Looking for quick, cheap dinner ideas/recipes...

I have committed to creating weekly menus. I'm on week three and I'm running out of ideas. I want to have 5 weeks, then we can just rotate.

My menus per day usually just have two items; the entree and one side. Spaghetti & salad, meatloaf & potatoes, Oriental Casserole and...well I think that one stands on its own.

I found it yesterday and can't wait to try it. Super simple, I think it will be a hit, SUPER cheap. Cook 4 packets of ramen, add oil, fry some ground turkey, add 2 packets of the seasoning to the meat, add 2 packets of the seasoning (and some frozen mixed veggies) to the noodles, then mix the whole shebang.

I work and I have a daughter learning to cook, so I'm looking for simple, super cheap, not many ingredients. We don't get home until 6 pm or so at night, so I'm not interested in recipes that need all sorts of prep and special ingredients.

So does anyone else rely on a menu to feed their family? I got tired of always having to scramble and never knowing what we were having. I want to have it laid out so we know when we go to school and work what we're going to have that night, and I can make sure we come home with whatever we might need.

Tonight we're having swedish meat balls and carrots. I'm using gr turkey, cream of mushroom soup (I know, I know, but it works for some things) and egg noodles (and sour cream). Carrots are about the cheapest veggie going if you buy the big dirty ones and cut them up. I cook them in the microwave, super easy.

Pears for dessert, but we don't always have dessert.

Our cheap extra quick dinner here, apart from frozen pizza or frozen lasagna, are hamburger steaks.

Use about a third to half pound hamburger if you're hungry--a quarter pound for a small appetite-- throughly mix hamburger with chopped onion, salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe a little optional green chili or some such to taste, form into flattened pattys and pan grill until done. Save a little of the onion to grill/fry alongside the meat and heap on top to garnish the meat when done.

Serve with bagged cole slaw and dressing or a simple salad, maybe a microwaved baked potato or fried potatos or some such, a beverage, and simple dessert. Very fast, easy, inexpensive.

sometimes it is the most simple things that foul us up.....

this is kinda more for adults....

butter garlic....clams....angel hair pasta...french bread

melt the butter put in the clams.....put in sliced garlic and herbs

cook angel hair pasta

drain pour in bowl....pour the clams and butter over the pasta.....

you got a kinda nice adult meal on the cheap

Ill hang on to that one. My guys eat clams.

sometimes it is the most simple things that foul us up.....

this is kinda more for adults....

butter garlic....clams....angel hair pasta...french bread

melt the butter put in the clams.....put in sliced garlic and herbs

cook angel hair pasta

drain pour in bowl....pour the clams and butter over the pasta.....

you got a kinda nice adult meal on the cheap

And kids usually like it too. We call it clam linguini. I usually put a splash of half and half and parmesan cheese, too. But not always.

I dress it up with chopped tomatoes and chopped (you guessed it) green onions.

I have committed to creating weekly menus. I'm on week three and I'm running out of ideas. I want to have 5 weeks, then we can just rotate.

My menus per day usually just have two items; the entree and one side. Spaghetti & salad, meatloaf & potatoes, Oriental Casserole and...well I think that one stands on its own.

I found it yesterday and can't wait to try it. Super simple, I think it will be a hit, SUPER cheap. Cook 4 packets of ramen, add oil, fry some ground turkey, add 2 packets of the seasoning to the meat, add 2 packets of the seasoning (and some frozen mixed veggies) to the noodles, then mix the whole shebang.

I work and I have a daughter learning to cook, so I'm looking for simple, super cheap, not many ingredients. We don't get home until 6 pm or so at night, so I'm not interested in recipes that need all sorts of prep and special ingredients.

So does anyone else rely on a menu to feed their family? I got tired of always having to scramble and never knowing what we were having. I want to have it laid out so we know when we go to school and work what we're going to have that night, and I can make sure we come home with whatever we might need.

Tonight we're having swedish meat balls and carrots. I'm using gr turkey, cream of mushroom soup (I know, I know, but it works for some things) and egg noodles (and sour cream). Carrots are about the cheapest veggie going if you buy the big dirty ones and cut them up. I cook them in the microwave, super easy.

Pears for dessert, but we don't always have dessert.

Our cheap extra quick dinner here, apart from frozen pizza or frozen lasagna, are hamburger steaks.

Use about a third to half pound hamburger if you're hungry--a quarter pound for a small appetite-- throughly mix hamburger with chopped onion, salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe a little optional green chili or some such to taste, form into flattened pattys and pan grill until done. Save a little of the onion to grill/fry alongside the meat and heap on top to garnish the meat when done.

Serve with bagged cole slaw and dressing or a simple salad, maybe a microwaved baked potato or fried potatos or some such, a beverage, and simple dessert. Very fast, easy, inexpensive.

The kids like hamburger patties, and hamburgers. I have them on my menu. Hamburger patties with pork & beans, hamburger patties with mac & cheese (and green beans, usually), hamburger patties with fried potatoes....also hamburger gravy with whatever.

chili over rice......easy, fast with lots of protein....

fried tofu with soy sauce....bok choy on the side

Chili with rice is one of my favs. I also like canned beef stew over rice. I guess rice can make a lot of meals kind of special and it's inexpensive.

Here is a good link to crock pot cooking I found on facebook.

http://savingslifestyle.com/2011/08/crock-pot-girls-site-crockpot-recipes/

They have a recipe for breakfast that you can just cook all night and it's ready in the am. They have a million of 'em.

Last edited:
Love blts...

Another stand-by is chicken fettucini (but you can use any sort of pasta).

Fry two chicken breasts in butter...I usually cut them in the pan as they're cooking, but you can cube them or cut them into strips before you put them in the pan. When they're done, I take them out, add sliced mushrooms, fry them for a while, then add the chicken back in and add half and half and parmesan. Serve over pasta, with tomatoes and green onions.

Or a chicken salad with teriyaki sauce and blue cheese dressing...don't forget the slivered almonds and fried noodles.

chili over rice......easy, fast with lots of protein....

fried tofu with soy sauce....bok choy on the side

Chili with rice is one of my favs. I also like canned beef stew over rice. I guess rice can make a lot of meals kind of special and it's inexpensive.

Here is a good link to crock pot cooking I found on facebook.

They have a recipe for breakfast that you can just cook all night and it's ready in the am. They have a million of 'em.

The actual site is the name.com.

Crock pot girls.

Classical training is great for those who make their living cooking in 5 star restaurants.

And while my ability to cook allows me to spruce up my menu, it really has a small or no place when one is working under a time and money constraint, and feeding young children who think ramen noodles and peanut butter and jelly are God's gifts to Man, and fresh veggies are His punishment...

i dont think a young mother with kids in this economy is concerned with classic cooking...and hell you have a classic hobo pie recipe.....we all do the best we can with what we got....and never forget the lowly biscuit.....add meat and you got a meal

Love blts...

Another stand-by is chicken fettucini (but you can use any sort of pasta).

Fry two chicken breasts in butter...I usually cut them in the pan as they're cooking, but you can cube them or cut them into strips before you put them in the pan. When they're done, I take them out, add sliced mushrooms, fry them for a while, then add the chicken back in and add half and half and parmesan. Serve over pasta, with tomatoes and green onions.

Or a chicken salad with teriyaki sauce and blue cheese dressing...don't forget the slivered almonds and fried noodles.
It sounds to me like your"cheap" just flew out the window.
It must be a genetic/philosophical thing that hunger/desire for good chit easily over comes.
It's much like a pulled pork sandwich.........being the price is right.:eusa_hand:

Well the almonds are probably a no-go for cheap. My kids wouldn't eat it anyway probably. But I certainly like it.

Pulled pork is yummy...and another one the kids aren't crazy for. They don't like the tangy/sweet sauces. It's too much for their palatte.

Another really quick easy and cheap dinner is open faced enchiladas:

You need:
1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
1 can red or green enchilada sauce
1 can Wolf Brand or other good chili with beans
Shredded lettuce
Chopped onion (kids usually prefer sweet)
Chopped tomato
Grated cheese
3 or 4 small corn tortillas per person

Brown 1 lb hamburger
add 1 can red or green enchilada sauce (mild, medium or hot depending on tastes) and 1 can Wolf Brand (our fav) chili with beans and heat to just simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.

While sauce is simmering, chop sweet onion in one small bowl, chop lettuce in one bowl, grate cheese (we prefer cheddar but whatever you like) in one bowl and chop a tomato in one bowl.

Heat oil in small skillet to fairly hot - slip tortilla into hot oil just until it puffs - maybe 4 or 5 seconds - remove to plate, ladle a spoon of the meat sauce mix over it. Repeat until you have 2, 3 or 4 layers of tortillas stacked on the plate. Top stack with liberal amount of shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and onion, with shredded cheese on top. Serve immediately.

Looks classy, expensive, and I've yet to find anybody who didn't like it.

Once everything is ready you can make enchilada plates for 4 or 5 people in 5 minutes if you have somebody adding the veggies while you do the tortilla thing.

You can also use the sauce over the crispy tostata corn chips making a nacho plate if you don't want to mess with the tortillas but the tortillas make a really really good dish.

Last edited:
Oh..and eggs benedict! Poached eggs, english muffins, ham and hollandaise sauce (I use a mix, it's fine).

Yum!

I'm going to have to start week 6...

I am also going to figure out egg foo yung...I mean, it's leftovers with eggs. Like a chinese omelette...and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. The kids will eat it, too.

Egg Foo Yung Recipe | Recipe4Living

Ingredients

• 8 eggs, beaten
  • 1 C. thinly sliced celery
  • 1 C. finely chopped onion
  • 1 C. bean sprouts
  • 1/2 C. diced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/3 C. chopped cooked chicken breast
  • 1/3 C. cooked and crumbled ground beef
  • 1/3 C. chopped cooked pork
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • Sauce:
  • 2 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 1/2 C. hot water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. white sugar
  • 2 Tbs. soy sauce
  • 6 Tbs. cold water
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch

Directions

Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the celery, onion, bean sprouts, mushrooms, chicken, beef, pork, salt and pepper. Mix together. Heat oil in a medium skillet or wok and brown egg mixture 1/2 C. at a time. When all of the mixture is browned, set aside.

To Make Sauce: Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water in a small saucepan; add sugar and soy sauce and blend well over medium heat. Add cold water and cornstarch and stir until thick and smooth.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Only I wouldn't put in ground beef or chicken, I don't think... Probably just a little bbq pork that you buy already cooked...

New Topics

Forum List

Back