The Future of Freedom / The Art of Political War

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
If you like economic/political analysis, "The Future of Freedom" is the book for you!

I am not finished, but the author, Fareed Zakaria, is brilliant.

The book explains the difference between democracies and liberalism, etc. He really gets into explaining how liberal societies and, what he calls, illiberal societies, have formed over the centuries. He discusses the dangers of TRUE democracy (one man, one vote) and such and it is an interesting but sometimes tiring read (he uses a lot of big words :confused: ).

Another good book I just finished is "The Art of Political War". It is written by David Horowitz - a 60's radical leftie turned conservative guru. The book covers how the conservatives lose elections because we are too logical and we don't know how to "fight dirty".

Both books are an interesting read no matter which side of the aisle you align yourself.

Horowitz is good Very deep though. I read Left Illusions last month by him and i was like dang. this guy knows what he is talking about he was one of them.

Yes he is.... I have not read the book you mentioned, but I will. I am going to try and read more of his books. I understnd "Hating Whitey" is also a good one to read.....

If you liked Horowitz, I really have to strongly recommend you read the "Future of Freedom". As I have read more of the book, I have become more intrigued by it. Zakaria really knows what he is talking about.

I am almost finished with it and towards the end he gets into his theory (and I believe he is right) on what has caused the collapse of the US system. Many would not agree with him, but I do. His theory is that the US has become too DEMOCRATIC! He is right. We have opened our system up too much and this has allowed special interests to take over. Another really good read if you are into politics and political systems.

The Future of Freedom was indeed an excellent read, and again, Fareed Zakaria makes a series of very concise and worthy observations of the American political system. His insight into other nations is just as appealing and informative though, because its a lesson that has been lost on both Democratic and Republican administrations in the past. You can not just thrust democracy onto people and expect them to run with it like champions. The rule of law must be applied, understood and respected by a nation's denizens first.

This has been shown to great success in different cultures all over the world, such as Chile, South Korea and Romania. Granted, nothing is perfect and the fact these nations endured brutal dictatorships is not a positive one, but in the end, events worked out for the benefit of the people.

Forum List

Back