Limey's

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

Scurvy was the scourge of sailors for thousands of years. An estimated 2 million sailors died of the diseaseFinding the Cure for Scurvy article on the US Naval Institute website between the 16th and 18th centuries alone, often decimating entire ship crews.

Scurvy is a dietary deficiency caused by a lack of vitamin C. The body does not naturally make vitamin C, so it has to come from foods rich in the vitamin such as citrus or from dietary supplements. Before modern refrigeration, sailors on long voyages relied mostly on salted or nonperishable food and had no regular access to fresh green vegetables or fruits that contain the vitamin.

Limey, of course, in one of the popular clichés Americans (British and French descendants) use in debates. But the article is an interesting read.

Long story short, I was reading an article and scurvy still exists today, so looking into vitamin C deficiency, I found the above article.

The bit that stood out where I laughed out loud was -

The U.S. Navy continued to struggle with scurvy into the 19th century even though the Royal Navy cracked the mystery of the disease in the 18th century thanks to surgeon James Lind. The British began storing citrus fruits on board all of its ships. The British Navy gave its sailors limes or lemon juice rations to ward off scurvy – earning them the nickname of "Limeys" among the American sailors who didn't know about or believe in the preventative treatment.

Why did I laugh?

Yeah but we made up for it later in dentistry. ;)

The reason why I laughed was because American sailors honestly believed they were ridiculing and poking fun at the Royal Navy sailors. But their retardness and dumbness meant they continued to die whilst the British were enjoying a cure.

As for dentistry, Brits spend more on oral hygiene, they generally have a natural colour to their teeth. Those suffering vanity, Americans, get their teeth veneered in the brightest white plastic and spend less on oral hygiene.

Thank you for the double laughter, American sailors poking fun at Limeys, and Americans poking fun at dentistry.

The reason why I laughed was because American sailors honestly believed they were ridiculing and poking fun at the Royal Navy sailors. But their retardness and dumbness meant they continued to die whilst the British were enjoying a cure.

As for dentistry, Brits spend more on oral hygiene, they generally have a natural colour to their teeth. Those suffering vanity, Americans, get their teeth veneered in the brightest white plastic and spend less on oral hygiene.

Thank you for the double laughter, American sailors poking fun at Limeys, and Americans poking fun at dentistry.
LOL....Enjoy your "natural" Jack-O-Lantern smiles. :laughing0301:

OIP.2mMWtOLcVqbRZCM-uX3A_wHaEK

So you are a brit, huh?

Sorry ‘bout that

The Mother Country used to be the greatest country in the world

But sadly, no more

You are now the has-beens of history

LOL....Enjoy your "natural" Jack-O-Lantern smiles. :laughing0301:

OIP.2mMWtOLcVqbRZCM-uX3A_wHaEK
I read an article years ago, you are probably unlikely to get a loan in the US if you don't have fake white plastic teeth, I kid you not :laughing0301:

As for American sailors, now you can see why the British colonies need the French navy, lol.

So you are a brit, huh?

Sorry ‘bout that

The Mother Country used to be the greatest country in the world

But sadly, no more

You are now the has-beens of history
Unless you're Hispanic, which most of America is, you're simply the descendant of the British. The US has-never-been. Look who's incharge now, a paedophile !!

Sailors used to plant fruit trees when they landed on uncharted islands. To leave a legacy for shipwrecked seamen,
Many "beirish" sailors were actually from America or other countries.

Forum List

Back