Looking for quick, cheap dinner ideas/recipes...

Salisbury Steak:

ground beef
canned beef broth (au jous)
bread crumbs
egg
onion
worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
pepper

Make the meat mixture with gr beef, egg, cracker or bread crumbs, a little soy, a little worcestershire, a little garlic (whoops forgot that in the recipe) and a little chopped onion. Form into patties, fry until brown.

Pour beef stock or au jous into pan with patties, and allow to simmer until the patties are completely cooked. Take the patties out. Thicken the juice with corn starch, put the patties back in and heat through...

Pretty easy, pretty yummy. I would think it would work with ground turkey or a mixture of ground turkey and beef burger...

these are good. serve with noodles. you can use the cheaper cuts of pork chops and it makes no difference. about 10 mins prep and 45-hour cook time. my kids always liked them.
6 pork chops or 6 pork steaks
salt and pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 garlic clove
1 bay leaf
1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 cup sour cream (optional)
oil or cooking spray

Thickening
1 cup water
2 tablespoons flour
Directions:

Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper.
Sear chops in large skillet in oil or cooking spray.
Remove chops to a plate.
Sauté onions and garlic in drippings until onion is limp.
Return chops to the skillet with broth, bay leaf, and paprika.
Cover tightly and simmer about 1 hour.
Remove chops from liquid again.
Mix water and flour in a shaker and whisk into liquid.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Stir in sour cream, if desired.
Return chops to gravy.

Read more: Hungarian Pork Chops Recipe - Food.com - 36538

There's also chicken fricassee...at least what we called fricassee....I have since learned that fricassee usually have (gasp) veggies in it.

Not the way mom made it!

Fried chicken (dredge with flour, fry until brown)

Place fried chicken pieces in a casserole, cake pan, or chicken fryer.

Add water or chicken broth.

Cover and bake until the meat will come off the bone.

Hey look, a Snickers Salad!

SNICKERS® BAR SALAD
Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - SNICKERS® Bar Salad
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 lg. instant vanilla pudding
8 to 12 oz. Cool hip
4 to 5 SNICKERS® bars
5 to 6 diced apples
3 to 4 sliced bananas

Use 1 1/2 cups milk to pudding and mix until creamy. Add Cool Whip. Add SNICKERS® (cut in pieces). Add fruit to mixture. Serves 8-12.

Lol!
Cooks.com - Recipe - SNICKERS® Bar Salad

I read something recently...it had to do with the woman who was accosted with a frozen possum...apparently they carry some horrific disease, but I can't remember what it is.

One of the cheap snack foods I like is fry bread:

Flour
Yeast
shorening/butter or lard

Butter, jam, honey, molasses to serve.
Or you can make an Indian Taco, but that's not a snack, it's a meal.

2 packets of yeast

Heat up about a cup of water
Melt some shortening, salt and just a tsp or so of sugar in it
mix in yeast

about 2 C of flour
1/8 c of shortening or whatever (oil works too)
mix that up

mix everything together, you want a fairly soft dough

Heat oil

make flat dough discs of fairly uneven thickness, drop in oil, brown on one side then the other...

Serve with butter and whatever. Yum.

There's also chicken fricassee...at least what we called fricassee....I have since learned that fricassee usually have (gasp) veggies in it.

Not the way mom made it!

When we were really, really poor, my mom used to hardboil six eggs, dice them up, and stir them into cream of mushroom soup, served over toast.

Here's what I made tonight:

Black-eyed peas and rice:

Chop up half a package of bacon, and fry it (I go to Safeway and by meat from the "REDUCED" bin). There's always some bacon that's 50% off.

Sautee a diced onion with the bacon

Add (1 can/person) blackeyed peas ( about $1 each)

Simmer for an hour, salt, pepper.

eat over rice.

Soul Food

Not the way mom made it!

When we were really, really poor, my mom used to hardboil six eggs, dice them up, and stir them into cream of mushroom soup, served over toast.

My mom made ground beef with tomato and mushroom soups. Over rice, potatoes, or just bread. Add a veg, good.

Not the way mom made it!

My mom made ground beef with tomato and mushroom soups. Over rice, potatoes, or just bread. Add a veg, good.

This was during the lean years, when they couldn't afford ground beef.

Not the way mom made it!

Get a slow cooker

Pork Shoulder/Bottle of BBQ sauce

Set on low for 8 hours thenGet out the Hamburger buns

This was during the lean years, when they couldn't afford ground beef.

We were not wealthy by any means. That woman could make a pound of ground beef go far.

so I made the swedish meatballs and the kids liked them. Well one kid did. The other one will be whining tonight. He's way too picky, and he's lost weight recently because if it, I won't let him stuff himself on pb&j when I put thought and effort into dinner. He can eat it or be hungry, I guess.

Anyway...

Egg noodles, boiled in salted water & drained.

I used 1/2 pork sausage, 1/2 ground turkey
1 egg
about 1/8 cup bread crumbs
A few shakes of parmesan
salt
pepper
garlic

Heated up oil and made balls (they were very soft, not very round)
Fried them pretty brown to hold them together, then rolled them in the pan to get all the sides brown

I let the pan cool some with the meatballs in it and cut up some carrots and put them in the microwave, then added 1 can of cr of mushroom soup and about 1/2 can of milk, and put back on low heat, heated through.

Mixed it with the noodles...suprisingly good.

Served with diced pears (I didn't know they were diced) I picked up at grocery outlet for like $.50. I still have a half pound of turkey and half a roll of sausage, and lots of leftover meatballs and noodles for my lunch tomorrow.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I have committed to creating weekly menus. I'm on week three and I'm running out of ideas. I want to have 5 weeks, then we can just rotate.

My menus per day usually just have two items; the entree and one side. Spaghetti & salad, meatloaf & potatoes, Oriental Casserole and...well I think that one stands on its own.

I found it yesterday and can't wait to try it. Super simple, I think it will be a hit, SUPER cheap. Cook 4 packets of ramen, add oil, fry some ground turkey, add 2 packets of the seasoning to the meat, add 2 packets of the seasoning (and some frozen mixed veggies) to the noodles, then mix the whole shebang.

I work and I have a daughter learning to cook, so I'm looking for simple, super cheap, not many ingredients. We don't get home until 6 pm or so at night, so I'm not interested in recipes that need all sorts of prep and special ingredients.

So does anyone else rely on a menu to feed their family? I got tired of always having to scramble and never knowing what we were having. I want to have it laid out so we know when we go to school and work what we're going to have that night, and I can make sure we come home with whatever we might need.

Tonight we're having swedish meat balls and carrots. I'm using gr turkey, cream of mushroom soup (I know, I know, but it works for some things) and egg noodles (and sour cream). Carrots are about the cheapest veggie going if you buy the big dirty ones and cut them up. I cook them in the microwave, super easy.

Pears for dessert, but we don't always have dessert.

Just the two of you?

OK... you need to do a big Sunday dinner that will have some left overs to use in a dinners during the week.

Roast or poach (save liquid to cook with) a whole...or two whole chickens for more left overs. Roast a pork shoulder. With the left overs you can make.

tacos
pasta with some meat
Sandwiches
Soup
salad

New Topics

Forum List

Back