowed to be priests and deacons.

The Church has no explanation, other than to say, "The Church has no authority to ordain women as priests."

Maybe someday someone will figure this out.

But I doubt it.

Sure takes a bunch of faith to be Catholic.

I agree with Carlin;

“I don't know how you feel, but I'm pretty sick of church people. You know what they ought to do with churches? Tax them. If holy people are so interested in politics, government, and public policy, let them pay the price of admission like everybody else. The Catholic Church alone could wipe out the national debt if all you did was tax their real estate.”
George Carlin

Don't know why it took him this long to take this stance other than the fact that it is a difficult one to take when you are a politician. I suppose since he is no long in politics, it was much easier for him to do this.

I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.
The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world. This is in clear violation not just of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but also the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, Moses and the prophets, Muhammad, and founders of other great religions - all of whom have called for proper and equitable treatment of all the children of God. It is time we had the courage to challenge these views.

OBSERVER

Jimmy Carter was president of the United States from 1977 to 1981.

Way to go, Jimmy!!! :D

No one pays attention to Jimmy Carter.

People should. What Carter did for Habit for Humanity is worth TENS OF BILLIONS.

That's why I said he's a true humanitarian, a real Christian. And people do pay attention to what he does. I've seen him on talk and news shows. Very self-deprecating, accomplishes so much for the less fortunate and very worthy of our respect and admiration.

Its sad that some are so stuck into their partisan hate that they can't or won't give credit where its due. He was a much better president than he is given credit for as well.

People should. What Carter did for Habit for Humanity is worth TENS OF BILLIONS.

That's why I said he's a true humanitarian, a real Christian. And people do pay attention to what he does. I've seen him on talk and news shows. Very self-deprecating, accomplishes so much for the less fortunate and very worthy of our respect and admiration.

Its sad that some are so stuck into their partisan hate that they can't or won't give credit where its due. He was a much better president than he is given credit for as well.

you realize that all the problems Obama has with Iran right now are the direct result of Carter's ineptitude at foreign policy, right?

you also know that the man you are praising as a great Christian is one of the most antisemetic leaders we've had in this nation. Yet his hate is conveniently ignored because you agree with his politics.

you realize that all the problems Obama has with Iran right now are the direct result of Carter's ineptitude at foreign policy, right?

you also know that the man you are praising as a great Christian is one of the most antisemetic leaders we've had in this nation. Yet his hate is conveniently ignored because you agree with his politics.

Actually, our problems with Iran are the result of decades of supporting the Shah of Iran prior to Carter becoming president. Yeah, Carter allowed the Shah to come here, which was a mistake. But the fact remains that the Shah was brutal with his own people long before Carter was elected.

Every day Carter thanks Obama for relieving him of the "Worst American President" mantle

Forum List

Back