Lollapalooza Canceled Due to Poor Sales

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
NEW YORK - The Lollapalooza music festival tour has been canceled because of poor ticket sales, according to its Web site.

The tour, featuring Morrissey, Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips, had been set to begin July 14 in Auburn, Wash., and continue through August, including stops in Toronto, New York, Atlanta and Dallas.

Tour organizers and concert promoters "faced with several million dollars of losses, made the very tough decision to pull the tour," the Web site said Tuesday.

The Web site said there had been "poor ticket sales across the board."

"My heart aches along with the bands, and all of our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting and important tours that this nation was to see," festival co-founder Perry Farrell (news) said in a statement. "My heart is broken."

The two-day, traveling hippielike music festival that began in 1991 took a hiatus in 1997 and returned last year.

"In real terms, it's been a tough summer," said Alex Hodges, executive vice president of HOB Concerts. "Ticket sales have been mixed and often inexplicably soft. There are a number of contributing factors, and, as a result, many tours have been cut back, rerouted or canceled."

Ticket holders will be given full refunds, the Web site said.

Link

That's a damn shame. Weren't we discussing Morrissey a little while back. Seems no one really cares to listen to him.

'Revolution Solution'

As part of its summer tour, Lollapalooza this year planned to offer what it called a "Revolution Solution," which the website described as a non-partisan political campaign, conducted in partnership with "the influential grassroots political network, MoveOn.org."

According to the website, the Revolution Solution "challenges Americans young and old to take charge of their own future through vigorous, well-informed involvement in the political process."

Farrell said the Revolution Solution would be an "integral" part of the Lollapalooze festivities.

"A number of diverse - but undeniably interconnected - concerns will be addressed, including renewable energy and the environment; artistic expression, free speech, and media deregulation; unemployment and the quest for sustainable jobs; workers rights and world trade issues; voting rights (including the push for making Election Day a national holiday); the state of public education; partisan politics and its effect on modern discourse," he said on the website.

Lollapalooza organizers said a "MoveOn.org-Revolution Solution tent" would be at every concert on the summer tour, to distribute information, promote voter registration, and collect web addresses for the development of a major e-mailing list."

MoveOn.org also planned to have video screens on either side of the concert's main stage, to show "a wide range of media," including some of its "acclaimed commercials," Some of those ads portray President Bush as the "Misleader."

"With the addition of the Revolution Solution, Lollapalooza 2004 will stand as the most significant merging of popular music and political activism in history," Farrell said.

Link

-------------------------------------------------
which the website described as a non-partisan political campaign, conducted in partnership with "the influential grassroots political network, MoveOn.org."

Non-partisan?? WTF!

Hahaha good! Perry Farrell is an idiot freak. Guess Morrissey isn't such a good draw anymore considering he's anti-American much like Farrell.

Hold on there!

Morrissey is an anti-Semite and racist.

Perry Farrell is a Jew and race-mixer.

Just so we're clear...

I've got my vote on which one is better, but, you are all free to choose yourself.

"Evil people, prosper over the likes of you and me always..."

-Morrissey

i dont really care whether they do the tour or not. i wouldnt pay to watch them either way. Id prefer real music.

But i am curious. how exactly was it a tough decision to cancel the tour if they were going to lose millions of dollars over it? i would have thought it would be a very easy decision!

How can they even call this non partisan without totally cracking up?!!!!! What a bunch of idiots-none of them sound like crowd pleasers to me. I love how they try to diguise it as non partisan to the young crowd that listen to them and probably know no better. The world is a better place now that they have cancelled the festival of freaks.

Mostly its because of the terrible lineup. My liberal friends said they werent going because it all sucked. Instead we're seeing Incubus and other bands that leave the political Bull at the stage entrance.

I'm glad to see something sponsored by Moveon.org fail though. Im sure that had a contributing factor in the sales somewhat.

Forum List

Back