Listen!

A lot of young people are not prepared for the harshness of the real world I think. We're so sensitivity and feeling focused that they grow up about as resilient as glass. A person should have a little bit of wisdom and life experience by the time they turn 18. Maybe not a lot, but some. A lot of them don't though, seems like, and I think it's because they've lived bubble wrapped childhoods where they're coddled and mostly deal with other people digitally. They're developmentally behind when it comes to their emotional state and social skills.
My students are about as far from bubble wrapped as it gets.

It appears to me that today's kids are taught that their opinions have value, and if they are not taken seriously that is the fault of others.

But on most serious subjects, young people are ignorant...literally, they have no knowledge. So their opinions are based on scraps of factoids that they get from a hundred different sources, most of which are full of shit.

If they want to talk about things that are personal in their lives, then of course they know more than any outsider, but is this the sort of thing that is appropriate for class time? I think not. Maybe personal counseling after school or at other times, but that's not what public education is supposed to be about. It is about imparting knowledge and an ability to sort through information from various sources to figure out what is reliable. It is about being able to take your knowledge and use it constructively to figure out how to live and to interact with others.

I never had a teacher or even a counselor ask or care about my home life, which was fine with me. Why would they? Not their job.

If they want to talk about things that are personal in their lives, then of course they know more than any outsider, but is this the sort of thing that is appropriate for class time? ....
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes it's how you make other information pertinent and relatable for students.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes it's how you make other information pertinent and relatable for students.
Absolutely not.
I would not trust a person I do not know, and only met a couple times to talk to my child about personal matters that can shape their opinions that can greatly affect their young lives.
We have way-way too much of this now in higher learning.
Kids going into college with a loose set of opinions on things, coming out like zombies all thinking the same thing. FFS - look at Ivy League schools. They are all virtually ruined and in shambles, more into producing brain washed social warriors than productive members of society.
All of this damaged caused by leftist professors and DEI boards.

Absolutely not.
Believe it or not, it's true. A lot of young people are eager to talk about things when no one will listen to them anywhere else. You can't press too much, but you can't dismiss their life experiences.

Believe it or not, it's true. A lot of young people are eager to talk about things when no one will listen to them anywhere else. You can't press too much, but you can't dismiss their life experiences.
Not your job.
A teacher can be a critical value to a young child in their personal lives, by being a possible witness/identifier of a child with a very troubled life, such as abuse etc. It is only your job to inform trained individuals, not your job to discuss anything of the sort.
I am not suggesting that teachers should never listen to a child's opinions, of course not. That is a critical part of teaching isn't it? But it is critical only in the sense for you to identify what they are thinking that is wrong, and attempt to correct that. It is your job to teach curriculum. Not your job to teach them about personal matters. That is categorically not your job. No one person should EVER have that position of influence other than a parent.
And yes, there are plenty of bad parents. A whole fucking coliseum of them. And then what they are influenced by the most, social media, is even worse. The whole situation is a veritable nightmare.
But a teacher is not the answer to who should be "listening and discussing personal matters".
If I have taken your meaning wrong - then by all means correct me.

Bullshit.
Facts are facts.

You never see a school shut down to protest abortion, it is always Left wing lunatic fantasies like a gun free world or climate change or supporting Hamas who all have guns.

Sheer insanity.

How about you?
I didn't make the thread and put myself out there.
You show very well how you react to a differing opinion than your own - you strike out with cursing and insults.
Making my point quite well that you are not fit to be the one to be helping teens working out issues.

I didn't make the thread and put myself out there.
You show very well how you react to a differing opinion than your own - you strike out with cursing and insults.
Making my point quite well that you are not fit to be the one to be helping teens working out issues.
In other words, you have no fucking idea what you're trying to talk about.

In other words, you have no fucking idea what you're trying to talk about.
In other words you make random insults and remarks that have no basis, merit and only seek to deflect.
Like a lot of teachers I have known... you can't hack the real world, so you teach.

In other words you make random insults and remarks that have no basis, merit and only seek to deflect.
Like a lot of teachers I have known... you can't hack the real world, so you teach.
Wrong again, stupid.

The idea of academically productive discussion in class is always held as a laudable goal, but it can be easier said than done. Many teens are sullen, reticent, and pathologically self-conscious. Getting such kids to participate in class discussions can be tough. What I have frequently found to be effective? LISTEN. So many kids have told me that no one ever actually bothered to listen to them that when someone actually does, it turns out they have a lot to say. I reckon this applies to most people in most circumstances.

They have a lot to say when someone will listen.
I get that in the context of everyday life.

I mean in the context of a academically productive conversation in the classroom.

Aren’t there just some kids who are not going to participate in that no matter what

Forum List

Back