Limit what foodstamps are able to buy?

the point of the thread is to open a dialogue about the dole and the benefits .
If we tax payers are going to be asked to pay these taxes, we aught have a say on the waste.
I dont want a nanny state .
I want grown ups in charge, not premises enablers sucking up for votes

You have no say in how people choose to live their lives, nor should you. If you think the money going into food stamps is being wasted, then you need to campaign to have the program itself limited or eliminated, not try to use it to micromanage people's lives. The solution is to BACK AWAY from being involved, not get in even further.

Bingo. The emphasis should be on who is and how they, qualified. Once that is set, none of your bees wax.

Fine they are buying blueray disks and bigscreens now.

Already limited. Question? Have you received food stamps and can you tell us with authority what you could buy? Or is this more knee jerk whining cause you can?

I work in retail.

I've never recieved food stamp but I have worked retail. Ask your boss exactly how much does the store make off of food stamps, cashing welfare checks, SSI/Social Security checks and WIC. The store owner makes more money off the taxpayer than anyone on welfare has ever madem especially if you add all the local/state/federal tax breaks, credits, grants and loans.

Reguardless what you think, Wal-Mart and you local grocer in short, Big Business makes more money off of social programs than the people do. Want to solve it? Increase corprate tax 250% for american companies who outsource, create or fund jobs overseas and make it 100% Tax free if they create, fund and PRODUCE jobs and good here in the USA. Raise terrifs on all foreign goods 50% and raise corprate tax on foreign companies that operate in the USA by 50% . Replace all social programs with a job training and placement program. Once they have a job, they're off the government tit for good.

Already limited. Question? Have you received food stamps and can you tell us with authority what you could buy? Or is this more knee jerk whining cause you can?

I work in retail.

I've never recieved food stamp but I have worked retail. Ask your boss exactly how much does the store make off of food stamps, cashing welfare checks, SSI/Social Security checks and WIC. The store owner makes more money off the taxpayer than anyone on welfare has ever madem especially if you add all the local/state/federal tax breaks, credits, grants and loans.

Reguardless what you think, Wal-Mart and you local grocer in short, Big Business makes more money off of social programs than the people do. Want to solve it? Increase corprate tax 250% for american companies who outsource, create or fund jobs overseas and make it 100% Tax free if they create, fund and PRODUCE jobs and good here in the USA. Raise terrifs on all foreign goods 50% and raise corprate tax on foreign companies that operate in the USA by 50% . Replace all social programs with a job training and placement program. Once they have a job, they're off the government tit for good.

Bravo!:clap2:

Isn't putting limits on what they can "buy" with food stamps encouraging them to get off the dole? We make it way to easy to sit on you ass and collect free food money and rent.

Perhaps if we limit it to only really healthy food they would find the energy to get off the couch and work for their junk food?

How about grocery stores for Welfare Recipients only? Nothing stocked in them except what can be purchased via foodstamps.
Having food stamp only stores will reduce the usage. Even with EBT cards, there is stigma associated with food stamps.

You realize that even though you're right they'll never admit it, right?

How about grocery stores for Welfare Recipients only? Nothing stocked in them except what can be purchased via foodstamps.
Having food stamp only stores will reduce the usage. Even with EBT cards, there is stigma associated with food stamps.

You realize that even though you're right they'll never admit it, right?

Soylent Green is people!!!

I work in retail.

What a FANTASTIC idea! Let's raise taxes exponentially on retail stores, so that they raise their prices exponentially, and we reduce the standard of living for the poor and middle-class, just so that YOU can be vindictive and feel like you've "stuck it to Big Business". And oh, hey, even better, let's make their products even more expensive and harder to find, so that only rich people can afford the things that, right now, nearly everyone in the country takes for granted. Because all that REALLY matters is satisfying YOUR class envy.

For someone who claims to have worked in retail, you sure are ignorant of how it works beyond the cashier-and-bag-boy level.

Isn't putting limits on what they can "buy" with food stamps encouraging them to get off the dole? We make it way to easy to sit on you ass and collect free food money and rent.

Perhaps if we limit it to only really healthy food they would find the energy to get off the couch and work for their junk food?

No. You think it's not already a monumental pain in the ass to be on welfare? If so, you've obviously been lucky enough not to have had to deal with a lot of government bureaucracies in your life. Which is not to say that there aren't still people who would rather jump through those hoops than get a job.

All you're really suggesting is making life a lot more difficult - and the program more expensive for the taxpayer - in order to satisfy your own desire to "punish" welfare recipients.

Limit or eliminate the program in general. Don't use it as an excuse to make our government even more intrusive and Big Brother-ish. This country really needs to learn to mind its own business more.

I work in retail.

The hassle of WIC and ebt is a money loser , the 6 cent on the dollar we make is the same without regard to the source.
You are an ass talker for lackof a better term, sorry.

No. You think it's not already a monumental pain in the ass to be on welfare? If so, you've obviously been lucky enough not to have had to deal with a lot of government bureaucracies in your life. Which is not to say that there aren't still people who would rather jump through those hoops than get a job.

All you're really suggesting is making life a lot more difficult - and the program more expensive for the taxpayer - in order to satisfy your own desire to "punish" welfare recipients.

Limit or eliminate the program in general. Don't use it as an excuse to make our government even more intrusive and Big Brother-ish. This country really needs to learn to mind its own business more.

How our tax money is wasted is our business.
Limiting what can be bought maybe a step in eliminating the program.
I asked a woman how long she had had her card she said 17 years.
Long enough to grow fat as a cow, and have several fat children .

How our tax money is wasted is our business.
Limiting what can be bought maybe a step in eliminating the program.
I asked a woman how long she had had her card she said 17 years.
Long enough to grow fat as a cow, and have several fat children .

"How our tax money is wasted" is when it is collected and put into social programs, not when the recipients go shopping. At that point, it is no longer YOUR money; it's theirs.

Furthermore, as I think someone else said, whatever type of food people buy with their food stamps changes your tax liability for that program not in the slightest. The American taxpayer will be paying exactly the same amount for it either way. Quite simply, it's just trying to control other people's diets because you want to punish them for being on welfare, without doing a thing that helps or even affects the taxpayers who are your pretext for venting your vindictiveness.

Im all for cutting them off completely .
Since that isnt going to happen and they are spending money that the government is borrowing,

as citizens we get to steer the government in the directions that we believe is sensible .
If we are going to have the poor, they are going to be skinny and uncomfortable.
Confiscating their ipods xboxes cars and TV and air jordans and auctioning them off sounds like a a good idea as well.
Feathering their beds doesnt seem to be working.

... as citizens we get to steer the government in the directions that we believe is sensible.

But, as a constitutionally limited institution, we can only steer it to do certain things. Majority rule only goes so far.

Just because we CAN steer the government to do something doesn't mean we SHOULD.

True, but everyone has different 'shoulds'. The whole point of constitutional democracy is to limit the extent to which people can force their 'shoulds' on others.

Just because we CAN steer the government to do something doesn't mean we SHOULD.

True, but everyone has different 'shoulds'. The whole point of constitutional democracy is to limit the extent to which people can force their 'shoulds' on others.

And tax payers should not be forced to pay for junk food, they arent allowed to buy beer or cigarettes why m&ms and pringles.
thet cant by socks or dental floss with food stamps, but with EBT money anything goes including booze & lap dances .

cant wait to get this plan here

THOUSANDS of people are enjoying luxury Mercedes and BMW cars provided free by the taxpayer in a vast scam.
The £1.4 billion-a-year Motability scheme supplying cars for the disabled is being abused by claimants' friends and relatives.
A disabled person can nominate someone to drive them around, and rules state the Motability car must not be used for any other purpose.
But few checks are made, and thousands of nominated drivers use the vehicles for their own benefit.
Someone receiving higher rate disability living allowance can use the £51.40-a-week impaired mobility payment to lease a car such as a £12,140 Ford Zetec.
Upgrade

But with a £2,000 deposit they can upgrade to a new £22,695 BMW 3-Series saloon.
Insurance, servicing, breakdown help and replacement tyres are free.

A third of the 580,000 Motability cars on the road are registered with nominated drivers.
A probe found car dealers telling relatives they can use Motability cars for personal commuting, family trips and holidays - in clear breach of the rules.
One dealer told The Sun: "Disabled people genuinely need these cars and many rely on nominated drivers, but there are many clear abuses.
"I see healthy young men laughing as they pick top-of-the-range cars and no one ever checks.
"The scam has gone unchecked for years because it helped push up sales. The only people losing out are the taxpayers ripped off to the tune of millions of pounds."

Read more: Free BMWs for pals of disabled in scam | The Sun |News

A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars. He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it.
How much did he have to hand over to the IRS ? I'm guessing 500-600 grand. Let him keep the stamps.

Doungnuts cake chips gum candy soda ?
junkfoodjunky.jpg

Should these "entitlements be limited to nutritional food to stretch the tax payers investment?
Can you believe 7 years later they are still debating this?

Food Stamps For Soda: Time To End Billion-Dollar Subsidy For Sugary Drinks?

According to a 2016 report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, sweetened beverages, including soda, are among the most commonly purchased items by recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — or SNAP.

SNAP households spend about 10 percent of food dollars on sugary drinks, which is about three times more than the amount they spend on milk. In New York City alone, as we've reported, this translates into more than $75 million in sugary drink purchases each year that are subsidized by U.S. taxpayers.

However, since taxpayers foot the roughly $70 billion bill for SNAP each year, critics question whether it makes sense to support the purchase of sugary drinks, which have been shown to play a significant role in weight gain and the onset of Type 2 diabetes.

The only possible reason we do this is because of the Coca Cola lobby.

One would incentivize the purchase of healthy foods, by offering a 30 percent subsidy for people to buy such things as fruits and vegetables, nuts, whole grains and fish. "People could still buy less healthy foods, but they'd get 30 percent less for their dollars,"

This approach may also help counter critics who argue that SNAP recipients should have the freedom to make their own dietary choices. With this approach, "we would preserve choice, but nudge people towards healthier eating,"

Rector says he would support a simpler approach: preventing the use of SNAP benefits to purchase sugary drinks and junk food items. "This would be much easier to implement," Rector says.

I actually agree with Republicans on this. No pops on foodstamps. Only healthy foods that will keep them alive. No coca cola or mountain dews.

Forum List

Back