Live From New York

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
This book is a history of Saturday Night Live told through interviews with most of the more famous cast and crew members, as well as hosts and of course Lorne Michaels.

The book was pretty good. The majority of it wasn't anything too relevatory (the Chevy Chase/Jon Belushi cast did lots of drugs backstage? You lie!), but it was still entertaining. I was a little blown away that Lorne Michaels himself was so into drugs back in the 70's. The writing process was interesting to read about, they actually write almost all of the show in one night (they start around 6 PM on Tuesday night and write until the next morning). I also wasn't aware there were two instances where they said the F-word on live tv (and one of them was actually planned).

Overall, it's an interesting read if you have an interest in SNL, but if you don't, you probably won't care.

Originally posted by Dan
This book is a history of Saturday Night Live told through interviews with most of the more famous cast and crew members, as well as hosts and of course Lorne Michaels.

The book was pretty good. The majority of it wasn't anything too relevatory (the Chevy Chase/Jon Belushi cast did lots of drugs backstage? You lie!), but it was still entertaining. I was a little blown away that Lorne Michaels himself was so into drugs back in the 70's. The writing process was interesting to read about, they actually write almost all of the show in one night (they start around 6 PM on Tuesday night and write until the next morning). I also wasn't aware there were two instances where they said the F-word on live tv (and one of them was actually planned).

Overall, it's an interesting read if you have an interest in SNL, but if you don't, you probably won't care.

I grew up on the early days of SNL and loved them (hey look everybody, Johnny's buzzin off! ewe.... there's honey on the sheets!).

I don't watch it much any more though. It has just become a bastian for Bush bashing. I do enjoy MadTV these days though... kinda immature like SNL use to be and that is what makes it funny!

I might pick up the book myself. thanks for the heads-up!

Forum List

Back