Lighter fluid or charcoal chimney?

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
i've been using the chimney, but i'm wondering if i should use lighter fluid, i'm getting tired of the chimney and lighter fluid seems easier....but i am concerned about the lighter fluid "taste" on my food....

any thoughts?

I prefer the chimney myself, especially when smoking the food, but I have been known to use both. Not at the same time.

If you dont start cooking immedialtely after lighting coals with lighter fluid, you wont taste it.

You need to let the coals get a grey color to them and your good to go.

I use both. I am able to get more coals hot faster with fluid, but if I just want to light the lil smokey I use the chimney. Both work great.

We do alot BBQ'ing here Texas.

We prefer an electric lighter. It does not give the chemical taste or smell of lighter fluid and is easier and more reliable then the chimney. Though at the beach the chimney is our first choice after electric.

i've been using the chimney, but i'm wondering if i should use lighter fluid, i'm getting tired of the chimney and lighter fluid seems easier....but i am concerned about the lighter fluid "taste" on my food....

any thoughts?

I put plenty of coals on the grill when doing large amount of grilling then add the coals from the chimney on top. I figure I save on burning the fluid and doing my part for global warming. :lol: Really I just don't like the smell of fluid. ;)

We did fluid for years and The Infidel is right, you have to let the coals get grey or you will taste the fluid.

We switched to gas for a few years. Gas is for wimps.

Back to Weber and we use a chimney. We love the charcoal taste and it works easily and there's never that fluid taste.

Forum List

Back