Lights Out: Has Ted Koppel Become a 'Rightwing' Survivalist?

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Koppel: Cyberattack on the grid could devastate U.S. - CNN Video

What prompted you to write a book about the risks and consequences of a cyberattack on the nation's power grid?

I had just read an article on a major power outage and realized I was totally unprepared for surviving one. The more I looked into it, the more I came to the conclusion that the federal and state governments have done little or nothing to prepare for anything other than the natural disasters we experience every year and that a cyberattack would potentially be far, far worse.

You call the Internet a weapon of mass destruction.

The Internet obviously has millions of positive applications, but it is also a means by which a skillful hacker has the capability, anonymously from anywhere in the world, to interrupt much of the infrastructure procedure in this country, whether that applies to the banking system or a water system or the electric power system.

How likely is a major attack?

We have so many interlocking interests with the Russians, Chinese and Iranians that they're probably unlikely to launch a truly devastating cyberattack.

But the North Koreans have shown themselves to be quite reckless in the past. Might they do it? Possibly. Does an outfit like ISIS, which has acquired something like $2 billion, have the capability of hiring the sort of expertise that would be required to launch this kind of a cyberattack? The experts tell me "absolutely."

Ted Koppel on Cyberterrorism - Is the U.S. Prepared for a Cyberattack? - AARP

Lights Out: Has Ted Koppel Become a 'Rightwing' Survivalist?

Nothing in that interview says "survivalist" to me. Koppel indicates an awareness of how serious a cyberattack would be. He's not holed up in a bunker hoarding ammo and canned goods.

He's not holed up in a bunker hoarding ammo and canned goods.

He did mention that many Mormon families stockpile 3 months supplies of food...

... made me wonder if they are also storin' up supplies of gas and heating fuels...

... go check out the program, it's only the first 30 minutes of that day's show.

... made me wonder if they are also storin' up supplies of gas and heating fuels...

... go check out the program, it's only the first 30 minutes of that day's show.

Earthquake preparedness in California recommends stocking extra food, water, lanterns and batteries, and a first-aid kit. People in hurricane-prone areas often have generators. Informed and prepared is a lot different than buying gold because Glenn Beck has talked you into it.

You don't need to be some survivalist militia prepper type preparing for cyberattacks to see the value in keeping food and water on hand. There are any number of natural disasters everyone should be prepared for. Hurricanes, floods, blizzards, tornados, mudslides, traffic accidents, and so on may all disrupt electrical, water, or supply systems. I keep at least three months of food and water in the basement just in case something goes bad, just so I can provide for me and mine until the problems are resolved and so I can survive without having to hope help from the government shows up soon.

You should have three days food and water as a bare minimum, and that is stuff you don't need to cook. Stuff like cans of ravioli, PB and crackers, and instant coffee.

I can see food storage for any natural disaster preparedness but not in a militia stockpile weaponry way.

Forum List

Back