Limit what foodstamps are able to buy?

How to enforce it if the store doesn't take the initiative?

How to determine exactly what qualifies?
Several states have tried to exclude or implement spending limits on junk food, but the federal government has never granted the waiver because of the cost to create a system that can weed out junk food.

Thats a excuse another law one more regulation , its a few keys strokes one more unfunded mandate . they dont want to offend the base.

If we the tax payers are going to carry the burden of feeding those unable or on willing to to feed themselves we have the right to say what they cannot spend the gifts cards on.

lastnight 2 white one black young $ 348 .00 2 liter bottles of pepsi mountiandew some others every bottle in the store.
EBT card.

A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars. He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it.

Doungnuts cake chips gum candy soda ?
junkfoodjunky.jpg

Should these "entitlements be limited to nutritional food to stretch the tax payers investment?

They're already limited ya bozo. Why do you care anyway, maybe we should pay those incentives to big oil and big insurance in food stamps.. Wonder what kind of stuff they get to buy..

We go down a slippery slope of health facism when we let the goverment decide which foods are nuitritious enough, don't you think?

Okay here's your foodstamps...you can now only buy TOFU and sprrouts with it because we're decided those are the only foods that are good enough for you.

I fully appreciate the frustration some of you feel about how food suppliment money is being spent.

But the solution some of you propose could easily become worse than the disease you are seeking to remedy.

How to enforce it if the store doesn't take the initiative?

How to determine exactly what qualifies?
Several states have tried to exclude or implement spending limits on junk food, but the federal government has never granted the waiver because of the cost to create a system that can weed out junk food.

typical progressivism nonsense, it just another unfunded mandate.the system is in place already for alcohol and smokes.

We go down a slippery slope of health facism when we let the goverment decide which foods are nuitritious enough, don't you think?

Okay here's your foodstamps...you can now only buy TOFU and sprrouts with it because we're decided those are the only foods that are good enough for you.

I fully appreciate the frustration some of you feel about how food suppliment money is being spent.

But the solution some of you propose could easily become worse than the disease you are seeking to remedy.
Taxing the people to death is a form of fascism already.

Taxing the people to death is a form of fascism already.

In the general case, taxing people to death is the hallmark of Collectivism of all flavors.

How about grocery stores for Welfare Recipients only? Nothing stocked in them except what can be purchased via foodstamps.
Having food stamp only stores will reduce the usage. Even with EBT cards, there is stigma associated with food stamps.

junkfoodjunky.jpg

Should these "entitlements be limited to nutritional food to stretch the tax payers investment?

Ohh I agree, foodstamps sould not be used for sodas, candy, prepared pastries (like honeybuns, etc).

They used to be that way till the grocers and snack food industires lobbies changed things.

junkfoodjunky.jpg

Ohh I agree, foodstamps sould not be used for sodas, candy, prepared pastries (like honeybuns, etc).

They used to be that way till the grocers and snack food industires lobbies changed things.
Several times various groups as well as a couple of states have discussed this with the food stamp people. The problem lies in defining junk food. Do you exclude by content, salt, fat, sugar, too much carbohydrates, too little protein, or do you exclude by brand name. If you exclude by food content, you will exclude good foods. If you exclude by brand, then you're fighting ever food processor in the country which of course would have big politically overtones.

junkfoodjunky.jpg

I agree. Food stamps should be limited to certain foods just like wic. All junk/treat foods should be off the list. If they want treats and candy and extras, they can damn well work for the money.

junkfoodjunky.jpg

Several times various groups as well as a couple of states have discussed this with the food stamp people. The problem lies in defining junk food. Do you exclude by content, salt, fat, sugar, too much carbohydrates, too little protein, or do you exclude by brand name. If you exclude by food content, you will exclude good foods. If you exclude by brand, then you're fighting ever food processor in the country which of course would have big politically overtones.

It would be easier to tell them what they CAN get, not what they cant.

It would be easier to tell them what they CAN get, not what they cant.

Food stamps should only be used for FOOD. None of the stuff in the picture actually qualifies as Real Food, if one reads the labels.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the people who use food stamp benefits. I see Moms in the food stores with their children buying chips and sodas and candy, but I see them buying milk and bread and meat as well.
I don't feel it's any of my business to wonder how they are using their benefits, I know people abuse the system, but I have other things to worry about.
I will say tho, in my opinion, I really think families who are on the food stamp program should be allowed to purchase some non-food items, because there are some in that category that are a necessity.
Items like toilet tissue, shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, toothpaste- those items are very much needed and if they take away the candy and chips and soda to those on food stamps, they should allow them to purchase the needed non-food items.

Forum List

Back