Lords of Dogtown

JOKER96BRAVO

Aug 13, 2004
Great movie!
Well, I thought it was anyway.
I'm an old school skater though.
Worth a rent for any who are interested in how skateboarding came to be.

Haven't seen this, but Dogtown and Z-Boys, the documentary it's based on, is really excellent.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Great movie!
Well, I thought it was anyway.
I'm an old school skater though.
Worth a rent for any who are interested in how skateboarding came to be.

I really liked the documentary, did you see it?

Gave more credit (where it was due) to Jay Adams.

Y'know, when I watched the documentary with the knowledge that Stacy Peralta had directed it, I couldn't help but think he had kind of pushed the other Z-Boys to the side a little bit and gave himself a little too much credit.

The doc just made Jay look like a coke head (which he was).
But they never gave him credit for starting the movement, being the spark
if you will. Take a look at the extras on the unrated DVD.

Also...
Alva
Adams
and many more of the original Z crew make a cameo in the movie as well as
Tony Hawk.

Dan said:
Y'know, when I watched the documentary with the knowledge that Stacy Peralta had directed it, I couldn't help but think he had kind of pushed the other Z-Boys to the side a little bit and gave himself a little too much credit.
Peralta produced Lords of d town.
He was a big part of the movement after the dogbowl sessions.
Powel Perelta ring a bell? I used to ride one, with G&S trucks (you'll see G&S in the movie and guess who rides for them). Adams was the only Z boy who
stayed true to his roots after dogbowl, with Alva at a close second.

It's kinda sad that the majority of the kids out there today only know of skating through Bam Margera.

Dan said:
It's kinda sad that the majority of the kids out there today only know of skating through Bam Margera.
or Tony Hawk, which was found by Peralta.
He put Tony in the famous Bones Brigade when he was 14.

good flick though.
Make sure you get the uncut (unrated, uncensored???) one.
it's got the cool extras.

Well, Tony Hawk's cool. He seems down to earth, and I had no idea until I saw him on Dinner For Five that he makes as much in endorsements as any other American athlete.

Bam, I liked a lot during his Jackass days. I own all of the CKY videos and actually think he's a pretty good skater. But, lately, he seems to be such a "look how much I've got and you don't" type sellout, I just get irritated by him.

I finally rented it and liked it a lot. However, I must admit I liked the documentary better for the original footage, plus I found there was a little more background on who was who and a few other details that were lacking in the movie. I was watching with someone who had no idea who anyone was and I had to explain quite a bit to them. All in all though, a good movie,worth renting (which I will again, it's now my daughter's favorite movie). Great soundtrack too.

I heard there's a really cool video out on hoola hooping. Fat tina was the pioneer of the modern hula hoop movement.

I enjoyed this flick, it brought me back to my teen years in South California. I had an Afghan hound that would pull me for miles on my board. Had to keep an eye out for cats because it could get very hairy in no time.

Forum List

Back