Looks like lunchbox nazi inspectors are mandated by the Feds

So now the little girl is the fuck up? To cover their own asses at the school they are going to blame the kid?

Oh that's sad. That's really disgusting. Where's the barfing smilie?
They didn't blame the kid they blamed the TEACHER. The school's statement was that the TEACHER should have gone and got the milk, not sent a four year old into a cafeteria line.

If you didn't start drinking so early, you wouldn't need to purge as often.

I just read the complete AP story. And a story it is. My, oh my how many times this has morphed from the school's side.

I'm going to wait for the DHHS report into the matter because the stories from the school are changing minute by minute.

First it was a State Agent, then it was an inspector from the University. Talk about a cover your ass mode.

Now the issue is "milk". Riiiiiiiiiiight. The dairy was provided by the cheese. They really seem to be grasping at straws at the school.

Or was the agent/university rep/now teacher such a dumb fuck that they don't realize cheese = dairy?

The only constant has been that the child did not eat her lunch and was given a supplementary lunch.

This thread I started deals with the larger issue of Government involvement via the USDA management program of school meals.

And I personally have far greater concerns than just this one incident into the intrusion of our lives by government.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Reps your way. Add in LA and Chicago and the left should shut the fuck up.

For the most part, common sense I'd say. You see a kid with nothing more than a salami sandwich and a juice, would you offer the kid more food?

don't start going sideways, it was a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice, wtf? its lunch, she needed milk aside from the juice? seriously?

Actually I was referring to another lunch that the drunk dancer was talking about where the kid only had a salami sandwich and a juice.

As for the lunch in the trumped up Limbaugh story, she was offered milk...so what?

You have absolutely no proof that she was only offered milk. That's just an AP story and this story is changing minute by minute from the school's side to cover their ass.

Regarding a salami and cheese sandwich on a whole wheat bun and juice for a lunch for a four year old, that child could be a picky eater like most four year olds. Her mother knows her best.

And both these mothers in question prefer to feed their own children or they would sign up for the government lunch program for their children.

Sheesh, what a novel fucking idea.

don't start going sideways, it was a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice, wtf? its lunch, she needed milk aside from the juice? seriously?

Here's the thing . . . if the kid has milk (or yogurt or cheese, etc.) at breakfast and dinner she doesn't even need it at lunch because the other two meals have it covered. It simply is not the school's/governments job to monitor what a kid eats. Period. Guidelines for school meals that meet nutritional requirements is fine . . . but that's it.

What's next? Government knocking on doors inspecting the food being served in homes?

Would you want a teacher to recognize if a child is being abused at home? Why shouldn't a teacher also recognize that a child isn't getting the proper nutrition at home?

Nobody is FORCING anyone to EAT anything nor are they TAKING FOOD away from anyone, no matter what the drug addled gasbag Limbaugh is saying.

Now the kid with the salami and cheese sandwich isn't getting the proper nutrition? Tell me . . . what else did the kid eat that day? Because unless they (school/gov't) is going to monitor every bite the kid eats they have no way of knowing if they are receiving proper nutrition. So was my previous statement correct . . . they're going to start knocking on doors of people's home to see what's being fed to the kids?

The government provides guidelines for meals and the school meets those guidelines. Fine. But any kid bringing their brown bagged lunch DOES NOT give permission for the school/gov't. to inspect said lunch and 'offer' additional food/drink. If the mother had wanted her kid to have milk instead of juice, she'd have packed it or sent in money for the kid to buy it. If the mother had wanted the kid to eat chicken nuggets and applesauce instead of a salami and cheese sandwich she would have packed it or given the kid money to buy it.

The parents did their job, the school/gov't. decided it wasn't right and butted in where they had no business butting in. Nanny state? You betcha.

Actually I was referring to another lunch that the drunk dancer was talking about where the kid only had a salami sandwich and a juice.

As for the lunch in the trumped up Limbaugh story, she was offered milk...so what?

You have absolutely no proof that she was only offered milk. That's just an AP story and this story is changing minute by minute from the school's side to cover their ass.

Regarding a salami and cheese sandwich on a whole wheat bun and juice for a lunch for a four year old, that child could be a picky eater like most four year olds. Her mother knows her best.

And both these mothers in question prefer to feed their own children or they would sign up for the government lunch program for their children.

There is more proof that she was offered milk and took the entire lunch than there is to the hyperbolic bullshit YOU ran with as the "story".

If I saw a kid with only a salami sandwich and a juice to get her through the day, I'd offer her more food too. On my end all I'd see is a kid without enough to eat. Maybe the family is struggling, maybe Mom got busy and forgot to finish the lunch...doesn't matter. I'd give the kid more food and suffer the "wrath" of the mother if necessary later.

From what I've seen of this story, the school and perhaps state compliance nazis have read the rules wrong. First off, the program the girl was in seems to have more enforcement 'teeth' than the regular programs. It's targeted at mostly poor preschoolers 'at-risk.'

Even with that said, the lunches that 'must comply' are those served by the schools and those provided by 'day-care providers', neither of these are 'home.'

No matter, this clearly is the state overstepping.

While this little girl's lunch did indeed meet the 'guidelines' as I'm sure the school provided lunches do; McNuggets not withstanding; seems better time could be spent in providing lesson plans that interest students or planning informative programs for parents on parenting.

An aside, Thursday I was subbing in a middle school. From 10:30 to 11, I was assigned as a lunchroom monitor. Saw a boy just sitting there, no lunch. He'd been in one of my morning classes and I asked him, "Did you forget your lunch?" He replied, "No money."

Anyone who's been teaching for a bit, knows it's not a good idea to reach into your pocket and give kids money. So, I went to a regular teacher and told her. Within 2 minutes the principal was there, leading the student into the lunch line and talking to him. When I was checking out at 3, the principal came out and said, "Thanks for catching that, his dad just lost his job and he's very upset. You probably just headed off a bigger problem. Thank you."

This is a school in a very affluent neighborhood in an above average suburb of an affluent county. LOL! I know that sounds confusing, but the poverty rate her is under 1%. Sometimes feeling 'poor' in an area of much can skew what is really happening, especially to a 12 year old. I don't know the details, I'm surmising the boy chose not to make a lunch and is scared because of what's happening at home. He was wearing new Nikes, A & F shirt, and Tommy H jeans.

He still needed a lunch that day.

They didn't blame the kid they blamed the TEACHER. The school's statement was that the TEACHER should have gone and got the milk, not sent a four year old into a cafeteria line.

If you didn't start drinking so early, you wouldn't need to purge as often.

I just read the complete AP story. And a story it is. My, oh my how many times this has morphed from the school's side.

I'm going to wait for the DHHS report into the matter because the stories from the school are changing minute by minute.

First it was a State Agent, then it was an inspector from the University. Talk about a cover your ass mode.

Now the issue is "milk". Riiiiiiiiiiight. The dairy was provided by the cheese. They really seem to be grasping at straws at the school.

Or was the agent/university rep/now teacher such a dumb fuck that they don't realize cheese = dairy?

The only constant has been that the child did not eat her lunch and was given a supplementary lunch.

This thread I started deals with the larger issue of Government involvement via the USDA management program of school meals.

And I personally have far greater concerns than just this one incident into the intrusion of our lives by government.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Reps your way. Add in LA and Chicago and the left should shut the fuck up.

Cripes I just fell into the story by NPR (so the left can't diss that link) where all the schools are jumping on serving 3 full meals a day at school.

Sweet lord, I don't want to see kids go hungry but check these stats. Why bother giving parents freaking food stamps for their school age kids?

In California, the Oakland Unified School District started a pilot program in October, dishing up dinner in 11 of its 101 schools. The district plans to expand the program in 19 more schools by the end of the school year.

"There are some of these kids who you know just don't eat when they go home," said Jennifer LeBarre, nutrition services director for the district, where about 70 percent of its 38,000 students qualify for subsidized meals.

In Tennessee, Memphis City Schools are serving about 14,000 after-school meals daily. About 84 percent of the district's 110,000 students qualify for free- or reduced price lunches.

More Public Schools Dish Up 3 Meals A Day : NPR

There is more proof that she was offered milk and took the entire lunch than there is to the hyperbolic bullshit YOU ran with as the "story".

If I saw a kid with only a salami sandwich and a juice to get her through the day, I'd offer her more food too. On my end all I'd see is a kid without enough to eat. Maybe the family is struggling, maybe Mom got busy and forgot to finish the lunch...doesn't matter. I'd give the kid more food and suffer the "wrath" of the mother if necessary later.

Its a kid, not a construction worker.

Again, HOW DO YOU (OR THEY) KNOW THAT THAT'S ALL SHE ATE ALL DAY????? Again, 4 year olds are offered snacks, twice if it is an all day program. One meal DOES NOT make up what nutrition a kid gets in a day and it is not the school's/gov'ts job to decide if what the parent's provide is or isn't ok. The only way for them to know is to monitor everything she eats. That is not the school's/gov'ts job. The school must meet the gov't. guidelines but this story implies that the parents must also meet these guidelines. And you find nothing wrong with that, do you? :cuckoo:

Again, HOW DO YOU (OR THEY) KNOW THAT THAT'S ALL SHE ATE ALL DAY????? Again, 4 year olds are offered snacks, twice if it is an all day program. One meal DOES NOT make up what nutrition a kid gets in a day and it is not the school's/gov'ts job to decide if what the parent's provide is or isn't ok. The only way for them to know is to monitor everything she eats. That is not the school's/gov'ts job. The school must meet the gov't. guidelines but this story implies that the parents must also meet these guidelines. And you find nothing wrong with that, do you? :cuckoo:

Actually, I would assume that it wasn't all she'd eaten that day. I would assume that the child had eaten breakfast. Common sense tells me that a salami sandwich and a juice isn't enough to get a child through a six hour day.

If you have a problem with the guidelines that the NORTH CAROLINA School system has set forth for their schools, get them changed.

This has nothing to do with the Federal government (as the OP claims), nobody forced food on anyone and nobody took anyone's food away. Just another hyperbolic non story whipped up by a drug addled gasbag...and Rush Limbaugh.

There's more proof? Where?

I've put up multiple links to very good sources. Even the very left wing Daily Mail in the UK ran with the story.

Why are you so bent out of shape?

What's with the left wing hysteria to defend to the death the government/and or the school/ and or whoever was involved in this debacle.

Adults screw up all the time. Adults in many situations over step their bounds. No big smurf if it comes to light and gets corrected.

This thread is about the bigger picture. And this story opens up the whole can of worms about what is coming our way.

If you read my other posts you would grasp that.

ETA: honestly did you see the new USDA regulations for school meals based on calories determined by the government based on grade level?

This should really worry people. One size fits all nutrition is really crazy. Every childs caloric needs are different.

To base total calories allowed to be served on a weekly basis based on Grade level is well, insane.

Last edited:

Actually, I would assume that it wasn't all she'd eaten that day. I would assume that the child had eaten breakfast. Common sense tells me that a salami sandwich and a juice isn't enough to get a child through a six hour day.

If you have a problem with the guidelines that the NORTH CAROLINA School system has set forth for their schools, get them changed.

This has nothing to do with the Federal government (as the OP claims), nobody forced food on anyone and nobody took anyone's food away. Just another hyperbolic non story whipped up by a drug addled gasbag...and Rush Limbaugh.

Actually if you 'assume' the child ate breakfast that got her through the 3 hours of so until her salami sandwich and juice. That 'inadequate' lunch in your mind, would only be needed for 3 hours until she was done with school. Remember, lunch is 'midday.'

After teaching for more than a decade, the only kids I've seen with a sandwich and drink are those that eat half the sandwich or less. I'm speaking of older kids, though have observed many younger ones having taught in Preschool-8th grade for 10 years.

In general regarding 'little kids' I wouldn't focus so much on the lunch contents as the time allowed to consume. The little ones really don't get much food down in 20 minutes, really less considering how difficult it is to open the fruit cups, milk cartons, and Tupperware like containers.

It seems to me that 4-8 year olds need at least 1/2 hour for lunch, the older kids not so much.

Here's the thing . . . if the kid has milk (or yogurt or cheese, etc.) at breakfast and dinner she doesn't even need it at lunch because the other two meals have it covered. It simply is not the school's/governments job to monitor what a kid eats. Period. Guidelines for school meals that meet nutritional requirements is fine . . . but that's it.

What's next? Government knocking on doors inspecting the food being served in homes?

Would you want a teacher to recognize if a child is being abused at home? Why shouldn't a teacher also recognize that a child isn't getting the proper nutrition at home?

Nobody is FORCING anyone to EAT anything nor are they TAKING FOOD away from anyone, no matter what the drug addled gasbag Limbaugh is saying.

no strawmen please.....

I am going to make this is simple as possible....if a teacher is walking around keeping order etc. and she sees a child sitting there just munching a bag of chips and she say hey honey, is that all you have for lunch and the child says yes , by all means offer her a lunch.

If she says no, its all I want, then she can ask 'are you sure?' etc. , kid says yes, the teacher may want to send a heads up letter to the parent saying it appears your daughter isn't eating lunch..... at least she told me on that day she wasn't.......

unless the child offers some evidence, like, ' we don't have food etc.' the teachers duty ends, right there....get it?

Lunch is not the only food 4 year olds eat when at school. THEY GET SNACKS. Hell, my kids were in preschool for 2 1/2 hrs/day and were offered snacks.

But lets say no snack is offered and the kid is in school for six hours. Kid eats b-fast, goes to school, eats lunch after being in school approx 3 hours, goes home after another 3 hrs. So how is that lunch having to stretch for six hours again?

eta: the school decided, based on gov't guidelines, that the lunches bought from home did not meet said guidelines and decided to take it upon themselves to give those kids more food. It isn't their fucking job to decide if what's in that home bought lunch meets some guidelines or not. It over steps the bounds, it's nanny state shit, it's wrong. How do you not see this?

Last edited:

If the 4 year old had breakfast and then had a sandwich and juice at lunch,(noon) it is only another 3 hours of school, not 6 or 7. And, 4 year olds get a snack in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Where did a "teacher" get the idea that they had the "authority" to judge a child's lunch?

For the most part, common sense I'd say. You see a kid with nothing more than a salami sandwich and a juice, would you offer the kid more food?

That's your mistake Seawytch. You are arguing with people with no common sense. To them logic is an enemy and truth is a menace. Years of scientific research has proven the link between proper nutrition, learning and behavior.

When a town in California removed toys from Happy Meals to stop Mc D's from enticing children to eat corporate pig slop, right wingers went ballistic...NOW, they are telling us that chicken nuggets are corporate pig slop.

As I read all the adolescent right wing replies, it verifies a follow up study done twenty years later of childhood personality. In 1969 Nursery school teachers were asked to rate children's temperaments. They weren't even thinking about political orientation.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics..

Yes, liberals are supposed to have more "theoretical intelligence". Conservatives tend to have more "practical intelligence" (common sense). One needs a bully to get their way, and votes to make the "gov't" that bully. The other, concentrates on working and investing. Guess which group is "typically" "happy"?

Many teachers today are more concerned about how "they" can abuse a child. Most will not stop a case of "bullying", but will make sure when a child defends themself, they are suspended. The children that attend school without bathing, without food or money for food, are kicked to the back of the room. The truly abusive parents are allowed to continue abusing. Let a child whose parents are middle class show up without money or the proper lunch, and the whole school district will work to seperate that child from their parents. But liberals/lefties/progressive/socialists/communists/homosexual activists/islamic extremists/environmentalists (pick one, they all act the same) are more concerned with the way things "sound", than if the plan actually works. Take for example: the graduation rate of the education system. Are we below 60%, yet? In many big cities, it is less than 40%, yet, choose one of the above, keeps telling us they "just need more money" to make it work. It is not working. The FDA dietary guidelines have done nothing, NOTHING to improve the health of Americans. The groups above answer: give them more authority?????

Well, while we still don't exactly who the agent was in the "chicken nugget" fiasco in NC, this is what I have found out.

In 2010 the Feds passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

This is right on the USDA website. I never knew that First Ladies could push legislation.

Most recently, Rowe served as Deputy Administrator for Special Nutrition Programs at FNS, leading the effort to pass the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the legislative centerpiece of First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move! initiative to end childhood obesity in a generation.

Audrey Rowe | USDA

Then there is this. Right on the WH site. And you can grab a pdf link off this one to see what they have outlined as a sample nutritious school lunch.

For Immediate Release
December 13, 2010
President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law

First Lady Michelle Obama, Administration Officials and Let’s Move! Advocates Reaffirm Commitment to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids

“Today is a great day for kids throughout our country as they will soon have healthier, and more nutritious food in their schools. As we continue to focus on the twin issues of childhood obesity and hunger, we will increase access to good, quality meals in school cafeterias so the nutritional needs of our youngsters are better met.

The President and First Lady have advocated strongly for passing the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, and, this bill, along with the resources and the powers provided under it, are going to allow USDA to be much more effective and aggressive in responding to obesity and hunger challenges for America’s kids.”

- U.S. Secretary Of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

President Obama Signs Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 Into Law | The White House

Just another example of "liberals" being anything but liberal...

Not surprisingly, this story has been picked up in large swathes of the libertarian and conservative blogospheres…

One problem: the story is a load of bunk at worst, a non-story at best, standing for little more than the proposition that low-income children in NC’s low-income pre-K program whose parents don’t send them to school with enough healthy food will be provided with additional food to supplement what their parents send them to school with.

As usual, conservatives have no use for the truth.

Needless to say, if a story came out that poor children were discovered to not have enough healthy food and the school failed to offer a supplement, conservatives would decry the ‘incompetent pubic sector.’

That's not the issue here whatsoever.

The issue is the mother's lunch met the guidelines and frankly was more nutritious than freaking deep fried chicken nuggets. Yet the inspector told the child her lunch from mom was no good, and gave her a school lunch.

Do you know what's in chicken nuggets? Trust me, the turkey sandwich mom packed is far better.

Oh and the story has gone viral internationally in even left wing news organizations. Not just blogs.
Jonesy is just a obamaturd butt kisser and like the current admin. doesn't care that the kids lunch was more nutritious, they just care that the sheep do what they are told.

Not sure if this pertains to TD's post but it happened again. I posted this earlier in the thread (page 6).
From another update:

The agent examined the lunches for the six students in the class and believed one did not meet nutritional requirements spelled out by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Barnes said.

According to the USDA, schools are required to provide lunches that include one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

DHHS is investigating.

link for this?

It happened again.

When Jazlyn said she didn’t eat what her mother had made her, Zambrano went to her teacher and demanded to know what happened. She said the teacher told her an official had come through that day to inspect students’ lunches and that those who were lacking certain food groups were sent to the cafeteria. After she received her cafeteria food, the teacher told Zambrano, Jazlyn was told to put her homemade lunch back in her lunchbox and set it on the floor.

Zambrano said the teacher told her it was not the first time student lunches have been inspected, and that officials come “every so often.”

The policing of children’s food at West Hoke has been portrayed as an isolated incident, but a curious memo Jazlyn brought home to her mother seems to point to something more.

The memo Jazlyn brought from the school outlines the necessary nutritional requirements students’ homemade lunches must contain: two servings of fruit or vegetables, one serving of dairy, one serving of grain and one serving of meat or meat substitute. Included with the memo was a separate sheet, this one a bill for the cafeteria food Jazlyn was served.

The memo, dated Jan. 27 with the subject line “RE: Healthy Lunches,” was signed by school principal Jackie Samuels and said, while “we welcome students to bring lunches from home … it must be a nutritious, balanced meal with the above requirements. Students, who do not bring a healthy lunch, will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria.”
Bob Barnes, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction, told the McClatchy News Service Thursday that the first preschooler to make headlines just misunderstood her teacher when she thought she was told to ditch her homemade lunch for one from the cafeteria: the cafeteria items were only meant to supplement the food groups missing from the homemade lunch.

“We are not the lunch bag police,” Barnes told McClatchy. “We would never put a child in any type of embarrassing situation. But we are responsible to see that every child gets a nutritious meal.”

North Carolina Mother Diane Zambrano Says Her Daughter‘s Homemade School Lunch Wasn’t Healthy Enough | West Hoke Elementary | TheBlaze.com

:eusa_hand:

Actually, I was looking for a link that had a specific program guidance requiring home brought lunches to be checked for compliance as that is the crux of the problem. If this is the case, it is clearly an overstep of government and a clear nanny state mindset. If it is not the case, then we have something else going on.

As a side note, I think that it is worthy to state that the USDA guidelines are a far cry from anything healthy. I run a daycare and am subject to those guidelines and have been forced quite frequently to substitute healthy items with less healthy items because the guidelines are so specific and unforgiving. I think that the left's support of such concepts would do well to look at what actually happens when you apply an overreaching standard to such a large base with no consideration for each specific case. Not only are the guidelines themselves sometimes asinine but they fail to include many sources of better nutrition over the 'approved' sources. In many cases, I have to forgo healthy handmade meals because of the cost associated and the fact the USDA will not recognize it as an approved source and replace that with an approved, store bought source. The USDA guides also fail miserably in actually working to include things the children will actually eat. Because our daycare is small, it was far easier and better when we customized our daily menu based on what the children in attendance actually were willing to consume rather than matching it to a chart that had no actual children in its implementation. Since the USDA has taken over our meal program, such an option is not on the table unless we implement it illegally. Instead, I must follow menus that are scheduled weeks in advance, approved by a USDA regulator that approved them loosely on guidelines as well as on whatever she wants to at the time, and we must follow that menu religiously. Deviations must be recorded and justified.

Essentially, programs like this rarely actually accomplish the stated goal but cost a lot in not getting it done.

Where did a "teacher" get the idea that they had the "authority" to judge a child's lunch?

That's your mistake Seawytch. You are arguing with people with no common sense. To them logic is an enemy and truth is a menace. Years of scientific research has proven the link between proper nutrition, learning and behavior.

When a town in California removed toys from Happy Meals to stop Mc D's from enticing children to eat corporate pig slop, right wingers went ballistic...NOW, they are telling us that chicken nuggets are corporate pig slop.

As I read all the adolescent right wing replies, it verifies a follow up study done twenty years later of childhood personality. In 1969 Nursery school teachers were asked to rate children's temperaments. They weren't even thinking about political orientation.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics..

I'd appreciate the link to that study, thx!

Forum List

Back