Looks like Stewarts rally makes Becks look like a get together.

It's making fun of YOU and people like you, left and right. And yes, that includes Beck. But it's not only Beck. It's everybody who has absolutely no perspective whatosoever and has nothing of substance to contribute to any meaningful debate.
And Stewart is doing this by putting on a free concert while specifically avoiding any meaningful political discussion?

It sounds like Stewart "has nothing of substance to contribute to any meaningful debate." But that's right, he's only a comedian...we cannot expect him to make a serious argument.

Images in - The crowds are massive...

DC_Landsat.jpg

Look at all the PEOPLE!

:lol:

It's making fun of YOU and people like you, left and right. And yes, that includes Beck. But it's not only Beck. It's everybody who has absolutely no perspective whatosoever and has nothing of substance to contribute to any meaningful debate.
And Stewart is doing this by putting on a free concert while specifically avoiding any meaningful political discussion?

It sounds like Stewart "has nothing of substance to contribute to any meaningful debate."

Did you watch the rally? It wasn't meant to be meaningful political debate. It was satire.

You normally get satire, which leads me to believe you probably didn't watch it.

How can you all not get it?

The "rally" was like abstract modern art whose sole function is to permit the viewer to see in it whatever he or she chooses to see in it.

"It was the political (non-political) feel good event of the weekend."

Rorschach would be pleased.

WAPO overhead of Stewart/Colbert rally:

PH2010103002403.jpg
\

Close up shots look to be mostly kids no doubt drawn to see Stewart and/or the entertainment featured.

Long shot of Restore Honor rally:

Restora+AmericA+Rally+2+082810

In answer to Annie's question, no, I don't think rallies affect much of anybody's vote. What a rally like Restore Honor does do though is give those of us who love America and the traditional values that have made it the great nation it is are encouraged that we aren't alone but that hundreds of thousands are willing to get out there and show their support. And perhaps that does translate into more incentive to make it to the polls to vote because it seems more possible that our vote can actually make a difference.

As one of the stereo-typed, so called "right-wingers", that was a pretty cool event. Very young crowd.

Now I want our government back more than ever.

I will vote for anyone but Democrats. We are a better people than our government. Not sure why they won't listen to us. They will now.

It was a cool event. I disagree with your political views, but if you get it then we have something in common. And THAT is the point. :thup:

Did you watch the rally? It wasn't meant to be meaningful political debate. It was satire.

You normally get satire, which leads me to believe you probably didn't watch it.
I understand what he is attempting...only it is a contradiction. He wants to be a comedian, to make people laugh, and yet wants to be taken seriously when discussing issues he cares about.

Did you watch Obama's interview on The Daily Show? Was it a comedy routine, or was it a serious interview discussing issues that are affecting millions of Americans?

Jon Stewart wants it both ways. He wants to discuss political issues seriously, yet retreat behind comedic license when it gets too hot.

---

Do you think it is just coincidence that Jon Stewart's Obama interview and Rally to Restore Sanity both occurred just days before the midterm election? Democratic Strategists couldn't have planned it better themselves.

---

You cannot be both court jester and judge.

Last edited:

I understand what he is attempting...only it is a contradiction. He wants to be a comedian, to make people laugh, and yet wants to be taken seriously when discussing issues he cares about.

Did you watch Obama's interview on The Daily Show? Was it a comedy routine, or was it a serious interview discussing issues that are affecting millions of Americans?

Jon Stewart wants it both ways. He wants to discuss political issues seriously, yet retreat behind comedic license when it gets too hot.

---

Of course one can. Check Mark Twain or Will Rogers, for a start. What Stewart has done has drawn Real America from right to left to do what Americans do best, party. And that is the coolest point of all. We are a people regardless of those who try to divide us.

Of course one can. Check Mark Twain or Will Rogers, for a start. What Stewart has done has drawn Real America from right to left to do what Americans do best, party. And that is the coolest point of all. We are a people regardless of those who try to divide us.
:lol::lol::lol:

And Beck drew 'Real America' from right to left to do what Americans do best, pray.

:lol::lol::lol:

You know how the Libs will spin this.Starting with the WH Press Secretary and ending with Ed Shultz........
They will all say that the crowd was there to support the President,Nancy Pelosi,Harry Reid,The stimulus bill,the Health care bill Cap and tax,the President's crazy spending.The whole deal.And the sad thing is it will influence more Democrats to come out and vote to support The Democrats which was probably the real reason for this anyway.

---

Do you think it is just coincidence that Jon Stewart's Obama interview and Rally to Restore Sanity both occurred just days before the midterm election? Democratic Strategists couldn't have planned it better themselves.

---

He is a satirist, so is Colbert. What is satire? Comedy with a point. It's what they do.

Why are you so incensed about a show you didn't even watch?

---

---

Of course Stewart is partisan, and of course the rally was fully intended to stir up the 'base' especially among the young. I sorta disagree a little that a comedian/satirist cannot also be political spokesperson though as many have done that on both sides of the spectrum: Red Skelton, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, George Carlin et al come to mind of the top of my head. Somebody doesn't hang up his personal convictions just because he makes a living making people laugh, and Stewart does make me laugh.

He and Bill O'Reilly have been trading off being on each other's shows lately and it has been good. :)

My daughter attended the rally today and reports that it was a pretty good crowd but most there just enjoying the entertainment. It was a good time she said.

Stewart's bit on energy independence is a classic and remains one of my favorites. I defy anybody to watch it and not laugh. But it is defnitely genuinely educational.

Here's one place to see it:
Jon Stewart on Energy Independence: "Why didn't it work? Why didn't we do it?" - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

You know how the Libs will spin this.Starting with the WH Press Secretary and ending with Ed Shultz........
They will all say that the crowd was there to support the President,Nancy Pelosi,Harry Reid,The stimulus bill,the Health care bill Cap and tax,the President's crazy spending.The whole deal.And the sad thing is it will influence more Democrats to come out and vote to support The Democrats which was probably the real reason for this anyway.

How do you come up with this crap??? In your dreams?? What politicians were there? None? If you didn't watch it, you didn't get it. There was nothing in the rally to say that it supported any candidate. It was just supporting "let's all get along".

It sounds like Stewart "has nothing of substance to contribute to any meaningful debate." But that's right, he's only a comedian...we cannot expect him to make a serious argument.

and Beck is an entertainer.

My son is there with his college Improv team. Just got a text. They had a blast. He asked if they beat Beck. I told him according to rightwinger, 90 percent of the US population was there. Lol

---

---

Of course Stewart is partisan, and of course the rally was fully intended to stir up the 'base' especially among the young. I sorta disagree a little that a comedian/satirist cannot also be political spokesperson though as many have done that on both sides of the spectrum: Red Skelton, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, George Carlin et al come to mind of the top of my head. Somebody doesn't hang up his personal convictions just because he makes a living making people laugh, and Stewart does make me laugh.

He and Bill O'Reilly have been trading off being on each other's shows lately and it has been good. :)

My daughter attended the rally today and reports that it was a pretty good crowd but most there just enjoying the entertainment. It was a good time she said.

Stewart's bit on energy independence is a classic and remains one of my favorites. I defy anybody to watch it and not laugh. But it is defnitely genuinely educational.

Here's one place to see it:
Jon Stewart on Energy Independence: "Why didn't it work? Why didn't we do it?" - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Of the two I actually prefer Colbert, he fits my somewhat sarcastic sense of humor a little better. ;)

I wish I could have been there, it sounds like a good time was had by all. I watched most of the broadcast though, it was good comedy and a lineup of good musical performers. I laughed - a lot. Like Stewart said, the whole point was just everybody's presence, hanging out and having a good time together without worrying about the partisan crap for a few hours (I'm obviously paraphrasing there). I appreciate that. Some people might get offended by the notion, but I like it.

My son is there with his college Improv team. Just got a text. They had a blast. He asked if they beat Beck. I told him according to rightwinger, 90 percent of the US population was there. Lol

:lol:

Forum List

Back